• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90', 2.3, 4X2, 5 speed tranny removal

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I'm certain I'm stating the obvious here, but this is THE toughest tranny I have ever unbolted, and I've done many. The engineers at Ford obviously didn't plan for the bell housing to be unbolted from the block EVER. (I'm swapping in a 2.3 turbo motor, and read advice stating to remove block/tranny together...didn't listen, but know why now.) Is there something I'm missing??? What do you guys do when you have to replace a clutch???:shok: Holy crap!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Get yourself a 13mm ratcheting wrench, you can reach all bolts from the bottom, but the top two are easier from the top if you get your arm in the right place... It's not that bad... if you think that's bad, try the Geo Tracker I did a couple weeks ago... Or changing the serpentine belt on a Ford Focus... If the ratcheting wrench doesn't work for you, get yourself about 3' of extensions with a wobbly socket at the end and do it from lower, that's what my friend that's a tranny mechanic does. I think I've had my engine out 3 or 4 times, once I pulled the engine to install a clutch because I didn't want to lift the tranny up :).

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I never regarded the 2.3 engine to M5OD-R1 in a Ranger as all that tough...

Yeah several of the bolts go in from the front making them a PITA to access.

Want real fun? try changing out the alternator on a 1997-up Taurus, it cannot be accessed from the top and there's no clearance from the bottom either... I discovered
the hard way that the sub-frame must be partially removed to R&R the alternator.

This is honestly one of the ugliest jobs I've ever had to do...

Where I've had problems is getting he starter off of a 2.3 in a Ranger when the guy who worked on it before me didn't coat those bolts with Never-seeze and or had even slightly rounded the bolt heads.

When working on a 2.3 Starter I recommend helicoiling the threaded holes and using a generous application of nickel or copper never-seeze,

There's not much you can do about a frozen bolt, but when you've got it out there are all kinds of things you can do to save you from insanity NEXT TIME.

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can think of lots of things harder to do that take the trans out of a 2.3 Ranger. Like take the trans out of a V6 Ranger. Or a V8 anything. Or a FWD anything.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I suppose it's not all that bad. I had trouble with the two, top bolts; they were pretty buggered up from the last guy who replaced this tranny and frozen up pretty good. It went back in much easier, and I have a way better understanding now of how to get these suckers out. Thanks guys. Yeah Geo Trackers are lots of fun too. Rebuilt a 5 speed last summer on one of those.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals