• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 4.0 5 speed Front locker options

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've done some research in finding a front locker for my truck. I can find that my truck has the dana 35, but I can't find how many splines it has. Is it the same as the 28 in the factory rear axle? If so, what are my best options for cost vs quality for a front locker?
Any help is appreciated, and I apologize if this has been asked before. I did a forum search and I couldn't find anything.

Thank you!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A front locker/ limited slip is treacherous to drive on the road in snow. We sold a few traction lok front and rear F150's and Broncos and the customers hated them.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
A front locker/ limited slip is treacherous to drive on the road in snow. We sold a few traction lok front and rear F150's and Broncos and the customers hated them.
Thats why I want a locker. I'm gonna be putting a geared lsd in the rear with the 28 spline factory axle, but I'd like the option to lock the front if I have to. I live in Maine and mud season is treacherous. I wouldn't use it hardly at all, it would just be nice to have the option. Does having a locker disengaged drive differently than an open differential?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
You must be talking about an E locker of some sort, that would work for off road. It's not like you could unlock the front hubs because an 07 doesn't have them.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
You must be talking about an E locker of some sort, that would work for off road. It's not like you could unlock the front hubs because an 07 doesn't have them.
I know my front doesn't have locking hubs. I'd like a locker for my front axle. Would an unlocked locking differential make on-road driving different? I only run 2wd, even in snow unless I'm either a) pulling someone out of the ditch or b) about to climb a serious hill.

I'd like to purchase this for my rear axle.

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
My understanding is that a front locker will lock only when driveshaft torque is applied. So if you are trying to go up a hill on a snowy road with a curve in it, you have steering when you are in 2wd, and in 4x4 when you are off the gas.

-edited to clarify-

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My understanding is that a front locker will lock only when driveshaft torque is applied. So if you are trying to go up a snowy road with a curve in it, you have steering when you are off the gas.
I wouldn't lock it in the snow, because of the steering. I want it for the mud in the spring and fall.

Back to my original question, what locker will fit the front axle of my '07?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
My customers had trouble driving in snow, in 2wd, if the hubs were locked and so would you whether the transfer case was in 4x4 or not.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My customers had trouble driving in snow, in 2wd, if the hubs were locked and so would you whether the transfer case was in 4x4 or not.
My truck doesn't have locking hubs, and the only time I have problems in snow in 2wd is going up hills that I can't gain momentum on.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Right, but yours is equivalent to one with the hubs locked because you can't disconnect them.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Right, but yours is equivalent to one with the hubs locked because you can't disconnect them.
Yes. But if I get a locker, when it's disengaged it will act like an open diff, giving power to the wheel with less traction, as I understand it. So, therefore, if my understanding is correct, in 4wd, front diff unlocked, it will perform the same as with the factory differential. Is this a correct statement?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you're talking about something like a Detroit locker, no it'll unlock with a click and a jerk on turns. Locked is the default. A traction lok or other clutch type differential isn't exactly locked but it will resist the wheels being turned because the inner wheel rotates fewer times than the outer wheel on a turn.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
If you're talking about something like a Detroit locker, no it'll unlock with a click and a jerk on turns. Locked is the default. A traction lok or other clutch type differential isn't exactly locked but it will resist the wheels being turned because the inner wheel rotates fewer times than the outer wheel on a turn.
I'm talking about an air or e-locker. I know, conceptually, how they work, I've done research on them to see what would best fit my application. Which is why I asked if they make a locker for the front axle. I'm not asking about the practicality, I'm asking about spline count and any other things I need to know in order to find and buy the locker.

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
Ah, I understand what you are after now. Do they make an e or air locker for D35 IFS SLA? I hadnt seen one.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Ah, I understand what you are after now. Do they make an e or air locker for D35 IFS SLA? I hadnt seen one.
I'm not sure, that's why I was asking for axle spline count. They make one for a regular dana 35, I don't know why the housing would be different for a IFS vs solid. I plan on making some phone calls to some companies to see if they had any ideas, but I figured it would be worth a shot to ask here, there's a lot of knowledgeable people here. I'm only 22 so I'll take what knowledge people will share with me lol.

Edit: I know the exterior housing is different, but I'm not sure if the differential "housing" itself on the inside, where the ring, carrier, etc, is different on the ranger dana 35 vs a solid dana 35

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals