• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

80's Ranger 4x4 for the Trails

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Damn...post pictures.

Probably need an 88 non EGR...or you have an already modified truck ...you have the right parts..
Truck has been customized previously...and your blaming the parts supplier for giving you the right shit.
I’d be assuming it was all to do with my truck being already modified but when I replaced the whole exhaust after cats I just ordered three Walker pieces and they bolted right up and looked identical to the old crusty ones I took off.
I’ll scope out an 89 Walker cat just to see if the output is flat or donut flex...

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Had another thread going regarding catalytic fitment frustrations, and am now ready to continue with this thread since that project is complete.
The cats were a pain, but the difference jt makes, VS a diy hollowed out cat from previous owner, is dramatic.. no more exhaust smell whatsoever and the engine is noticeably quieter than just prior. This last few months has been a “take it apart and see how it works” kind of situation since I was forced to redo so much exhaust. In the end I see how much the cat plays a part in not just cleaning the air but also as part of the balance of the exhaust performance. The engine is designed and balanced to have all segments in tact. There’s no mistaking the giant difference. And.. I don’t notice any loss of HP. Maybe the gear ratio is already inherently satisfactory on this truck for general getup and the cat does sink some HP, but it’s not at all something I notice.
biggest boon is the clean air though. Such a big upgrade to be able to ride around and not have a whiff of exhaust. Not sure if CARB vs FED makes a difference in this way, but regardless I’m happy with the cats.

With the cats installed, next step is to finally lower the cab from its 3” body lift. The cat install was super straight forward since the cab was lifted. Would have sucked quite a bit without that free play above it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals