• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E Shifting Problem

teamford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ranger 4.0 Extended cab with 47k miles and the 5R55E 5 speed transmission. I don't want to rebuild the whole trans.

When the truck is cold and you first take off in drive 1-2 shift is delayed, seems like it holds on to 1st gear too long, but does shift into 2nd. When it warms up it shift's into second gear but it is a bit mushy, not as positive as other gears.

One time after some expressway driving, I was taking off from a stop and during the 2-3 shift, the engine flared up to about 2000 to 2500, but caught as soon as I let off the gas and got back on the gas. This happened one time as well on the overdrive kick in, it flared up a bit but then caught.

When I make a quick complete stop, and slightly inch forward with my foot on the brake, there is a little thud. It almost feels like when you are standing still and have the truck in 2 and you shift it back to drive and inch forward, it feels like that little thud. Maybe it's staying in second gear until I inch forward??

When the truck is in any gear other than P or N there is a buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment.

When shifting from any gear to P or N, it feels like the truck is cuts out for a quick second rpm drops but catches and doesn't die.

Is this a valve body? Clogged filter?? Please help, Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals