• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Build Thread - 1-ton Chevy Swap

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Bray D and I went out to the BadLands last weekend (8/14 & 8/15), and I followed him pretty well for a full-size truck. Took a few bypasses and had to do a couple of 30-point turnabouts, but the truck performed quite well, despite failing the electric fan and overheating by the Lunchtime Sunday. :thefinger:

I did discover that rock sliders probably aren't the most important thing on my list anymore, driveshaft protection has moved up to near the top. I'd also like to install a set of bucket seats (or racing seats) instead of the factory bench. Other than that, I just need to fix the tail light wiring and start driving it again to get more comfortable with it. Wheeling a full-size is MUCH different than wheeling a mini truck.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did he make you ruin your drive shaft too?? Last time I followed him I had to rplace mine!!

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Did he make you ruin your drive shaft too?? Last time I followed him I had to rplace mine!!

Didn't damage it to the point of needing to be replaced, just kissed a rock with it. Luckily for me...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Muahaha. That sucked. You're new one looks pretty good though :icon_thumby:

As far as seats go I'd get a factory style bucket. I was thinking of going with a racing style bucket as well (my driver's seat is starting to tear), but I lean out of my tube doors so much that the side supports on a racing seat would end up killing my back. I think a more conservative seat would be more comfortable for trail riding.

You need to pull the doors off that beast!

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, haven't done anything in a couple weeks, but thought I'd update this a bit for ryan. :thefinger:

The air enters through the bottom of the unit, and is swirled by the angled "vanes" that you can see in the black base. Once spinning, particulate is driven up the conical inner surface of the cup, and eventually slug outwards via centrifugal force. The "clean" air then enters through the center and down into the intake tube. This will feed a conventional air filter, although Donaldson claims these will trap 80% of particulate matter prior to entering the filter element.

I'm going to try to cut out the hood flange tomorrow if I can get out there. I injured my knee last weekend, and I'm still hobbling around a little.
those things work great, we have one on our backhoe....

where did you pick it up at?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
As far as seats go I'd get a factory style bucket.
Maybe I'll go down to Neals or Darst this weekend to see what they have. Everyone on the internet wants like $300 for a set of factory buckets, the Summit seats are $36 each and I already have covers for them. We'll see.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
So I suppose I should update this thread.... :icon_twisted:

I've listed the truck for sale on a few other websites, and once the consistently nice weather is here, I'm going to park it up at the corner in town over a weekend and see if I can't get some more attention. I'm asking $7k OBO. Looking to buy a Polaris Sportsman to continue the more responsible end of the hobby.

If I don't sell it, I'm going to put it on a serious diet. I want to loose about 300-500#, maybe more. Cutting 1,000# would be awesome.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Going from a truck to a quad? You'll be back, it's only a matter of time. Ask me how I know lol. What do you mean by "more responsible end of the hobby"?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
a quad causes less damage usually... but if your driving where you should be it shouldnt be a huge problem

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quads are financially and logistically easier to own and wheel.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that, I had $7k in my quad, which is more than I have in the entire build of my truck. As of a few years ago, I could legally take my truck way more places than I could take my quad, which is the main reason I sold it last year. Of course maintaining a quad is definitely easier on the wallet, but not enough to really consider it much "financially easier" than a properly built 4x4.

My quad was a blast, don't get me wrong. I'm really glad I purchased one and had all the good times and experiences I had with it, but at the end of the day, I enjoy wheeling a pickup (or whatever) more than I did riding.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i find trucks cheaper by far and prefer them, but to each his own

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The amount of money someone puts into a vehicle is of their own discretion. I could buy an entire quad for the amount of money I've got into my front axle. That being said, you could buy an entire truck for the price some people have into the quad suspensions/etc.

I can haul a quad in the bed of my ranger. I cannot haul a truck in the bed of my ranger. Wheeling a truck requires an adequate tow rig, trailer, license/maintenance/insurance for each as well. If you drive your rig on the road, you've still gotta pay license and insurance, and maintenance skyrockets as it has to be able to safely travel at those speeds without worrying about catastrophic failure.

Quads are smaller, easier to store, easier to load, cheaper to maintain, already built for offroading, and all around easier to own. If you wanna go wheelin, you toss it in the bed of your truck and go. If you wanna wheel your truck, you hook the tow rig to the trailer, make sure all your tires are up to pressure, make sure the trailer still operates properly, trailer brakes still work, trailer lights still work, load the rig on the trailer, strap it all down, blah blah blah.

Trucks are a pain in the ass lol.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Anything with tires or boobs is a pain in the ass, but both have their good moments :icon_rofl:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals