• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 4.0 5 speed Front locker options

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
6 mos ago I did a survey and found no electric or air lockers for the front. Yours and mine are both D35 IFS SLA. I'm saving up my pennies to get some kind of locker for the front.

I found the following info for 98+ rangers and 1st gen sport tracs, if it is of use:
Helical gear lockers:
--Powertrax No-slip 9204352706
--Torsen type 2 975420-0207B

Spiral gear lockers:
--Powertrax Grip Pro GT443527

LS style clutch pack lockers:
-- Yukon Duragrip YDGM35-4-27-1

I'm leaning toward the No-slip.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
ARB is a air type locking diff. I did a quick look and don't see any made for your frontend. They make them for the 8.8 rear.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
6 mos ago I did a survey and found no electric or air lockers for the front. Yours and mine are both D35 IFS SLA. I'm saving up my pennies to get some kind of locker for the front.

I found the following info for 98+ rangers and 1st gen sport tracs, if it is of use:
Helical gear lockers:
--Powertrax No-slip 9204352706
--Torsen type 2 975420-0207B

Spiral gear lockers:
--Powertrax Grip Pro GT443527

LS style clutch pack lockers:
-- Yukon Duragrip YDGM35-4-27-1

I'm leaning toward the No-slip.
Would a torsen be "loose" enough to allow full steering lock without issues? I understand the concept of a torsen, quite fascinating. If I have to sacrifice turning radius I'll keep it open, I bought the truck for its size and maneuverability.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've heard rumors of the Jeep D35 rear parts fitting in a D35-TTB (with the TTB gears obviously). IDK why the housing would be different on the newer front diff? I can't say that I've ever seen it done though.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've heard rumors of the Jeep D35 rear parts fitting in a D35-TTB (with the TTB gears obviously). IDK why the housing would be different on the newer front diff? I can't say that I've ever seen it done though.
I've done some more digging, the D35 IFS SLR has a sliiightly different inner housing. 1 person said they had no issues putting in a certain jeep true locker, can't remember which one though. I saw for a second someone converted their truck from what I have to the manual hubs, something about swapping the CVs and inner axles to the older style. If that's an option I might do that, if I can find it again. I've always like that option, between functionality, the way it looks, and the old-school feel. That would allow me to run a true locker and not have to worry about steering issues, I'd just have to hop out and engage the hubs.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've done some more digging, the D35 IFS SLR has a sliiightly different inner housing. 1 person said they had no issues putting in a certain jeep true locker, can't remember which one though. I saw for a second someone converted their truck from what I have to the manual hubs, something about swapping the CVs and inner axles to the older style. If that's an option I might do that, if I can find it again. I've always like that option, between functionality, the way it looks, and the old-school feel. That would allow me to run a true locker and not have to worry about steering issues, I'd just have to hop out and engage the hubs.

Here's the official walkthrough. I'm assuming the 9'8 ranger has the same knuckle as the '07?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Here's the official walkthrough. I'm assuming the 9'8 ranger has the same knuckle as the '07?
As I understand it the lockable hubs are weaker then the hubs on a live axle ranger. This may be a problem down the road for you.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
As I understand it the lockable hubs are weaker then the hubs on a live axle ranger. This may be a problem down the road for you.
I don't plan on giving my truck more power, a higher lift, or bigger tires. It's got 31s on it right now. Is the factory height, power, and 31s an issue?

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
It specifies that it fits the IFS of the '07, and it says 28 spline, so I presume they're aware of the SLA setup. Kinda pricey, but I feel like this will perform better than either the hub conversion or a torsen differential, at least for my application anyway.

Anyone tried to fit this into an IFS SLA?

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
Info on that webpage might be messed up, - in the applications for front diff it also says 8.8. Hmm, might need to go to the mfgr site and check.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Info on that webpage might be messed up, - in the applications for front diff it also says 8.8. Hmm, might need to go to the mfgr site and check.
Good eye, thank you!

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Sniper, just a few questions-

What diff do you have in the rear? (Open, L/S, Locker)?
Do you drive mainly on road, or do you spend most time off road?

On my truck, it came with a Torsen in the rear from the factory and an open front diff. I purchased the Torsen for the front and installed it several years ago. I have honestly had no problems driving with it on road in the snow. The key is to not drive like an idiot. The only time I have had loss of traction that is noticeable is on ice, and in all honesty, its to be expected. I did not slip and slide, I just had to crawl at low speed, and the truck could move and steer ok.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've never heard of a manual locker for the front on the SLA D35. Basically it's the no-slip vs the Torsen. My vote would be for the Torsen for general manners, but it's not currently available and you're looking at $550 and differential setup. The no-slip drops into the existing open diff and you can pick it up for closer to $300.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the front diff in 98+ SLA rangers is 27 splines.
here is a size comparison between a 7.5 rear carrier and a front D35-SLA.
the rear is about 7.5" wide, the front is less than 6.5" wide, bearing to bearing.
note the front is only 8 ring gear bolts.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
the front diff in 98+ SLA rangers is 27 splines.
here is a size comparison between a 7.5 rear carrier and a front D35-SLA.
the rear is about 7.5" wide, the front is less than 6.5" wide, bearing to bearing.
note the front is only 8 ring gear bolts.

View attachment 57205
Thank you very much!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals