• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Tried to start it today finally and it would turn over but didn’t want to fire off, even with ether sprayed down it. Also found out the filler neck has a huge hole in it so that needs replacing. Waiting on the radiator to show up still too, but hearing it turn over was a good sign.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m a moron and have the firing order wrong, I looked too quickly at the coil pack order when I was working on it because it was starting to rain. I’ll try swapping it and hitting the key again tomorrow!

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Slapped the radiator in, fixed the firing order, bolted they pipe up (still no real exhaust), and took this thing around my neighborhood! The 4.0 is peppy for what it is, need PS fixed, AC charged, exhaust finished, 4x4 looked at (I think it’s the hubs), windshield replaced, and the interior completely cleaned. So far I’m thrilled tho! Just under $3k in and it already has a lot of upgrades I wanted to do.
56839749-A05F-46D9-976D-C3E65AB67224.jpeg
3F2D83E4-CF02-4877-9980-FDC8CC233A6E.jpeg
D0DB24C3-B16C-40B3-8339-D8DE4C76E693.jpeg
8C2B9B4B-A789-432A-A23D-6AA7B116A19F.jpeg
8AC95AC7-BF21-4A61-99DD-E07580BE7147.jpeg
3A14EC47-92E5-466F-8AB2-0248F4DFA93A.jpeg
30C5AB45-6F63-4F8F-B7D6-4F763D97D40F.jpeg

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Started by stripping the interior today, then found the tailgate badge under the seat so it got glued back on. Then vacuumed down the AC which sucked down past 30# and held for over an hour. I stuck a can to it and it slurped up 12oz but the compressor is not kicking on. Instead of jumping it, I just left it be for now.

After the AC attempt I realized a bunch of stuff wasn’t hooked up on the motor because it would only run for a minute or two before shutting off. Found the Crank vent line missing so I capped the nipple on the intake tube, and ran the crank hose to a catch can I had lying around. Also replaced the broken ECT sensor that sends to the ECU which was likely one of the reasons it idled terrible.

Then I began to tackle wiring in the electric fan. I got everything wired but for some reason could not get it to turn on using the single wire sensor they sent with it. So I ordered a two wire sensor and bung so I can weld it into the radiator. Really had no way to install the single wire sensor anyway, I was testing it with a small torch heating the sensor. Also installed the new filler neck and dumped 5 gallons of fresh fuel in it!

Next on the list is to finish pulling the interior apart, wipe everything down with a rag and vinegar to get out the stink. Then dynamatt (ok I’m a cheap phuck it’s a knock off dynamatt) the entire cab, walls, doors, and roof. Probably gonna trash the disgusting head liner and live without one. Not sure I can stomach the thought of putting those seats back in so I need to start looking for some Edie Bauers.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Removed just about everything else and gave it all a good vinegar scrubbing. Laid down the majority of the sound deadened as well. So far I’m pretty pleased with the progress but can’t wait to have a day off to really get stuff done. Also had the new oil pressure sensor and window crank get delayed because the amazon truck got stuck down a dirt road next to my house, that has no reason for them to be on. There’s a perfectly good paved road to use.

I did find a tad bit of floorboard rust in the passenger side so I have a feeling the windshield that’s broken leaks.

EA4EE65A-002F-4A6C-8D94-0FADDA0BBAFE.jpeg
DD7DD0D6-9A83-4C8D-9022-16CFF1DE569C.jpeg
1C5AB605-450A-45A1-A820-F54D945BB855.jpeg
F29659C5-6B54-4D4A-BEE0-BD2920E9CFE3.jpeg

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got the shifter rebuilt, also cut the splines off the top, and welded a bolt to match the $11 aluminum shift ball I bought. Figured it was cheaper than the $25 OEM replacement that has mixed reviews.

Also got a set of 2011 Mustang seats bolted in using the original seat sliders and drilling a few holes to align them correctly. They are manual seats and fairly comfy, buddy wrecked this car a year or so ago which is why the airbag side is blown out. Gonna have a family member stitch that up the best they can this weekend, and I have the other headrest somewhere.

I feel like the 5 hours I spent in the heat box tin can garage I have would have yielded more progress. Tomorrow I’m going to swap fuel filters, look into the PS leak which I’m pretty sure is just a lines not hooked up. Look into the oil pressure sensor not reading, check on the exhaust flange I’m waiting on to be laser cut, and depending on what other parts show up I’ll try to knock those out.

I think the rust spot in the passenger floor has me irritated enough to go cut one out and weld it in whenever I end up at the JY next.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Cleaned up some awful wiring today, fixed the OP sensor by plugging it in, fixed the PS by attaching the line, and changed the fuel filter. Super pumped that it makes good OP, PS works and doesn’t whine, and the tranny is shifting much better.

Brakes are awful so that’s up on the list too look at, I’m thinking the booster isn’t getting vacuum.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
New tail lights, and another trip around the block from shop to house. Also put 12gallons of fresh fuel in it finally. The body lift is actually growing in me in every way except the rear bumper area. I have some pieces of 4x4” square tube that I may be able to fab up a high clearance bumper with hitch built in. That will also eliminate the ugly diamond plate tailgate/bumper gap cover. Need to get under the rear and hack out the spare tire mount and rear bumper to start eying that bumper build process. Same goes for that dumb frame support in the front someone half ripped out on this truck.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got the exhaust flange today and welded it up. Tried mocking up the GT Mustang mufflers and there’s no way they will fit. So I ordered some amazon straight through resonator and a walker quiet muffler for $75.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
New carpet came in as did the headlights and turn signals. Haven’t put the carpet in yet but the ugly water filled and cracked headlights are finally gone.

Going to TIG a bung into the radiator for the fan coolant temp sensor tomorrow. Then Thursday a windshield guy is coming to replace that, and I’ll likely finish up the interior, reinstall the cooling system, and fab an exhaust with plans to hopefully register it the following week. Waiting on the previous owner (my neighbor) to locate the title.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got one of the two mufflers on today, as well as wiring the Efan for a function test. The sensor is a 190*on/175*off and it took nearly a half hour to kick on, the big radiator kicks butt. Windshield guy is coming tomorrow, and then I need to look into the door handle not working again. I replaced the handle but realized the door look bar is not attached to anything. Gonna have to pull the other panel off to see how it’s supposed to go.

Here’s a video of it idling as I waited for the fans to kick on. Yes I need to clean up the fan wiring, this was just for proof of concept.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Read your thread on your ranger with work you have done..I like your ranger. Not a 4.0 person..your truck is amazing.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Read your thread on your ranger with work you have done..I like your ranger. Not a 4.0 person..your truck is amazing.
Thanks man! I actually wanted a 2.3 for mpg and maybe future turbo. Kinda wanted to run it on a haltech ECU and get nerdy with it but the 4.0 OHV was my next favorite option. Ive had two 2.9s and a 3.0 and didn’t care for either of them. So far this 4.0 feels super peppy! I got it up to 60 today and it had way more to give.

I gotta say both 2.9s and 3.0 had 200k+ on them not well maintained which is likely why they felt like such turds.

I was actually looking at pictures of your truck the other day, I love the green and wish mine was green or gold, reds my least fav. What radius arms are you running? I saw them peaking out from under in one pic.

Last edited:

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Thanks man! I actually wanted a 2.3 for mpg and maybe future turbo. Kinda wanted to run it on a haltech ECU and get nerdy with it but the 4.0 OHV was my next favorite option. Ive had two 2.9s and a 3.0 and didn’t care for either of them. So far this 4.0 feels super peppy! I got it up to 60 today and it had way more to give.

I gotta say both 2.9s and 3.0 had 200k+ on them not well maintained which is likely why they felt like such turds.

I was actually looking at pictures of your truck the other day, I love the green and wish mine was green or gold, reds my least fav. What radius arms are you running? I saw them peaking out from under in one pic.
A 2.3 4wd ranger..lol, with a turbo that would be fun. I grew up with all engine, work with what you have..all the gear heads I have known here and all thru southern California. Knew and meet a lot of famous engine and car builders, even those that did in thier garage. Most 4wd rangers came with the 4.0, small percentage of them had the 2.3 and 3.0. Never been a fan of the 2.9. I have a 3.0 in my 94, bought him new in 94, he now has 631,777 miles. I had my original 3.0 rebuilt in 2002 at 300,000 miles. Then in 2017 at 560,000 miles i bought a good used long block from my friends yard and took it back to the same engine builder for a more thorough build. Block is .030, stonger pistos, had work done on the cam and crank shafts, 3 angle valve job on the heads, upper and lower intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds port and polished to match all that was being done. With a 5spd, 410 gears and posi rear end..a Flowmaster 44 running 2.5 piping..my ole friend does extremely good. I bought alot of Motorcraft parts for this build, lifters, oil pump, water pump, timing chain and gears, etc.

Any engine not maintained will be shut, and not go without many issues, have seen it all.

Appreciate your sayings about mine. Green has always been a favorite color of mine. Had it repainted in 99, keep care of it. Don't let Ron d catch you saying that about red..his favorite color..lol..

Those radius arms were custom built for my ranger back in 2001..he also built custom traction bars similar to a 4 link setup that prerunners use in desert racing, this was also done in 2001. He has a fab shop that he built off road suspensions, he raced in the Baja 500, 1000 races all the time. I will get a closer picture of those and the traction bars soon.

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A 2.3 4wd ranger..lol, with a turbo that would be fun. I grew up with all engine, work with what you have..all the gear heads I have known here and all thru southern California. Knew and meet a lot of famous engine and car builders, even those that did in thier garage. Most 4wd rangers came with the 4.0, small percentage of them had the 2.3 and 3.0. Never been a fan of the 2.9. I have a 3.0 in my 94, bought him new in 94, he now has 631,777 miles. I had my original 3.0 rebuilt in 2002 at 300,000 miles. Then in 2017 at 560,000 miles i bought a good used long block from my friends yard and took it back to the same engine builder for a more thorough build. Block is .030, stonger pistos, had work done on the cam and crank shafts, 3 angle valve job on the heads, upper and lower intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds port and polished to match all that was being done. With a 5spd, 410 gears and posi rear end..a Flowmaster 44 running 2.5 piping..my ole friend does extremely good. I bought alot of Motorcraft parts for this build, lifters, oil pump, water pump, timing chain and gears, etc.

Any engine not maintained will be shut, and not go without many issues, have seen it all.

Appreciate your sayings about mine. Green has always been a favorite color of mine. Had it repainted in 99, keep care of it. Don't let Ron d catch you saying that about red..his favorite color..lol..

Those radius arms were custom built for my ranger back in 2001..he also built custom traction bars similar to a 4 link setup that prerunners use in desert racing, this was also done in 2001. He has a fab shop that he built off road suspensions, he raced in the Baja 500, 1000 races all the time. I will get a closer picture of those and the traction bbars soon.
Dang that thing is a sleeper! I wouldn’t have guessed it had that many miles or that much done to it. How do you like the “built” 3.0? What’s mpg like?

My exhaust is going to be 2.5” and I should have it finished tomorrow if I get time. Didn’t really do it to make it “faster” or sound good. The dual straight pipes there were rusting off the truck and held up by an extension cord could not stay tho. The headers were really only bought because I assumed the truck had EGR and I was planning on ditching that.

I’m fairly well versed in hotrod stuff, I daily drive a manual trans swapped 04 Tahoe with a 10.5:1 cr 6.0, with ported corvette heads and mild cam. Also have a Silverado with a supercharged ls motor that needs to go back in it. Had it out for a refresh and haven’t had a chance to pull it into the shop, there’s a lot of little stuff I want to redo on that truck.

Also I’m curious, why don’t you care for the 4.0?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals