• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4bt rangers

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Looking for someone that has put a 4bt cummins in a ranger any body style, i would like to see their setups, im debating on a 4bt or a 347 stroker in any body style ranger. I really just want to see the setups for the 4bt since i know everything with a 347 in a ranger. I would really like to find an early 90's body style to throw one of the motors in any advice is always appreciated from you guys.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there is a diesel power magazine issue currently out, has 1 or 2 rangers in it. It is about doing swaps and has contact info for parts suppliers.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Dave built one... Cummins_Ranger on here. (WBDave on 4bt swaps.)

I'm building an Explorer with one.

There are a bunch more on 4btswaps.com

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Dave built one... Cummins_Ranger on here. (WBDave on 4bt swaps.)

I'm building an Explorer with one.

There are a bunch more on 4btswaps.com
Thanks a bunch, i have a general idea and whatnot of how i want to do it, but i still have those little details to get solved.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've wanted to do one on my truck but can't seem to find the motor. It's like trying to spot a Sasquatch in the woods. But I have a bunch of other stuff it needs before it gets a 4bt.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've wanted to do one on my truck but can't seem to find the motor. It's like trying to spot a Sasquatch in the woods. But I have a bunch of other stuff it needs before it gets a 4bt.
Patience my good man, patience. It took me over 2 years of searching to find my motor. I found mine on CL, the ad said $1500 FIRM. I checked the motor out and found some play in the turbo. I told him I wont pay $1500 for it with a "wasted turbo", it would cost $300+ for a good used turbo (the rebuild kit is about $50. :D) and started to walk away. He said "how about $1200"? I fired the motor up right there on the engine stand and ran it for about 30 seconds, paid the man, and took my motor home.

He also threw in:
-The engine stand.
-4bt/ Ranger swap header (a guy named Mooktank on 4bt swaps built about a dozen of these.)
-a dodge neon intercooler.
- It already had the Ford small block adpater on it.

The deals are out there. You just need to wait for them to come up and have the cash in hand.

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
OK, just out of curiosity,

what is it about this 800lb 105hp/265lb-ft engine that is worth " over 2 years of searching to find my motor"....?

(sorry to thread jack)

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
OK, just out of curiosity,

what is it about this 800lb 105hp/265lb-ft engine that is worth " over 2 years of searching to find my motor"....?

(sorry to thread jack)
It only 750 lbs. :thefinger:

"105hp/265lb-ft engine".... My engine will be making about twice that and getting 2x the fuel mileage I get now, plus running on a WMO mix (diesels will run on just about anything you dump in the tank.). It should last about 500K miles or more. Its got a turbo (I'm a certified boost junkie). Not many people have one, and I like to be different.
Oh, and I like diesels.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
again, sorry to continue the thread jack, but wouldn't a v8 that weighs half that, with equal boost (for the boost junkie) have extremely similar numbers? (if not better)

but i do know that diesels can be modded to run used oil, or anything basically, (a couple of my buddies that have deuces love them for that) that is a novel concept, gas cant do that

Not many people have one, and I like to be different.
Oh, and I like diesels.
^good enough for me dude :thumby: those are half the reasons i do most things

Last edited:

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
The reason i want it is because i want the mileage and i get to be different, also im a diesel junkie i love em, but the absolute sole reason i want it is reliability without a doubt

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Patience my good man, patience. It took me over 2 years of searching to find my motor. I found mine on CL, the ad said $1500 FIRM. I checked the motor out and found some play in the turbo. I told him I wont pay $1500 for it with a "wasted turbo", it would cost $300+ for a good used turbo (the rebuild kit is about $50. :D) and started to walk away. He said "how about $1200"? I fired the motor up right there on the engine stand and ran it for about 30 seconds, paid the man, and took my motor home.

He also threw in:
-The engine stand.
-4bt/ Ranger swap header (a guy named Mooktank on 4bt swaps built about a dozen of these.)
-a dodge neon intercooler.
- It already had the Ford small block adpater on it.

The deals are out there. You just need to wait for them to come up and have the cash in hand.
Yep i had to wait for a extremely long time to get mine, finally i found a step van after 3-4 years of trying to find a decent motor. I cant wait to get this ball rolling, now i need to find an early 90's body style ranger that looks nice up here in SD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want a more compact and easier to find (maybe?) diesel some guys on here really like their GM V8 6.2's and 6.5's.

Same footprint as a smallblock but is a diesel. bobbywalter has one in his truck, Will has threatened to but I am sure if he has got it done yet.

If I was to run a diesel, those would be the way I would go just because about everything else is either too freaking huge and bulky or next to impossible to find.

I would also check into some tractor engines... not sure what they can take for RPM and such though. Lots of little three and four cylinders out there. We have a POS Montana in the shop right now with a really cute little 4 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel in it that runs really nice. Also keep parts availability in mine, nobody on this side of the pond stocks them for the Montana... I would think the engine would be different (used in something else too) but it is hard to say.

That said I love my 302. :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
If you want a more compact and easier to find (maybe?) diesel some guys on here really like their GM V8 6.2's and 6.5's
aren't those just total crap though? i have never had one, but have heard bad things

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
aren't those just total crap though? i have never had one, but have heard bad things
People that like them say their rep was tarnished by the 5.7. It isn't like you are going to work them in a RBV like a one ton under full load either. The military still uses them in their humvees so they can't be too terrible (and you can get surplus engines too)

Bobby doesn't really baby things and he is still liking his... which I take as a really good sign. :icon_thumby:

66 Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As a mechanic in the Navy that works on them from time to time the reason they aren't really sought after is because they're loud, slow and even heavily modified they dont make that much power, the brain boxes are always goin out in the HMMWVs. every time we go up to Fort Hunter-Liggett for our field exercises you see the armys HMMWVs all parked over drain pans because theres leak so damn bad lol. all that and you cant argue with the reliablity of the Cummins, i'm still toyin with the idea of a 4BT swap of my own. it really just comes down to personal preference i think

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals