• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4-cylinder MPG question

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before our state switched over exclusively to E10, I got 31 mpg at 60mph and 29mpg at 70+. The E10 switch lowered my mpg to 27mpg at 60mph.

The drop in mpg is due to the Ford ECU - not the lower BTUs of the fuel. If Ford updated the ECU in 2009, then MPG in the low 30's is possible.

I would love for Ford to announce they could flash a fix to crappy E10 economy.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Before our state switched over exclusively to E10, I got 31 mpg at 60mph and 29mpg at 70+. The E10 switch lowered my mpg to 27mpg at 60mph.

The drop in mpg is due to the Ford ECU - not the lower BTUs of the fuel. If Ford updated the ECU in 2009, then MPG in the low 30's is possible.

I would love for Ford to announce they could flash a fix to crappy E10 economy.
I disagree? I think if ford could get better mpg's they would. IMHO

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I disagree? I think if ford could get better mpg's they would. IMHO
No, it would cost them a nickel - and Ford is the best example of cheap.

They're already best in class for economy, so they won't bother.

That's just the Ford way. They've never been about continuous improvement for the customer.

cape_royds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Automatic
With my 2011 reg cab 2.3 L auto, I obtained 30 mpg on a recent highway trip into the British Columbia interior (math: 580 km from 44.5 litres of fuel, which means about 360 miles on 11.75 US gallons).

For those Canadian readers who prefer the Transport Canada type of fuel economy figures, that's approx. 7.7 L / 100 km.

The vehicle was carrying just myself and my hiking gear. I also have a tonneau cover, which might help reduce drag a bit.

I can't be sure whether my fuel contained any ethanol. I fill with 87 octane at Chevron, and the sticker on their pump merely states, "may contain up to 10% ethanol."

Note that I'm a pretty extreme driver. Extreme grampa, that is. I have a light foot on the accelerator, coast down steep grades, don't add much throttle when going uphill, and usually cruise at 90 km/h (55 mph).

I do miss the 42 mpg I got from my 1994 1.6 L Mazda 323 hatchback, but the Ranger's got decent ground clearance and the old girl did not.

sd

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
damn ...wish i was getting these numbers out of my 2010 xlt xcab 2.3l automatic...best im getting right now in the city is 16mpg....wish I could improve on that somehow...i dont drive hard and keep my truck light ...i'm pretty damn disappointed needless to say..any suggestions at all on how i can squeeze a bit more mpg's?...

kschaffner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I must say I'm disappointed as well with my mpg, I get roughly 16-17 mpg in my 03 2.3l reg cab automatic, has always been that way since the day I got it nearly 4 years ago. Driving conditions are 35 on my 1/2 road 45 to work and back and 70 to school and back. All this with only me in the truck and nothing in the bed or being towed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals