• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Call the Ranger abuse hotline!!! 1-800-SAV-RNGR

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
I had a customer come in the other day that said he had an oil leak and was using a lot of oil. He bragged that he has spent little or no money on his Ranger and wanted us to look at it because it was raining out. Well I put it up on the lift and sure enough you could see that little had ever been done to his truck.
I have had to replace oil pans in the past for rust thru BUT this is the first time I have ever had to change the OIL FILTER because the Motorcraft casing was rusted to the point of leaking. He said " Go ahead change the oil and filter and by the way here is a coupon for $19.95." I figure it was on there at least 3 years and who knows how many miles.
Has anyone else seen a ranger in danger report them here.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anytime i see a ranger going down the road that doesnt belong to me i feel its a ranger in danger lol

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
What did the oil look like? Should have saved an oil sample and sent it into Blackstone labs for an oil analysis. Would have been interesting to see what they said the health of his engine.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Wow....the ranger abuse hotline people woulda thrown me in prision for how i treated rusty back in the day...i always cheged the oil though...

later,
Dustin

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I saw one once that hadn't had an oil change in about 35,000 miles. I think that may have been the only time it was changed in 70,000. Anyway, the gunk build up was enough that it had managed to get one of the dump buckets off the valve stem and so the cam was pushing right on the valve.

Saw another around the same time, similar oil change conditions but a 3.0. We pulled the drain plug out to change the oil and nothing came out. It showed an ok level on the dipstick, but nothing came out when you pulled the plug.

2 cans of BG MOA and an engine flush later we told them they should probably be changing their oil closer to every 2000 miles.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Saw another around the same time, similar oil change conditions but a 3.0. We pulled the drain plug out to change the oil and nothing came out. It showed an ok level on the dipstick, but nothing came out when you pulled the plug.
Heh... my buddy's S10 did that the last time I did an oil change for him. I had to poke a screwdriver through a layer of goo to remove the two quarts that were in it. He said it had been about 15,000 miles since his last change but I think it was more like 25,000. He is just clueless... it started leaking oil really bad recently too and he's like, "I need to add oil when the oil pressure gauge drops to zero right?"

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Heh... my buddy's S10 did that the last time I did an oil change for him. I had to poke a screwdriver through a layer of goo to remove the two quarts that were in it. He said it had been about 15,000 miles since his last change but I think it was more like 25,000. He is just clueless... it started leaking oil really bad recently too and he's like, "I need to add oil when the oil pressure gauge drops to zero right?"
LMAO!!! As long as there's a puddle forming in the driveway overnight, that means you still have oil in the pan...carry on with your day! It's when you go to leave in the morning and the puddle isn't there...that's when you have to start worrying. :icon_twisted:

You should've just left the goo IN the truck....that's probably what was keeping it from leaking to begin with. :icon_idea:

My dad had that problem with his transmission. Got it flushed and the problems started coming out of the wood-work. The shop tech told him it was probably gunk that was making it run right and when they flushed it out, that's when s**t started going wonky.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My dad had that problem with his transmission. Got it flushed and the problems started coming out of the wood-work. The shop tech told him it was probably gunk that was making it run right and when they flushed it out, that's when s**t started going wonky.
That does happen and it's why a lot of people are actually against trans flushes.

The thing they don't consider is that if the trans is in bad enough shape that basic maintenance kills it, it probably didn't have long to live anyway.

jhammel85

Why can't people change oil / have their oil changed....I really think it is my biggest automotive pet peeve..

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If a transmission is properly maintained, it wont have any gunk in it to begin with. And you certainly shouldn't have to rely on gunk to hold it together. If a trans dies after a flush, it would've died soon anyway. Flushes do NOT kill transmissions. Not maintaining them DOES.

Navyrs

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LMAO!!! As long as there's a puddle forming in the driveway overnight, that means you still have oil in the pan...carry on with your day! It's when you go to leave in the morning and the puddle isn't there...that's when you have to start worrying. :icon_twisted:.
Thats what I say about the helicopters I fly in. Its good if its leaking, its empty if it stops. :headbang:

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thats what I say about the helicopters I fly in. Its good if its leaking, its empty if it stops. :headbang:
:shok: lol...if i'm ever in Jacksonville, I'll be heading for cover whenever a chopper flies overhead. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals