• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Squeal: Can it be anything else other than a bad caliper?

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Brake Squeal: Can it be anything else other than a bad caliper? - Fixed

I recently replaced my front brakes with Motorcraft rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pads. The copper colored clips for the pads cleaned up very nice (they went in new last time), and I made to degrease everything liberally before re-assembly. Slide pins got cleaned up, along with the slide pin channels in the caliper bracket. Syl-Glide was used to re-grease. Wheels were torqued properly after everything was done, as were caliper brackets and slide pin bolts.

Yet, even after pad break in, I'm getting persistent brake squeal from what I think is only the left hand brake. Coincidentally, that was the side that I thought I had either a worn down pad and/or seized slide pin that made me do this brake job in the first place.

What could be causing this squeal? Could it be a bad caliper? I don't want to replace a caliper if I don't have to, but, I will because I can't stand the noise any longer... :D

Any thoughts?

Chuck

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you glue the pads to the pistons with silicone?

Richard

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the steering wheel turn/pull when you brake?
Or does the steering drift one way on a straight road without using the brakes?

If not then probably not a caliper issue.

Squeaking can be normal on DIY brake jobs, for a week or two.
Brake pads are not all made of the same material, if you switch brands of pads and do not turn(shave) the rotors you can get squeaking from old pad material mixing with new, this will go away, the more you use the brakes the faster it will go away.
If it has been awhile since the brake job I would spend the $30 to have both rotors turned.

Chatter noise is from brake pads vibrating, you should usually use a high temp silicone type paste on the backs of the pads where they come into contact with the metal parts of the caliper and pistons.

EDIT:
I see you did get new rotors, oops

Google: EBC Yellowstuff squealing
Seems to be a common issue, 500-1,500 miles, and can come and go at anytime after that........

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you glue the pads to the pistons with silicone?

Richard
Been doing brakes for years. NEVER done this. Seems like if you have to silicone your brakes you are just trying to cover up some other problem???

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Chatter noise is from brake pads vibrating, you should usually use a high temp silicone type paste on the backs of the pads where they come into contact with the metal parts of the caliper and pistons.
If your brake pads are vibrating, something is wrong.

Calipers are designed to release pressure, but only to a certain degree. If there is enough movement for the pads to cause a chatter something is not right.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does the steering wheel turn/pull when you brake?
Or does the steering drift one way on a straight road without using the brakes?

If not then probably not a caliper issue.
pulling while braking could be a caliper problem... Or it could be the pads, or the brake lines, or your alignment. Or probably other shit Im not thinking of.

Drifting is more a sign of bad alignment typically. a sticky caliper can cause this sort of behavior but it is typically quite pronounced, not just a slight drift.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would check the dust shield to make sure it is not rubbing against the rotor.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks All for the replies!

No, I didn't use any type of compound/lube on the back of the new pads, I think they have like a plastic film on top of the steel pad plate, but I'll be checking this weekend (and likely applying something made to go on back of pads for squeal). I didn't use anything the past couple of brake jobs I did on this which were also EBC Yellowstuff, and while I would infrequently get a small amount of squeal, it was never to this degree.

I will pay attention to the steering tomorrow on the highway but I don't believe I've got any pull when going straight, or, when braking. The brakes feel smooth, and I don't think they're seizing as I put my hand on the wheels after driving on the highway for an extended period and they wheels weren't hot at all...no burnt smell either.

It's sorta hard to say about the pulling as I've got some front inner tire wear due to what I think is improper torsion bar adjustment (I think I'm sitting nose heavy). That's another thing I need to check.

I will check on the dust shield, but I don't think it's that. I heard some squeal I think from the right side today for a second, so unless I've got problems over there too, this is starting to look like just pad squeal. I haven't done the final bed in, so maybe I'll take it out tomorrow night and do that. I f*cking hate sh1t like this...honestly when things go bad I'd rather have them just outright go bad, at least then they can be fixed and it's over with.

It's weird though...it's been a while since driving my truck (let my uncle borrow it for a week or three) and have been driving a 2012 Taurus Limited, but, it seems like when I'm at speed and let off, I decel faster than I remember. I know that at 70mph on my speedo, I should be 2500 rpm on my tach. I'll have to check that out too. but, if the brake was slightly dragging/sticking at speed, would not the wheel be hot? Wouldn't there be a hot smell?

Chuck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes wheel would get very hot if brake was dragging, but you need to feel both wheels to compare.

Go to a flat street, stop, put in gear and get rolling about 5mph, then go to neutral, see how long it rolls, you should be able to tell if you have a dragging brake, and you can often hear it if its quiet, under ground parking lots are good for that, flat and you can hear everything, lol.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your brake pads are vibrating, something is wrong.

Calipers are designed to release pressure, but only to a certain degree. If there is enough movement for the pads to cause a chatter something is not right.
I guess that's an opinion I would have to disagree with, seen too many loose pad issues on a variety of vehicles, I always use CRC "Disc Brake Quiet".

"To each his own" :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I always use CRC "Disc Brake Quiet".

"To each his own" :icon_thumby:
This is what I was referring to as silicone.

Richard

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes wheel would get very hot if brake was dragging but you need to feel both wheels to compare.
Felt both, both felt rather cool. Sort of stuck my finger into one of the holes on the wheel (I've got a Level II so its the Alcoa's) and put it close to the brake...didn't feel any real heat radiating off.

Go to a flat street, stop, put in gear and get rolling about 5mph, then go to neutral, see how long it rolls, you should be able to tell if you have a dragging brake, and you can often hear it if its quiet, under ground parking lots are good for that, flat and you can hear everything, lol.
This is actually a really good suggestion(s). I'm not normally here at our office location (telecommuter), but I am today, and we have a parking garage that has flat sections. When I get off today I'm going to do exactly what you just said. Maybe that will show something abnormal.

Thanks for the interest and help!

Chuck

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Update:

Ran through the parking garage and determined there was no brake dragging - I could put it in neutral and it would coast normally. Also listened in there for anything wrong when coasting or applying brakes, everything sounded fine (except for what sounded like pronounced engine ticking at 1200-1700 rpm, oh goodie...).

Figured I'd waited long enough at this point to wear in the brakes and it was time for the bed in. Took it out to the road there at work and did that, got the brakes good and hot :headbang: , then jumped on highway and cruised on home. Didn't notice any brake squeal on the way home.

Have used the truck all weekend, and although it was mostly highway driving, I haven't heard any hints of squeal since bedding them in. Unless it comes back, this sounds like a false call by me. Should have done the bed in first, then if I still had squeal posted here.

Sorry folks for wasting your time, and thank you for the help and suggestions! Much appreciated!

Chuck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals