• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Cleaned the shop this morning and found the axle tag in the drain pan. Turns out this thing has 3.27 gears! This means 4.56s are gonna be crazy spunky.

Also slapped in a cheap radio and two kicker speakers, got everything for $106 on crutchfield with the use of old rewards points and buying scratch and dent products.

Bumper grinding has begun it’s a lot uhgg

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bumper is done enough for me, many low spots where enough weld wasn’t added to grind it flush but oh well. I’m gonna beat it up anyway. Jeep Liberty PS swap was fairly easy, only downside is that I still have 90% of the whine I could hear while driving. Pretty sure it’s input shaft bearing on the tranny.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Truck got a tad warm on the way home today, it was mid 80s out and I got in some traffic. Not sure if the fan was in because it’s not loud enough or hear from inside the truck, but it was in when I got home. Temps did drop as I got into a backroad and was able to cruise at 45mph so I’m assuming either the fan wasn’t on or it’s not enough airflow. Might have to swap it for a spal.

I will admit I didn’t have the coolant overflow tank filled, but the radiator was full when I checked.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think I found the overheating issue, the really nice Deutsch connector I used to connect the fan to the relay harness is bad. Not sure if one of the pins isn’t crimped well enough or what, but if I jiggle the connector it comes right on. Gonna rewire that in the morning and see if it gets warm at all tomorrow.

My smittybuilt center console showed up today. $66 on sale on Amazon and this thing is freaking nice! Locks well and feels fairly durable. The pad is very comfy although it’s a little far back to rest your arm on while driving, gonna wait in mounting it until I figure out if I want to remove the cup holders so it will slide closer to the shifter or what.

I also picked up more free 4x4 steel and some thick wall tube. I might highcut the fenders and wrap the bumper all the way around, similar to how a lot of Toyota guys do it now.

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just an FYI Deutsch connectors are only rated for like 15 amps tops if I remember right, that's about the running amperage on most electric fans, so it might be overheating the contacts and wiggling resets to a new spot...

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just an FYI Deutsch connectors are only rated for like 15 amps tops if I remember right, that's about the running amperage on most electric fans, so it might be overheating the contacts and wiggling resets to a new spot...
I never even thought about that, looks like the Deutsch connector I used are rated for about 13amps, the fan draws 12amps. I’m about to go pull the connector apart and see if possibly the pins are loose or anything but I may order a higher rated connector.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fan rewired with a different connector, something I had laying around from an off-road light harness. Didn’t get hot the entire trip to work and I even let it idle for a few minutes, I think it’s good but I’ll give it another day or so of testing before I’m confident.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That rear bumper looks pretty squared up now... looks like you lowered the passenger side.

I almost bought one of those smittybuilt consoles. I think the only one I saw was like 9 inches wide. How wide is the one you bought?

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That rear bumper looks pretty squared up now... looks like you lowered the passenger side.

I almost bought one of those smittybuilt consoles. I think the only one I saw was like 9 inches wide. How wide is the one you bought?
Yep I was unable to get the driver side up without cutting off the mount and re welding it which was more work than slapping in a few washers.

The console is 9” wide and it fits perfect between these mustang seats and the seat belt female side, just wish the cushion was further forward. I would have bought the black cushion model but it was $30 more.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yeah I was going to put that console in my pick up... I have the 60/40 split bench. I would have had to make them buckets and wasn't sure that it would fit. I have a Tuffy console going in my Bronco II and bought the 6 inch wide version. The 8 inch wide probably would have rubbed on the seat tracks and made seat belts harder to access.

That was a good deal though... I saw them at 4WP for about the same price. But that deal is gone now.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I was going to put that console in my pick up... I have the 60/40 split bench. I would have had to make them buckets and wasn't sure that it would fit. I have a Tuffy console going in my Bronco II and bought the 6 inch wide version. The 8 inch wide probably would have rubbed on the seat tracks and made seat belts harder to access.

That was a good deal though... I saw them at 4WP for about the same price. But that deal is gone now.
I was really close to buying an original explorer console, but it cost more and then I’d have to deal with old brittle plastic. I’m super shocked that even the cup holders which had the most negative comments seem to be fine for me. They aren’t the best design ever, but heck most new vehicles have garbage cup holders anyway.

Those tuffy consoles are nice, the price is too steep for me tho.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Started sounded funny last night and didn’t actually start the truck so I took a look at it, and found it very loose. Tightened it back up but the damage was already done. The thing had been making noise since day one, but I wasn’t 100% convinced it was the starter since sometimes the noise would go away for days. Turns out I ordered one for an auto trans and there is a small difference I was unaware of which led to this. Oh well, that was a cheap amazon/china starter. I picked up a nicer looking Delco Gold replacement that hopefully won’t make any noise.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wow the new starter seems to have fixed several things. Along with the weird rattle noise in startup there was a deeper low knocking sound that I kinda thought might have been something not getting oil right away during cranking. I even added a qt of atf to the oil for awhile to clean out whatever sludge might still be in the oil galley. It seems the new proper starter made that noise go away too so I’m thrilled!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome stuff there Dan, I like what you've done with it. I got a 96 Explorer back-up motor for mine too but the original one is still in @ 358,000. What happen to your front auto-hubs? I have a few parts I could swap if you still have them and don't want them. I have stuff like starters and alternators. I got an Explorer console of some sort once but never did put it in, I actually got to liking the homemade box they had in it better

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Awesome stuff there Dan, I like what you've done with it. I got a 96 Explorer back-up motor for mine too but the original one is still in @ 358,000. What happen to your front auto-hubs? I have a few parts I could swap if you still have them and don't want them. I have stuff like starters and alternators. I got an Explorer console of some sort once but never did put it in, I actually got to liking the homemade box they had in it better
Thank you Josh! I hope this motor makes it a long time, it sure runs good! The auto hubs are still in the truck, in fact I have yet to look at anything hub/brake related but I might try to today. My 4x4 shift module fails the basic self test so until I get a new one I don’t know if the hubs are good or not. I have a set of manual hubs on my parts shelf, and I would prefer them just to keep stuff from spinning while commuting, but I’m not sure what I’ll do about the center caps.

I’ll keep in mind that you’ve got some parts for trade, I have all the accessories from the old motor still but if they work is questionable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals