• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dash swap 92 to 88.. yes you read that right

CleeJay92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I like the look of the older dash from an 87-88. I am hoping that someone knows if you can swap an older dash into a newer cab with out much difficulty. I'm working on a 92 project. I think the cabs are identical, but will there be a need for a different wiring harness or mounting brakets?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It can be done. I have a 91 dash harness running my 87 dash, which is effectively the swap you want to do. Mounting is identical.

The wiring is a real PITA, and I wish I had taken better, or even any, notes when I built that harness, because the pinouts on the clusters are not the same., and the pins have to be moved around the plugs at the cluster. Fuse block mounts in directly, radio plugs are the same. Wiper and turn signal plugs are different, will require some modifications.

CleeJay92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
It can be done. I have a 91 dash harness running my 87 dash, which is effectively the swap you want to do. Mounting is identical.

The wiring is a real PITA, and I wish I had taken better, or even any, notes when I built that harness, because the pinouts on the clusters are not the same., and the pins have to be moved around the plugs at the cluster. Fuse block mounts in directly, radio plugs are the same. Wiper and turn signal plugs are different, will require some modifications.

Sweet. So the air ducting and the fit is the same? That faux wood grain and the cluster is just way more appealing to me than any new replacement or the actual cluster from the 92. I should've looked for an 87-88. But when the truck was only 700 bucks to begin with, I took it on.

CleeJay92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Also, I have the whole cab from the 88.. would it be easier to wire the harness from the 88 spliced into the existing harness in my 92? I'm an extra noob btw.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, I have the whole cab from the 88.. would it be easier to wire the harness from the 88 spliced into the existing harness in my 92? I'm an extra noob btw.
There are multiple ways to approach this issue.

Some people use a complete harness set matched to the dash. Some make an adapter to go between the two mismatched harnesses. I seem to be the only one interested in converting the newer harness to plug into the older dash.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
"without much difficulty"... I just did this, I put a '92 dash into one of my '88s as part of a 4.0 swap. Here's what I ran into

- the big cannon plug in '92 needs the correct size hole in the firewall (not there on '88)
- first gen steering column does not attach well to the second gen pedal bracket nor does it look right with a second gen dash
- second gen column does not bolt onto the firewall, the hole is too small, so you'll need to modify your '88 firewall. I opted to cut a whole section out of a newer cab and rivet it in place
- second gen pedal assembly (needed for second gen column and dash) does not fit the first gen firewall very well, needed extra reinforcement and some things cut off
- upper dash attachment screw locations are different - I cut these off a newer cab and welded them onto mine and had to bend some of them to fit
- lower dash attachment bolts - driver's side one is fine, passenger side one will need a tab added to the '88 pillar (doesn't exist on 1st gens)
- clutch slave cylinder push rod (if you have a manual) will be too short no matter what with second gen pedals. I had to make mine over an inch longer and adjustable
- HVAC plenums are similar, fortunately enough so that you use original under the hood and the '92 parts in the cab - the defrost section is different so the first gen HVAC plenum won't work
- Cab wiring - use whatever you have from the '92, the plugs are different, it's routed differently, etc
- additionally, using the '88 fuel level sender, your new '92 cluster will not read your fuel level correctly, so you'll need to modify your sending unit to fix that
- If you use the '92 dash harness, you will also be using the '92 headlight harness, which requires different plugs soldered on for your headlights

If you got through all that, you can probably guess by now that it's a pretty big project. I had roughly a solid month into mine between researching stuff, tracking down parts, etc

If you're doing this as part of a 4.0 swap... go for it... if you are doing it simply for appearance, I really, really would stress that it is a huge project.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cannon plug fits just fine on my 87,

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here's a couple pics of the firewall... you can see where the column goes through on the second gen (big hole, left metal piece) and the same hole on the first gen is much smaller/bolts in wrong places.

I was a little premature regarding the cannon plug, it fits, but doesn't lock into the firewall. I sectioned that part out of a newer cab and welded it in place so that the dash part of the plug clips in place. Not 100% necessary but it's helpful.

Interior view after the firewall was modified for the second gen column

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals