• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AJE Ranger K-Member Who's Done It!?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm really liking the direction of this project! Which gearing option did you select for the TKX?

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I'm really liking the direction of this project! Which gearing option did you select for the TKX?
close ratio with the .68 5th. Longer gears since this will be turbo’ed and nice cruising fifth for the highway when I drive the beast to work. Btw the TKX required just a little bit of clearancing in one spot. Otherwise fit right in.
6DDD2ACE-49FA-4BD2-AF97-EC777F12943F.jpegD9385EC3-44FE-46CB-9847-84102917CB22.jpeg

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
I'm doing the swap in a first gen (90 XLT).

If you would be so kind, would you share which year SN95 spindles you used?

The tech at Jegs tells me to use the F-100 rack (AJE 040-F1-rack) they sell instead of a mustang rack??

I received the same ambiguity from AJE, so I'm going almost solo on this (not quite, thanks to your thread).

I'm using the truck intake, too, so I'm interested to see what clearance issues I have versus your 95.

Thanks a ton for your pics!!

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing the swap in a first gen (90 XLT).

If you would be so kind, would you share which year SN95 spindles you used?

The tech at Jegs tells me to use the F-100 rack (AJE 040-F1-rack) they sell instead of a mustang rack??

I received the same ambiguity from AJE, so I'm going almost solo on this (not quite, thanks to your thread).

I'm using the truck intake, too, so I'm interested to see what clearance issues I have versus your 95.

Thanks a ton for your pics!!
Alright someone else using this kit!

I'd be surprised if the tech at Jegs really knew what he was talking about but maybe! AJE told me they always use the fox body steering rack. Which is slightly narrower than the sn95 version. Really it's just the inner tie rods that are shorter. Part of my issue with the sn95 rack was also the bumpsteer kit I used. They are super long. Having my inners modified solved the problem though so no big deal there. For the spindles it doesn't matter. I used late model sn95 spindles because I was looking for the widest track possible.

"There will be some slight differences between the 94-04 spindle offerings. These will be broken down into two primary groups, the 94-95 and the 96-04 spindles. The 94-95 will be the best overall option to go with in most cases. These will be the closest overall geometry to the Fox and and will keep the overall track width roughly the same. The 96-04 spindle can still be easily used but these will have a slightly different position for the outer tie rod end and may cause bumpsteer in some cases. These will also kit the wheel out around 8 mm." This is referring to swapping sn95 spindles on a fox body......

The truck intake although it just barely fit sorta, it's far from ideal. I ended up ordering a Speedmaster ls1/ls6 style intake mani and plan to use a gen 4 four bolt truck TB flipped 180 degrees to clear my truck water pump. The gen 4 TB is quite a bit bigger than the gen 3 TB. I should have just went with the car water pump in the first place. The speed master intake mani and gm TB was the cheapest route I could find for swapping to a car style setup. I'm actually going to test fit it tonight. I can't confirm that flipping the TB is going to work, but I don't see why it wont. My alternator is mounted down low as well which makes room to flip the TB.

If you need more pics of the AJE kit feel free to ask. Post plenty of pics of your first gen install too. This should be a community thread for anyone doing the swap.

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Thank you again.

As it turns out, AJE Jim got back to me about the Jeg's suggestion: it's too wide. He recommends the Flaming River FR1503 for a Fox body (44" wide), so that's what Im going to do.

Also, he echoed (today vs what he said initially) what you stated about the spindles- I'm going to use the 94-95 if I can find a good set (good luck, huh?).

The truck intake will be fine for me, hopefully- I've seen boosted applications make over 800 wheel with it. Would I run it on a track-only, 8000 rpm build? Negative. I'm trying to keep costs within reason, and I've heard of the rabbit hole one can go down with intake / TB / accesory drive, etc. I moved my radiator to the bed (under the campershell ;) ) so I've more room in front.

I'll post pics when I get back home..it may be a while.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Thank you again.

As it turns out, AJE Jim got back to me about the Jeg's suggestion: it's too wide. He recommends the Flaming River FR1503 for a Fox body (44" wide), so that's what Im going to do.

Also, he echoed (today vs what he said initially) what you stated about the spindles- I'm going to use the 94-95 if I can find a good set (good luck, huh?).

The truck intake will be fine for me, hopefully- I've seen boosted applications make over 800 wheel with it. Would I run it on a track-only, 8000 rpm build? Negative. I'm trying to keep costs within reason, and I've heard of the rabbit hole one can go down with intake / TB / accesory drive, etc. I moved my radiator to the bed (under the campershell ;) ) so I've more room in front.

I'll post pics when I get back home..it may be a while.
Spindles are easy to find. Any wrecking yard should have them for cheap.

Function wise truck intake will work fine. Richard and sloppy have shown us that. The fit though for a second gen is so dang tight. I had a heck of a time getting mine off last time. Be best to unbolt the engine from the K-member and let it sag down a bit. Look at the room I have with this car intake now. I was wrong about being able to flip the TB to clear the water pump. Still hits. I'm going to make an extension or 45 and it'll be fine. Intake mani $240, Truck Gen4 TB $40, Jegs fuel rails $105, TB flanges and material for 45 spacer $100. So $485 to swap a car intake on to it. Plus I gained a slightly better mani, bigger TB, looks better, and fits better. These dang builds are money pits. I'm so far into my build now I look back and think about what I could have bought with the money into this truck.

Radiator for the second gen there plenty of room. Just some cutting required.
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Thanks for the pics- I wish I had your welding skills; I have to pay a friend (I can weld, but not a welder). Call me a bead snob :)

Any input you can give on the bracing and pipe routing, I'll listen for sure. I'm using the upside down headers and they aren't going to like having a 45 lb turbo hanging from them...and I'm still not certain where I'm placing everything.

Your truck is going to be worth every penny when you drive it.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
You mean these headers?
3B69A12B-26C1-472A-B16D-5BD8771194FB.jpeg

I actually learned tig for this project. Wasn’t easy at first but three bottles of welding gas later and I’m not too bad at it.

Last edited:

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Very similar, yes. They are model Flowtech 11535FLT. I'm hoping I don't run into clearance issue with the shock towers. If so, I'll be asking what material you used for your custom headers next.

lol. I've been told it takes a lot of practice; I've got enough things to practice already :LOL:

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Very similar, yes. They are model Flowtech 11535FLT. I'm hoping I don't run into clearance issue with the shock towers. If so, I'll be asking what material you used for your custom headers next.

lol. I've been told it takes a lot of practice; I've got enough things to practice already :LOL:
Those appear to be even longer. Not sure they'll work. The amazon ones I test fit were not great for fitting a turbo. Actually are you running a turbo?

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
I'm running a turbo, yes. I'm hopefully getting the AJE mocked up this weekend, so I'll report back if they fit or not- it's going to be close based on my pics vs yours.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
It'll fit but It wont be the best placement for the turbo. Lot depends on what your intentions are with the exhaust. I ran mine down the side and exited in front of the rear tire. If you're just exiting through the hood I dont think placement will matter as much. I look forward to seeing your progress. I couldn't find any turbo manifold that would work with the AJE setup. At least not in the way I wanted it too.

Last edited:

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Would you mind if I posted my 1990 XLT AJE k member suspension install pics (search engine help :) ) here, or start my own thread? You've done such a great job detailing your install, I thought it would be helpful in one spot...but I'm leaving that up to you @Yotaismygame

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Please post them here. That will be great for future projects. Post as much as you like. I’m excited to see how you do the turbo setup.

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
The beginning, grinder, punch and plasma cutter in hand. DJM dream beams, tubular radius arms, and frame mounts removed.
PXL_20210814_221611111.jpg

These are what you have to look forward to- I actually lost about 6 of them in the grass (gotta find those w a magnet-I'd hate to send one with the lawnmower).

PXL_20210821_001411717.jpg

Pass side first. Yotaismygame can point out where the new AJE k-member and strut towers will mount, but you can clearly see what I'm burning / grinding away here

PXL_20210820_234627461.jpg

PXL_20210820_234634510.jpg

Next comes the driver's side:

PXL_20210820_234623002.jpg

PXL_20210820_234644621.jpg

The driver's side reinforcement plate has some challenges; it is welded across the top and partially on the bottom.
The entire cross member not only has rivets, but is welded on the inside corners of the frame (riveted there, too...yay Ford).

All said, about 5 hours worth of work (still have the welds to contend with).

More pics later as I curse myself for not getting an arc gouger, too. I also got the fuel cell and radiator mounted in the bed, so I'll detail my approach to that later, as well.

S.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals