• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bang on floorboard when going over bumps

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I have what feels like something hitting the floor beneath my feet anytime I hit a sudden bump like a pot hole. Initially, I thought it was the radius arm bushings, since it's right around that area. But when I look at them, they don't look loose or bad. They could probably be changed, so I might just do it anyway, but what else could be banging there? I checked the trans mount and it looked good too. Maybe body mounts? They are quite rusty, so maybe one is looser than it looks?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe the two piece radius arm crossmember bolts? The first gen tib has a swaybar that travels along under the radius arm crossmember, maybe the ttb does too? In which case the bolts and bushings for the swaybar should be checked. Also sounds does travel so it could be something not directly under the floorboards.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd check those body mounts over good. I had the same issue and that's what it turned out to be. The rear of my cab was sitting on the frame.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It's not so much a sound, as a feel. It really feels like something is knocking on the bottom of the floor directly below your feet. It's not a violent knock. More like someone tapping on the floor with heavy pipe, but just tapping. You can tell there is weight behind it, but it's not hitting hard. If that makes any sense. lol.

Here's some pics I took of things this afternoon. Maybe someone will see something I didn't. My rear main seal is leaking, so that's why everything is covered in oil. But the sway bar bushings looked ok to me.

On the body, should I be able to see daylight between the frame and the cab? How much of a gap should there be? I looked briefly at them while I was under it, but I also know from past experience with a Jeep CJ-5 that they can look "ok" until you remove them and then you find out that what looked like a metal mount was actually rust and dust held together by mud and grime.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would pick on the radius arm bushings first, they look original and are probably petrified by now.

Sway bar bushings could probably use help too, could be pivot bushings.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I had the exact same thing with my '93. It was the body mounts under the radiator. Every time I went around a left curve it felt like someone was slapping the floorboard directly under my seat with a metal beam.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On mine I can't see light because of the angle, but I can get my hand between the cab and frame, now that I fixed the bushings.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok. I'll inspect all of the body mounts. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

[quote/]

This looks like it might be deteriorated. The bushing can be frapped inside and the arm moves within, contacting the metal. I've pulled one apart and the metal hole was eggshaped, but there was also more damage to the bushing than what I see in your pic. The passenger side should also have a heat shield that covers most of the bushing protecting it from the exhaust...I don't see it. They are a pain to get the nut off. I've found out since that the factory uses thread locker so heat might have helped me. I think you could back the nut off to get a look at the bracket and the interior of the bushings. I replaced mine without removing springs by using a ratchet strap to pull the axle forward. Of course look at the other stuff mentioned first because they are easier to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals