• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle roll Normal?

hillbilly4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
02 Ranger Off Road 4x4. Just bought this truck and have searched but came up with nothing. When you come to a stop or pulling out it feels like something is giving in the rear. Truck in park, I climbed under the back and pushed the truck back and forth. The rear end yoke nose dives about an inch or so pushing forward and rises pushing it backwards. Nothing looks loose. The springs give with the motion. Spring bushings look good. Is this normal for the rangers?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Spring wrap is normal, but it does get worse the more the springs get bagged out.

hillbilly4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I thought a spring was broke or a bushing out. They look really limber. I guess I'm not use to the small trucks yet.

hillbilly4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This spring wrap thing is driving me crazy. Feels like the rearend is gonna fall off the truck. Whats the fix? A new set of springs? Would ladder bars stop this? Are they sold or have to be made?

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
new springs really cut down on it, ladder-bars are big, and get hung up on stuff

a single "slip-N-twist" bar is better anyway,

or a simple traction bar with a leaf-spring shackle on the end seems popular too

but on a stock-ish ranger axle wrap shouldn't be so bad that it "feels like the axle is going to fall out" something is trashed, are your u-bolts stretched/loose?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adding a rear sway bar and pre-loading the nose hoop of it upward really helped my 2000 2wd (that I gave to my son).

The other thing that you can really feel is the slip yoke on the rear drive shaft.
Pull the boot and put some thick grease on that spline joint. May help.
Ford spec'd a special grease for that.

hillbilly4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
new springs really cut down on it, ladder-bars are big, and get hung up on stuff

a single "slip-N-twist" bar is better anyway,

or a simple traction bar with a leaf-spring shackle on the end seems popular too

but on a stock-ish ranger axle wrap shouldn't be so bad that it "feels like the axle is going to fall out" something is trashed, are your u-bolts stretched/loose?
115k on the clock. Everything looks tight. U joints are good. Rocking the truck in park lets the rear end pivot quite a bit. Does it coming to a stop or pulling out only. There is a delay from the time you hit the gas till the truck starts moving but no clunk. Could it be the clutches?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am pretty sure it is the drive shaft slip joint that is causing your problem. It is a relatively easy fix. It is best to take the drive shaft out but it can be done by only disconnecting one end. You have to loosen the rubber boot that covers the slip joint so you can take it apart. It is a good idea to mark everything so you put it all back together as it was.

Once you have the slip joint apart, clean it and apply a good quality moly grease. Then slide it back together, reattach the rubber boot and reinstall the drive-shaft. Your problem should be solved.

I could not believe the difference when I did mine. It even improved an occasional slight shudder when I let out on the clutch.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'll 3rd the driveshaft. Typically it feels like a thump or bump from underneath when you first start off but doesn't really make much of a noise (as least that's been my experience).

hillbilly4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Greased the slip joint and it fixed the problem. Feels tight now. Thanks for the replies. Gonna see how long it lasts. If not long, them I'm going with Brinker88's idea for the traction bars.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are millions of Rangers running around without traction bars, on a stockish truck they should not be needed.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I added a pair of leaf spring shackles, clamping together the spring pack just 6" forward of the rear axel. It was an easy fix that cost about $17.00 at Auto Zone. Shackles also assist the sway bars and firm up the ride. You may wish to try this before resorting to more draconian measures.

Attachments

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a set of traction bars like the ones brinker88 suggested on my 03 with the supercharger, and they made a huge difference in the amount of axle wrap-up, especially at launch. No downside that I experienced.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals