• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap driveshaft issues

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok sounds good ill try that then its less things for me to have to unbolt under the truck that leaves me with just shock bolts and driveshaft to axle bolts the u bolts and sway bar u bolts are getting cut with a sawzall and ill prob just cut the brake line i think that should be it

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im interested to know this as well. Will the 7.5 flange go on the 8.8 axle?

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im going to try it and ill update with an answer

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I am told the pinion spline counts on the 7.5 and 8.8 are the same and will swap right out with eachother. So its as simple as unbolting the 2.5 one and putting on the 3 inch one. Plus if need be, you can drill the 3 inch one for the 2.5 if you have to.

The adaptor plate idea isnt a bad thought either. I would also replace the pinion seal while there, that is if it shows signs of leaking.

I plan on swaping pinion flanges for when I do my 302 swap, until I get an 8.8 from an exploder. The 3inch flange driveshafts also came in the 1330 ujoints, found on so far what I know the sport tracks.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i do the swap ill confirm for sure if they will swap. Id rather not just redrill new holes and the adapter plate sounds good but to me its one more thing that could throw off the balancing even more or to break on me. I also dont know that id be able to get it all precise enough to not cause problems. So i will be swapping flanges.

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alas, i lied, i looked today and all i did was mate 7.5 flange onto the "NUB" of the 8.8 flange aligning ears between holes, then marked holes of driveshaft flange onto the 8.8 flange, drilled and tapped

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Info from the tech library....

Swapping in an 8.8-inch 28-spline Ranger axle for the original 7.5-inch axle provides (according to Ford) a 35% increase in strength. But this strength increase refers to the greater strength of the gears and carrier bearings (Pinion bearings, axle bearings and axle shafts are exactly the same) there is NO increase in weight capacity.

7.5-inch Rear Specifications
7.5-Inch Ring Gear
1.626" Pinion Stem

8.8-inch Rear Specifications
8.8-Inch Ring Gear
1.626" Pinion Stem

And the years to grab a driveshaft from a sport trac that has the 1330 joints will be from 01-05.

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
correct . unless you swap springs also.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alas, i lied, i looked today and all i did was mate 7.5 flange onto the "NUB" of the 8.8 flange aligning ears between holes, then marked holes of driveshaft flange onto the 8.8 flange, drilled and tapped
I was wondering how you made something that would engage that nub, and then have its own nub to engage the driveshaft to keep everything aligned with simple tools for cheap.

correct . unless you swap springs also.
Springs have nothing to do with the weight rating of an axle. Both the 7.5 and 28 spline 8.8 have the same weight rating of 2750.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So i plan to swap in an 8.8 for the 7.5 in my 87 supercab. Ive determained that my driveshaft will not bolt up to the new axle. I cant swap yokes as i believe i have the smaller u joints. I cant do a 1 piece swap as i have an fm145 so the one piece would be to short. I cant afford the $300+ i was quoted to make up a whole new driveshaft. So after some thinking i had the idea of splitting my driveshaft at the slip joint and doing the same with the driveshaft on the 93 the axle is coming out off. Then reassemble with the rear portion of the slip joint off the 93 to the rest of my driveshaft. This would give me the right yoke on the end to bolt to the rear axle and still be the right length for the 5 speed. Would this idea even work? I know i could just drill new wholes but id rather not do that as i more or less want to just bolt in the 8.8
Split your driveshaft at the bolted on yoke just behind the center support bearing.

That way you get the bigger U-joints at both ends of the rear half of the two piece driveshaft.

I could never get the small U-joints to last more than 6-8months on my truck before I swapped from a TK5 trans to a Mazda trans and went to the later (1994) two-piece shaft.

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could never get the small U-joints to last more than 6-8months on my truck before I swapped from a TK5 trans to a Mazda trans and went to the later (1994) two-piece shaft.

AD
Mine were original when I changed them "while I am here" during the V8 swap...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Mine were original when I changed them "while I am here" during the V8 swap...
the "small" U-joints I'm refering to were ONLY used on the 1986-87 and part of 1988 Supercabs rear driveshaft.

They are TINY little crosses that are even smaller than the D28 axle shaft joints.

AD

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Certainly 85_Ranger4X4. the 7.5 rear axle yoke/flange will fit over that nub, just VERY tightly. I marked my hole locations on 8.8 pinion flange, drilled and tapped them, then just used the bolts to draw original D.S. flange onto 8.8. Seems to me to be completely centered that way. I will get pics next time i'm under it.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome thanks allan that was what i was looking for someone to say yes or no to driveshaft part swapping working

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Im very interested to know if this all worked out for you or what you ended up doing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals