• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 60 and 54" boggers question

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey im wondering if i got dana 60s and put 5.38 gears and detroit lockers with choromoly axles and put it under my 92 ranger extended cab if it would be able to handle the 54" bogger. i only do the mud and hill climbing no rocks :headbang: :D

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No go on the Detroits. Don't know what's up with their new stuff but they have went to shit. Have seen 3 explode in the past 4 or 5 months. The old Detroits were damn near bulletproof so I don't know what they've changed.
Even with 60s, 54s would be pushing the limits. Those sound more like Rockwell tires. If you do get 60s be sure to get kingpin style and change the knuckles. They are prone to breaking.

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Yep what he said. 54" boggers are big boy territory.

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya but you see full sized trucks with dana 60s with 44"s out wheeling with no problems and some have heavy feet to so cant see why i cant even run 44s on 60s cause i would be still half the weight of full sized trucks

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's not really the size of the truck (well that has some to do with it) but the rotational mass of a 54" tire is so much greater than a 44". That's where the problems come from. A 54x19.5x17 weighs 199 lbs. plus your wheel. A 44x19.5x16.5 (closest size comparison) weighs 145 lbs. That's an extra 50 lbs of force you are putting on every axle. Spinning in the mud means higher RPMs so you see how this can get out of control very quickly.
Now if you're a mall-rat I'd say go for it. If you plan to actually wheel it and have enough motor to turn them, I'd go with the bigger axles. Hell you can buy a set of Rocks cheaper than just the front 60 will cost anyway.

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
rocks just look queerish so that why im looking at 60s or maybe 80s

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
60s and 44" would be good for me to with a nice healthy 427 should turn them

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
rocks just look queerish so that why im looking at 60s or maybe 80s
Don't get what you mean by "look queerish". To me they look like you are ready for anything. Don't know of a front Dana 80.
If you are ready to put that much motor in a Ranger then slappin a set of Rocks in should be no problem.

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i hate the look of rocks but front axles out of a f550 or 6500 should handle 44" even

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i hate the look of rocks but front axles out of a f550 or 6500 should handle 44" even
these axles have the same outers(the weak link)as the 1ton 60.you won't get an advantage.go rocks,or spend big to biuld the 60 big.

badblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
go with a set of portals like the IR ones from a off road fork lift the smallest tire i would run with those is a set of 49" they are 19:1 or 27:1 steering rams and brakes built in.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
these axles have the same outers(the weak link)as the 1ton 60.you won't get an advantage.go rocks,or spend big to biuld the 60 big.
You wont get an advantage with a stocker 2.5 rockwell either, You have to upgrade to overson eng. stuff or you have shafts same strength as 60.

If you do get 60s be sure to get kingpin style and change the knuckles. They are prone to breaking.
the BJ debate is so 4yrs ago. People started realizing that the BJ axles hold up fine and are actually significantly stronger than stock kingpin knuckles/inner C's. A BJ 60 can easily handle 44"+

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You wont get an advantage with a stocker 2.5 rockwell either, You have to upgrade to overson eng. stuff or you have shafts same strength as 60.
i've heard this arguement.....i don't have enough personal experience with the rockwells to debate it,but i woud hope they would be better than the 30 spline outers in the stock 60-but also keeping in mind the crazy torque multiplication from the rock's gear ratio would shatter a bigger shaft with the same power input.you usually don't find 7+ gears in 60's.

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
Buddies run all rockwells on their trucks their sittin on bout 6 foot of tractor tire w/ big blocks turnin them i like the strength of RW but one axle weighs round 900# then add tire weight and RW's will let you know ur next weak link real quick... They twisted and snapped drive shafts went to all square tubed drive shafts fixed that then started eatin t-cases which gets pricy, so they divorced w/ military cases now they started breakin the 4 link that holds the whole system in the air( a 1"-5/8 bolt rated for 90.000 lb shear/260,000 tinsil...) i got a geared D44 that ate axles quicker than i can change my mind, went all chromoly and aint had a prob since. I aint got the tire they got but i can go air born never lettin off the gas an not break an axle. unless you dont mind down time for shipping parts and got a deep pocket shoot for rockwell otherwise i dont recomend them (but thats one opinion to the next) Not to forget when ur stuck aint no average lifted truck pullin you out, buy a track-ho with the axles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals