• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 M50D vs 92 M50D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 95+ had the electronic speedometer. The 94 and earlier had a gear-drive speedo with an electronic sensor. The sensor was spun by the gear and the cable clipped into it. The sensor was only for auto trans, ABS and cruise, didn't have anything to do with the speedo until 1995.

It is very possible for someone who didn't care if the speedo worked to have put a 95+ trans into their 92 truck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you turn the tail shaft of the old tranny I bet the screwdriver would drop lower... I bet it's sitting on a gear tooth.

I still say stick the old stub in the new tranny, they changed the stub a little at one point, I have one floating around somewhere that's turned 90* from normal I think...

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So adsm08, you are saying the pic I have on PAGE1 of the speedo is the ONLY speedometer input for a manual 1991-1994 M50D 3.0 2wd??? Ford dealer said electronic speedo was an option on the 1992... as does the salvage yard say their records show it was an option on the 1992, not 1991... my 91 does have cruise and rear anti-lock (which honestly seems sorta useless) so the sensor above the gear driven cable is basically for that correct?

Last edited:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1st pic: white, plastic gear for geared speedo... that I swapped along with tailstock case for appropriate angled hole for speedo input...

2nd pic: look inside the supposed 1992 tailstock speedo port... with straight gear... I was told I could just pull out the electronic connector and put my speedo into the port.... WRONG.... or perhaps they just worded it wrong... but all I did was destroy the electronic connector...

hence, I swapped gears, tailstock case and was back in business and looked like my transmission again....

Attachments

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
scotts90ranger, first pic shows what the shift stick sits on... and it isn't gear teeth... turning the input or output shafts will not affect where this shifter sits.... nice try though :) I did stick the old shifter in the newer transmission (with engine running) and even with it tightened down, the stick will FLOAT with very little effort... I can conscientiously push down on it and carefully engage gears but if I just pull back like a normal person would from 1st to 2nd gear, it will totally skip out of ANY gear and be resting limply against my bench seat.... as stated in previous post, there seems to be a longer shift stub that was used in possibly 95-97 models...

2nd pic: dunno if it's any help but this is a pic of the 1992? top cover showing the shift fork rubber caps.... the cover is slightly different here, there are dimples between the different forks on the cover... switch back to first pic and while it's hard to see, there are no dimples, it is straight across all three fork caps (if that's the right wordage?)

Attachments

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, here's an offer for ya...

I have this later model shift stub sitting in front of me, and if I can find them some spare shifter bushings that I'll ship to you no charge (hit the Email button after clicking on my username and send me a message... my PM box is full).

First note is that from the center of the ball to the tip that goes in the tranny is about 2 11/16", compare that against what you have. Second note is the wedge bolt is on the back side of this style shifter and the slot is on the right side which is backwards of the older style so you will either need to take a grinder and make a new slot and grind in a new spot for the wedge, or find a newer style shifter handle.

Other than that you should be able to swap the top plates between the two transmissions, but that's a PITA with the tranny in the truck :)

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Scott? that sounds like a swell deal but I wouldn't let ya do it for free... I'd pay shipping if you were to ship it, but as of now, I've done the hard part of figuring what I have with the help of everyone here and been cordial to salvage yard so they are taking the heat on this one and being helpful it seems and gonna find me one (seems at no cost to me).... the whole stick! If they find nothing or wanna charge me for all this trouble then I will kindly revisit your offer... however, that being said, I can tell ya that the difference as stated seems to be about 0.25 inches if not maybe a little less (1/8-3/16"?)... The shifter stub measurement that I have been using since looking around seems to be more reliable at 1+7/8" from end of ball to bottom of stud... possibly yours would work since it seems about 2.5" measuring your way... :) seems the plastic bushings are available from Ford (for around $10 each so I'm keeping that in mind because I will probably need at least one if new shifter doesn't have any...). I do have one... my upper bushing must have disintegrated though :-( having to fudge a way to get a newer stub in older stick might not be fun... I can't even figure how to get my stud out... I did try but seems I will need some monkey grease er sumthin... better off to just find a whole stick it seems!

Yes, switching top covers at this point would be a pita! I dropped the truck to the pavement again... I'm done for now underneath! ;-)

Thanks so much for everyone that took the time to read and try to help me! :icon_thumby:

Looks like I got a newer tranny that I thought! lol so the mileage they gave me could be low or could be high.... and all this just because I didn't have a 5th gear anymore! phewy, shuda just stayed in 4th on hwy.... 5th isn't worth much unless going down hill! haha It all started 5th gear popping out and someone in a shop saying it may just be the top cover that needs to be replaced and that would just cost $100-$200... lol I now have a 4 speed manual m50d if anyone needs one? :) guess I will keep it just in case!!! sure not giving it back for a $25 core.. :icon_rofl: and figured it will take me about 30k miles to break even on the cost of the tranny ($350) if you figure I would loose 2-3mpg in 4th gear.... go figure... couldn't have done it without y'all... THX!!!

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
to get the stub off, take the nut off the cross bolt, then put it on the other side and tighten until that bolt falls out, then it should pretty much slide out of the shifter

Looks like it's a solid 1/4" longer on the new style, I'm getting 2 1/8" from end of ball to end of stub.

Yeah, it wouldn't be completely simple to get the stub to fit the old style shifter, would take about half an hour with an angle grinder I imagine... that is if you are careful as I'm sure it could be done quicker to just get it to work... :).

On the plus side, the newer transmission has less teeth on the 5th/reverse slider/synchro's, so 5th and reverse should shift smoother than your old tranny did, or at least be more durable...

On the shifter bushings, if you want new and need the top seal (I keep meaning to get one of these, my top seal is shot) go HERE as the whole kit is $15...

Let me know if you need the stub, should only be like $5 to ship which isn't worth worrying about being paid for, I'd rather help out someone in need...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
your junkyard is being more helpful than the one I went to, last year I tried to get a transmission for my Tracker, pulled one from a '96 which should have been the right one, turns out someone did a drivetrain swap from something unknown to me, I could only trade or get yard credit not get my money back (no other trackers around to get a tranny from), kept it to try to sell it... tried once, wasn't right for the next generation Tracker/Sidekick/Vitara either... being the nice guy I am I gave the guy his money back so I still have the stupid tranny...

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info Scott... and on how to get the stub off! :) Yes, the junk yard was helpful and didn't charge me for the different stick... of course, with the help here and from looking at that site you just suggested, I was able to point them in the right direction for a longer stub from a 95-97! I have the correct shifter now and it does have the top bushing but will need to swap a couple other things onto the newer shifter... I may be rolling SOON....

if a moderator reads this, this topic might be best if possible to change from 91 vs 92 topic to 90-94 vs 95-97 M50D 3.0 2wd :) or maybe by me just saying it someone that searches may find it to help them out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals