• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting edis to dizzy

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard rumor that you can convert a 4.0l with edis to distributed by putting a dizzy from a 3.0l into a hole that's supposed to exist on what I believe is the back of the driverside head so it will function. Thusly you can delete the edis system (for whatever reasons you have).

And you only need the associated parts to go along with the dizzy.

Anyone heard of this or done it? I can't find the plug that's supposed to exist anywhere on mine.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Why the hell would you want to??? EDIS is a simple system, it works great, easy to repair, most of the parts will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

With that being said, lets move on...
The "plug" on your truck is actually the cam synchronizer. It's at the back of the engine, behind the intake, just a little offset to the pass side. I find it hard to believe that a 3.0 distributor will fit a 4.0 block... You can't even drop an OHV cam sync into a SOHC block, (hell, Ford made 2 different length cam syncs for the OHV, those arent even interchangeable) do you really think a totally different engine will be designed to use the same exact dimension distributor?

Someone once told me "Ford never builds the same part twice".

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why the hell would you want to??? EDIS is a simple system, it works great, easy to repair, most of the parts will outlast the rest of the vehicle.

With that being said, lets move on...
The "plug" on your truck is actually the cam synchronizer. It's at the back of the engine, behind the intake, just a little offset to the pass side. I find it hard to believe that a 3.0 distributor will fit a 4.0 block... You can't even drop an OHV cam sync into a SOHC block, (hell, Ford made 2 different length cam syncs for the OHV, those arent even interchangeable) do you really think a totally different engine will be designed to use the same exact dimension distributor?

Someone once told me "Ford never builds the same part twice".

^^^ what he said, Bro. Don't waste the time to try this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
While I agree this idea is worthless as anything but a though exercise because EDIS is in every way superior to distributor, but yes, it can be done. You need an early build 4.0 and a 2.9 distributor.

The wiring is a nightmare.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, my wiring is ****ed up royally I'm guessing. I'm finally getting to make time to tear into it hopefully this weekend or so. I was thinking if all you need is to pull a plug, bolt in a dizzy, install some wires, reroute plug wires, and set timing, that'd be a hell of a lot less of a headache than sorting out the ignition issue I have. Since noone can seem to lead me anywhere in the right direction (I've posted on multiple forums, and this one multiple times, it's either unexplainable or ignored it seems). EDIT: if you've followed along with those threads, IIRC, I posted all the stuff I had done to it less than managing to find a brand new wiring harness.

I KNOW that the dizzy conversion CAN be done, as I've seen a truck with it (the guy moved back to Minnesota in july when he got out of the corps though). He had a built 4.0l, super charged and distributed in a B2. Yes, obviously he swapped that motor in.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This page has EDIS pin diagrams: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm
Here too: http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html

At the bottom

The Ford computer will need the PIP signal, not sure on the SAW signal
That is for timing the fuel injectors, and you do need some method to tell computer when and which injectors need to be opened, same as spark timing.
You have a Batch fire system but still need correct timing.
So a simple distributor with points and a coil won't work unless you also swap to a carb.

Here is a link to the TFI ignition wiring: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

This will be the system from a 2.9l.
3.0l distributor won't work.

As said above the wiring for the EDIS system is much simpler and would be much easier to repair or even install from scratch, not to mention much more reliable.
EDIS is basically a stand alone system, like the TFI system, it sends crank timing signals to the computer, and gets "heads up" from computer to advance or retard spark timing, but as said in the articles above, the engine can run fine without the "heads up" from a computer.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I have a harness that will work for you. I'd have to look though.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, I don't know how he did it exactly less that it can be done.

Adsm, it's a federal emissions.

I work next to the communication repair shop in my unit, and one of the guys is a jeeper. He reviewed my diagrams and is thinking it could simply be a bad noise capacitor or lack of ground on it. So I have some more deadlining little issues than I could try. Since we work ridiculous hours maybe on the weekend we can tear into it more. It's nice having guys who actually understand electronic stuff handy, as most of us aren't.

I personally don't think it's that simple, but if it is you won't hear me complaining. But he will probably be enjoying a 6 pack lol.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
................... I can't find the plug that's supposed to exist anywhere on mine.
It is on the block, behind the lower intake, it isn't simply a plug, under the cap(plug) is the oil pump drive shaft.
So the lower part of a distributor is in there, cam gear drives the oil pump, same as most OHV "V" engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals