• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 2.9 FM146 to M5OD manual transfer case and 4.0 swap question

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm putting this in the general forum since I have a few questions in multiple categories and figured it would be best to keep it all in one post. Forgive me if this is the wrong way to look at it.

Hello all. I have been lurking here a while but haven't posted much because up until now I really have found everything I needed on these forums.

I have a clean 1989 Ranger Extended cab, 2.9L 4x4 with the FM146 transmission.

The engine, trans and transfer case work perfectly but I picked up a complete 1996 Ranger 4x4, extended cab, 4.0 with 5 speed and push button 4wd that's got a solid drive train but the whole body is garbage.

I will be swapping in the 4.0 first. I know the wiring is as far away as the 2.9 as I could have gotten but I have the truck so I will be making it work.

I will be swapping in the whole 1996 OBDii setup. Call me crazy but I want obdii instead of EECiv. I'm not worried about the wiring as that is my specialty.

One question I cannot find the answer for is will my existing transfer case linkage work with the M5OD or will I be forced to find manual transfer case linkage from another M5OD?

I will be getting the engine conversion done first so I am not in a huge rush for a solid answer on this but will want to get the parts lined up so when I am ready for the transmission swap I will have all parts needed.

The M5OD is noisy in all gears except 4th so I will tear it apart and put all new bearings in it and I am assuming it's going to also need an input + main shaft. Once I get it opened up I will order any parts that are needed.

So other than the question with the manual transfer case linkage FM146 to M5OD and the complicated wiring work that will need to be done does anyone see any gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input in advance. I will post pics of both trucks soon.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the '96 seems to need more than a little body work :)

'89 is very nice well worth the swap :icon_thumby:

Since you have the whole '96 truck then OBD2 shouldn't be an issue, I would do the whole swap at one time, so get the M5OD out and get it fixed first.

The 1989 will have the BW1350 transfer case
The 1996 a BW1354, but both have the same bolt pattern and will fit M5OD trans.
'96 M5OD 4x4 tail shaft should still have the bolt holes on the side for manual shift transfer case, but I think the shifter linkage is slightly different for the FM146(BW1350) and M5OD(BW1354).
You can see the differences in this article: http://www.broncoiicorral.com/library/2wd_to_4wd.shtml
half way down the page 13-54 and 13-50 drawings, almost the same but not quite.

Since you are keeping the transfer case you will still have a speedometer cable, so can keep your dash.
May need to get speedo cable/VSS combo so computer has a speed sensor hook up.
Look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

3rd and 4th picture down show a combo unit, you may even have one on an '89 if it had cruise control, '96 will just have the VSS, no cable hookup.

But OBD2 wiring harness should just plug into a combo unit.

Last edited:

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
RonD. Thank you for the great information. You answered all the questions I had.

Luckily for me I have an electronic VSS already in my truck. It had stealership installed cruise control which I have thrown in the trash but left the VSS in.

I confirmed it worked when I was playing with an old MPGuino I had laying around + my EECIV breakout box.

Part of me wants to extend the PCM harness so I can mount the unit where the EECiv rides now but I might just come up with some under hood mounting solution for the computer.

It looks like other than moving the battery to the other side of the engine compartment everything else should pretty much lay in there.

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Clean '89 ya got there!!

I'm thinking it must've been an early model as it still has the manual t-case. My father had an '89 that came with the electric t-case.

Dad also had a '96 I could've taken for a swap but seemed like too much work for a 4.0. Haha

Good luck with the swap!!

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clean '89 ya got there!!

I'm thinking it must've been an early model as it still has the manual t-case. My father had an '89 that came with the electric t-case.

Dad also had a '96 I could've taken for a swap but seemed like too much work for a 4.0. Haha

Good luck with the swap!!
Thanks on the compliment. I actually really scored with it. I found it on CL and I wasn't even looking for a truck. It was listed as blown engine *because his mechanic said it had dropped a valve* and it had been parked for 4 years.

I picked it up fully expecting to repair / replace the engine.

Well, the engine wasn't bad!

I believe you're right as far as the 96' 4.0 swap. It's not going to be anywhere near as plug and go as 90-92 ranger 4.0 would be but that's ok with me.

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's getting harder to find gen2 stuff...

Keep in mind the explorer's went to '94. Two more years of availability for the 4.0.

Just a thought. I picked up a '94 explorer for the motor and trans for my '90 Ranger 2 weeks ago.

After looking over your pics, it looks as though someone swapped in that manual t-case. Floor does not look factory and I'm pretty sure I can see the 4wd buttons in one of the pics.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your 96 OBD-II swap will be almost plug and play if you are willing to take the dash along.

It is entirely do-able without the dash, but it will just be made a lot simpler. Mine is in year 3 of the planning phase because I am not willing to change my dash.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know it's getting harder to find gen2 stuff...

Keep in mind the explorer's went to '94. Two more years of availability for the 4.0.

Just a thought. I picked up a '94 explorer for the motor and trans for my '90 Ranger 2 weeks ago.

After looking over your pics, it looks as though someone swapped in that manual t-case. Floor does not look factory and I'm pretty sure I can see the 4wd buttons in one of the pics.
The manual transfer case is factory. I put in the 4x4 buttons and have one re-purposed for an air horn and the other isn't being used yet. In fact the plug for the push button 4x4 is absent on this truck. If you notice I also installed the rear wiper button + defroster button from an explorer. They are also being used for accessories. I like to try and use factory buttons / holes vs drilling new holes for toggles.

That bezel around the shifters lifts off. Someone made it out of wood and I must say it works very well. I'll take better pics of it sometime for others to see how someone did it. I wish I had those fabrication skills.

Your 96 OBD-II swap will be almost plug and play if you are willing to take the dash along.

It is entirely do-able without the dash, but it will just be made a lot simpler. Mine is in year 3 of the planning phase because I am not willing to change my dash.
I hear ya. I prefer the 2nd gen dash to be honest. I have heard there are significant differences in the firewall going from gen2 to gen3. I wouldn't swap dashes even if they were plug and go. I really like the 2nd gen cluster over the newer ones.

The biggest headache for me is going to be moving the battery to the left side of the engine compartment. I got no problem customizing harnesses but when it comes to fabricating a battery tray etc etc that is not my thing. I will get it done though. I have a welder and lots of tools.

Today I swapped out the 7.5 for the 8.8. Luckily for me they both were 3.73 so I can swap the front out at my leisure. I had read that the U-bolts etc would be different between the two rear axles because supposedly the 7.5 tubes weren't as large. Well it turns out they were exactly identical.

As documented here the driveshaft flanges are different. No problemo I figure since i had the whole parts truck. Well it turns out the driveline carrier bearing was totally shot on the donor truck. Again no problemo I figure because I have a perfectly healthy driveline in the 2.9 truck. Press it all apart and wouldn't ya know the inner bearing diameter is SMALLER on the 96 with the 4.0 vs the 89 with the 2.9. *facepalm* Oh well had to go buy a new one.

Other than that the front flange on the transfer case swapped right over.

The ebrake cable system is different enough where I will have to either swap cables from the rear ends OR swap the front cable from the pedal back.

I haven't decided yet what direction I want to go. I am leaning toward swapping the axle cables because I want to go through the brakes on the new rear end any how.

It was a productive day.

Next will be ordering a clutch pack and going through that differential to refresh it. It's a VERY loose clutch pack in it now. The donor truck has almost 400k miles. YES 400,000 miles! ROFL.

I plan on living with the clutch type LSD for the near future.

**If anyone has a manual linkage or floor plate from an M5OD and wants to sell / trade a few parts let me know! I'd rather have the correct parts on hand vs fabricating them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Today I swapped out the 7.5 for the 8.8. Luckily for me they both were 3.73 so I can swap the front out at my leisure. I had read that the U-bolts etc would be different between the two rear axles because supposedly the 7.5 tubes weren't as large. Well it turns out they were exactly identical.
The tubes are different between a 7.5 and a 31-spline 8.8. Your Ranger donor has a 28-spline 8.8 which has the same tube size as the 7.5.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tubes are different between a 7.5 and a 31-spline 8.8. Your Ranger donor has a 28-spline 8.8 which has the same tube size as the 7.5.

Ahhh this makes sense. Now that you mention it I do recall reading about the 31 spline 8.8 and that's got to be where I got the bolt info from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals