• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap driveshaft issues

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ended up taking the rear shaft out of the 94 ranger with the 8.8 flange and used it with the original shaft. I split the two at the slip yoke and used the bigger shaft and slipped it in the original shaft and put on a new clamp.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i actually havnt done it yet im still waiting on the junkyard to get the parts for his forklift thats been broken for probably 3 weeks or so so he can get the truck out to torch the u bolts and sway bar. i plan on doing like allan said and splitting it at the carrier bearing and having two big joints and one little one at the transfer case

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i have it finally done. I ended up taking the yoke and rear half out of a 92 stx and swapped it for the yoke and rear half that i had in mine. worked perfectly. just make sure you get the yoke ears lined up correctly with the ears on the shaft as there is no key on the splines

87mudslut

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So you split the driveshaft at the slip yoke and replaced the longer piece of the shaft?

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no what i did was seperate the two driveshafts as you would to replace the carrier bearing and then took the yoke that is after the carrier bearing from the driveshaft for the 8.8 and put it on the front half for the FM145 making sure the yoke was properly installed as there is no blind spline then bolted the rear half from the 8.8 in as you normally would with any drive shaft if done right you will be left with only one of the tiny u joints at the transfer case the other two u joints will be the larger ones for the 8.8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals