• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Transit connect not charging after jump start

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Thought I would run this by the (sometimes :icon_twisted:) knowledgeable folks here at TRS. Last weekend I left the power inverter on in my service van. :annoyed: Jump started it Tuesday morning, and afterwards, the charging system was not functioning. Could start the van, and put a meter on the battery and only getting 12.0 volts while running. We swapped out the alternator, and still getting same voltage. I have read that the voltage regulator is built into the pcm on these. Is that the next step, or are there some fusible links or diodes within the wiring harness that can be checked first?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Regulator is on the alternator. The PCM does tell it how much voltage it wants though.

The test says to make sure the battery is at 12.2 or better before testing the system, then you just check voltage drops.

Put meter positive on alternator housing, meter negative on battery negative. Any reading higher than .25V shows a ground problem.

If ok put meter positive on B+ terminal on alternator, meter negative on battery positive. Any reading above .5V indicates a poor connection between the alternator and the battery.

Those test are done engine running at idle, headlights on and blower on high.

12.0 sounds like charging but something is drawing the system down or it's just charging weakly. Running on the battery rarely gives you more than 11.5.

If you want to do a quick test of the alternator itself unplug the little plug for the regulator, start the engine, and rev it up past 2000 RPM for 5 to 10 seconds, then return to idle. You should have 13.5 at the battery.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Thank you sir, I will go and check that out to make sure everything is working like it should. Boss was looking at it again last night ad found that the 200 amp fuse in line with the battery + to the alternator was popped. Not sure how that happened...:icon_confused: Thanks for the info adsm08! :icon_thumby:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Not saying you did; but, if someone hooks up the jumper cables backward you can blow that fuse.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals