• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

383 Stroker Swap into V6 platform - 88 Ford Ranger

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Been looking at engine swaps for the ranger and trying to make a decision on what to get. I heard the 383 is an excellent truck engine due to bore and stroke size.
From my knowledge I can go with the 383, a TH350 or 400 transmission, and Transfer case
What transfer case should I need and what am I in for - what should I expect to be doing?

A big concern is while I am researching this I am swapping the rear axle for a Ford 8.8 31 spline and a front Dana 35 - I am concerned that I am possibly missing something when I have to a different transfer case? Are there any problems to consider with this build concerning my intended swap and the axles compatibility?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your transfer case would be a GM type if your engine and transmission are GM. You will have to find one that has the front output on the driver's side to match the Ford front axle. Your driveshafts will be custom to mate the Ford axles to the GM transfer case.

I remember one other post on here where a guy was putting all full size type drivetrain under his Ranger, and was having floorboard clearance problems. So you might need a body lift of some kind for clearance for this full size type drive train you are using.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have a 10 inch + lift including tires and suspension components that shouldn't be a problem
That makes sense. Was curious about the overview of the project drive train wise

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The best way to install an SBC is to load it into the bed for ballast.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 10 inch + lift including tires and suspension components that shouldn't be a problem
That makes sense. Was curious about the overview of the project drive train wise
If you are looking to start a debate about Ford versus Chevy you won't get it from me. People put chevy engines in these Rangers once in awhile so it's nothing new. All the mounts and crossmembers will be custom built.

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
If you are looking to start a debate about Ford versus Chevy you won't get it from me. People put chevy engines in these Rangers once in awhile so it's nothing new. All the mounts and crossmembers will be custom built.
No lol. I want a discussion about things to think about and the swap. Hopefully there is no undertones of that. Need help on wiring the engine and what is needed. If anyone has wiring suggestions that would help

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Isn't a 383 just a SBC block with a stroker kit in it...?

Do you have to pass smog in CO? Might be a challenge for you to do this swap if you do.

Everything will have to be custom done. Motor/trans mounts, rear driveshaft, IMO the radiator will be your biggest hurdle because all of the Ford V6s and 302s had the lower rad connection on the driver's side. SBC is opposite of that. Otherwise it is about the same as any other V8 swap. I know a couple people here have done them. @RangerFabWorks I think did?

DIYer314

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to do emissions, yes. If there is a will there is a way. I'll check out Ranger Fab works

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to do emissions, yes. If there is a will there is a way. I'll check out Ranger Fab works
Unless you have a lenient inspector, no there is not a way. Maybe if you had a small block chevy that was the same year or later and could prove this, and it had all the emissions stuff and fuel injection that it it was certified at the factory, and you could prove it, then maybe. Smog pump, evap system, the whole nine yards. Unless you know someone that will pass it for you. And even then, I would run a quiet single exhaust system on it. People are hot on this green stuff, and anything to get to noticed would be a bad thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals