• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That module should engage whether the lights work or not, mine did anyway, I just went and checked it.
Key on, push 4x4, listen for a soft bumb. push 4x4 L listen for another. Same backing out
Yeah I’m not getting any noise, my thought was it’s the selector motor, but since the connector is showing it doesn’t have continuity with the speed sensor that’s my next guess.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I’m not getting any noise, my thought was it’s the selector motor, but since the connector is showing it doesn’t have continuity with the speed sensor that’s my next guess.
On mine any speed sensor should have nothing to do with it below 55 mph
I don't make a habit of engaging it at that speed but the claims all say up to 55

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On mine any speed sensor should have nothing to do with it below 55 mph
I don't make a habit of engaging it at that speed but the claims all say up to 55
Fair point, but if the lack of connectivity defaults the module to think it’s over 55mph then it wouldn’t engage period.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am not certain about that either but I won't be testing it. All I have though advises against it

You will likely get better details from later posts, I am just a novice beside most of these guys :)

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am not certain about that either but I won't be testing it. All I have though advises against it

You will likely get better details from later posts, I am just a novice beside most of these guys :)
So much good info here, sometimes it’s just hard to find the wording required to find what your looking for lol.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've not kept up on aftermarket steel braided hoses but it used to be they would be more likely to break than stockers... and stock lines work fine... heck I'm running '95ish Suburban brake lines up front... I need to look up those part numbers again and keep that on hand if I do ever break one...

I'm curious what they did to those leaf springs, maybe F150 springs?

There's a wheel bearing lock nut kit with both nuts and the washer available in the aftermarket, don't remember that part number off hand either, but find yourself a Dana 44 hub socket and that's all you need for that, to get the odd auto hub nuts off you just need a strong magnet to pull the lock key out of the keyway while turning the nut both ways a little bit with a pair of big channel lock pliers... no need for a giant socket, it shouldn't be that tight...

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've not kept up on aftermarket steel braided hoses but it used to be they would be more likely to break than stockers... and stock lines work fine... heck I'm running '95ish Suburban brake lines up front... I need to look up those part numbers again and keep that on hand if I do ever break one...

I'm curious what they did to those leaf springs, maybe F150 springs?

There's a wheel bearing lock nut kit with both nuts and the washer available in the aftermarket, don't remember that part number off hand either, but find yourself a Dana 44 hub socket and that's all you need for that, to get the odd auto hub nuts off you just need a strong magnet to pull the lock key out of the keyway while turning the nut both ways a little bit with a pair of big channel lock pliers... no need for a giant socket, it shouldn't be that tight...
That’s good to know about the hub swap, I ordered new wheel bearings to go with it so when they come in I’ll jump back on that.

The brake lines on the truck now are cracked all over, and rusty on each end. I’ve always replaced old rubber lines with stainless braided ones on vehicles I plan to keep a long time. Yeah OEM rubber will probably last 25years, but the stainless lines seem to marginally help with pedal feel, and should be a little tougher in case a stick jumps up and tried to grab one.

I wish I could find a tag on the leafs, but I don’t see any identifying markings. The truck doesn’t appear to be very tall so I would be surprised if it had anything more than the body lift. If it has lift springs up front they went on in the 90s because they match the patina of the frame. The shocks on all four corners and solid black and appear to be an OEM type which also points towards stock suspension. The only oddity I can find is the lack of lift blocks, and funky u bolt setup.

I just measured and the truck sits at 38” fender to ground height on all four corners so maybe they ditched the blocks to reverse level the truck after the body lift.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Finally changed the oil, I had added a qt of atf to the oil shortly after I got it running and felt 500 miles was plenty of cleaning. Probably should have changed it sooner, the drain plug had a little more gunk on it then I’d like, and the filter actually had some sludge caught under the filter element. I didn’t find any large pieces of anything, and no real glitter which is good. I’ll run this oil for 1k and change again, with a full synthetic and better longer lasting filter. Probably Fram gold, since they are an all metal construction inside. It’s likely this truck will get less than 5k miles a year so a yearly oil change interval should be fine for it.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure that 4.56 exists for the front axle. Check before you start.

PS Welcome to TRS.
Yeah I do t think they will fit anything larger then a 4.10 because they physically won't fit but I may be wrong... Only rbv 4x4 I've had was an 87 that I rolled in a field before I could even drive and a 98 exp 5.0 awd so wtf do I know!!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I do t think they will fit anything larger then a 4.10 because they physically won't fit but I may be wrong... Only rbv 4x4 I've had was an 87 that I rolled in a field before I could even drive and a 98 exp 5.0 awd so wtf do I know!!!
I have 5.13 for front and rear. So they do make higher numbers than 4.10, just not sure about 4.56....

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have 5.13 for front and rear. So they do make higher numbers than 4.10, just not sure about 4.56....

I’ve actually found 4.11s and 4.56, looks like Yukon makes up to 5.13.

Now is the search for a torsen style front unit, I don’t think I need a full locker in the front.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! If I could find a 2.3 5spd 4x4 ranger that wasn't rusted out I wanna do a 4x4 build until then my knowledge is poopie!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have 5.13's in my '90, what they don't make 5.13's for is the Dana 28 and 7.5" I believe, they used to back in the day but I think there were only like 9 or 11 teeth on the pinions and they broke so they stopped... the matching ratio's are 4.10, 4.56 and 5.13, there's more options for the rear than front axles...

I'm running Nitro gears I got from the TRS store back in like 2010, they've been fine but I'm only putting the torque of a 2.3L Turbo to them, it's not like the torque of a 4.0L...

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got some more done today, finished the manual hub swap although it didn’t fix my 4x4 issue. I need to look at the T case encoder.

Also replaced the decaying front brake lines, added lift struts to my tool box, and replaced the PS pressure line that I could not get to stop leaking.

Forgot to order an AC condenser so AC is on hold another week.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would get rid of the coil spring twister lift thingys... no good can come from that.

Search the Tech Library for "washer lift". Far better choice IMHO then those coil spring twisters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals