• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 M50D vs 92 M50D

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found a used 92 transmission for my 1991 3.0 Ranger.... looking at it, it looks like there is a difference in the speedometer input!?!? Looks like it possibly is all electronic and no mechanical gear attachment... Ford dealer says they should be the same.... this is going to create a problem... all junk yards I looked at searched 91-94 ranger 2wd transmissions for 3.0 as being compatible... either I'm the only one that ever runs into stoopid issues like this or maybe they mislabeled it and it's not really a 92.... grrrrrr :annoyed:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
AFAIK, all 2WD transmissions have speedo gear ports up until the '98 models. Sounds like someone got their year mixed up.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's what I am thinking too.... everything else looks identical except the speedo port... is there a number on the case I can use to figure the year it REALLY belongs to?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Salvage yard says I can swap out the electronic for mechanical but I'm not seeing it... hole is right size but my 91 speedo cable has a helical gear on the end of the sensor and goes into the transmission at a 45 degree angle... this *supposed 92 tran has speedo sensor hole that goes in at 90 degrees with straight gear inside the hole....

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
checked the tranny vin number that came on receipt... it does line up with a 92. The only difference I could see is when I ran it on jasper engine site to find a reman, my 91 VIN came back with 3 different versions, the 92 VIN came back with one, which did match up to one of my 91... Also my 91 is an XLT trim package (which I thought was the more upscale), it seems the 92 possibly came back to an S? trim? I'm leaning towards a trim disparity... although nowhere along the lines of looking for a replacement tranny has anyone inquired about it... other than Jasper site... hmmmm Salvage yard says bring in and they will find the right one for me so that's good... just means will take longer I suppose :-(

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
if the hole in the tailshaft is "Blanked off" (un-drilled)

You can swap over the parts from your old trans, the tailshaft housing, the helical gear
the retaining ring (circlip) and locating ball.

Even though those parts were deleted starting in 1995 (1995 is the first year of electronic speedometers) the provisions remain on the output shaft through '04 (the newest Ranger manual transmission I've personally had apart)

AD

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I took to salvage yard and they said the tailshaft housing could be taken apart and the straight gear replaced with my helical gear... (unsure what you mean by hole in tailshaft blanked off?)....

I removed tailshaft housing, removed snap ring, slid unwanted gear up and slid wanted gear (helical) into it's place... attached snap ring and put housing together.... they said it was easy and it was... still not sure and maybe I missed the explanation somewhere in there on how a 92 Ranger had an electronic speedometer?

Problem seems to be solved though and hoping the used tranny does what it's suppose to do once I get er back in there.... :) Thanks for those who gave input... your input is priceless :)

Brian

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, could use a little more help identifying a transmission that the salvage yard says came from a 1992 Ford Ranger ("It's virtually impossible for us to mislabel something because....").

I've got the transmission in the truck and ready to go.... and wouldn't ya know it, the shift lever I have from my 1991 will not work... it seems the shift lever "hook up?" is about 1/8 - 1/4" lower... therefore the shift lever is a sloppy mess/not engaging properly! :annoyed:

1st, Salvage yard says truck it came from is scrapped... so no recovering the shifter it should have....

2nd, no labels or stamped id on transmission.... why?!?!

3rd, Ford Dealer says all the 91-94 use the same shift lever... I am missing a plastic bushing that goes onto the ball of the shifter (in the middle of the lower portion) but that does not appear to be the issue because below that is the shaft that appears to be short as mentioned....

sooooo, seeing as it had a electronic speedometer and now this issue I'm pretty sure someone somewhere screwed something up and now I've paid by putting the time into this.... If I could identify the transmission I could probably figure a way to get the RIGHT shifter for it... any ideas?!? :dunno:

The transmission does appear to work when I was able to sorta engage into some gears with engine running... I didn't drive it anywhere as it's very unreliable (sloppy!!!) but it looks like a M50D and after my tailstock swap it's basically the same... looking at the upper plate I wonder if I should have swapped that? but at this point, pulling the transmission AGAIN is really infuriating! Rather find a correct stick!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pics. At this point of FUBAR we need pics. Right now we are just guessing.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The shifter stub from your original transmission (and bushings as you say it's loose...) should fit in the new tranny assuming they are both M5OD (the only manual transmission put behind 3.0's in Rangers)

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
adsm08, LOL

Pics, 1st - the (supposed) '92 Transmission mounted

2nd - the '92 tailstock on old '91 - showing speedometer port - 90 degrees

3rd - the '91 tailstock swapped onto '92 that is mounted now - geared speedometer input shown

Attachments

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pics -

1st - gear shifter out of '91

2nd - using a screwdriver showing the depth to seated position of shifter on '91

3rd - seated position of shifter of '92 (seems about 0.25 inches deeper!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only assumptions I can make at this point is that either someone brought the 1992 truck to the salvage yard with a later model tranny in it? Someone mentioned a 1998 tranny started to have electronic speedo... anybody confirm? Ford dealer said possibly 1993.... :icon_confused:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, Salvage yard says it's possible 92 had electronic speedo... their system says it was an option?!?! Looking around for some discrepancy in shifters, I found this:

http://allstategear.com/M50D Shifter Repair Kit.htm

towards the bottom, it shows "related parts" and two different shifter stubs... the 1995-1997 stub looks longer!!!! aha moment?!?

now if I can talk sense into the salvage yard that wanted to get me a 1992 shifter which I told them is the same thing I already HAVE!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals