• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 build

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i have gotten my hands on a beater and this makes building my truck possible becuase now i can work 2 jobs :-D.

My plan is to do the stroker with the matching transmission, the goal driveline to look for would be an 88-89 2.3 motor correct? And would the clutch system be the same as it is with the fm145?

I wanna shoot for a 10.5:1 compression with a mallory distributor system, and like 24 lb/hr. Injectors.

For the compression what would be my best route to take, andi was thinking about holley 24lb injectors, would that be smart or should i limit it to 19#?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the cam. If you are only milling the head, and not changing the cam, the injectors don't need to be that big. The stock ecu will make up enough to use 17 or 19 lb injectors. Anything bigger and you need a tuner.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
And to add to that...if you are considering stroking a 2.3 I'd go with something a bit later if possible...like a 96 2.3...unless you want to put a carb/distributor on it like I've been thinking of doing. If you are staying with FI then using your current head would work with all the intake and sensors...might want to rebuild a roller cam head if you don't have one currently.

FM145? The 2.3 usually is better mated to the M5OD...and they are plentiful...so far.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i want to put a mallory distributor and do a stock toller cam swap

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always forget what year the roller heads started. Oh an is it possible block of the extra 4 plug holes? =-O ive heard of people donig the 4-plug conversions but i dont know how

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You could block off the plugs, or just leave unconnected plugs in them, but the intake will not let you put a distributor in. The four plug swap requires an older head. Without the old style efi intake, the distributor will never fit.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thats not a problem then, i just need to find the head

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get the roller cam and roller followers from a 1994, and earlier 2.3.

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
FM145? The 2.3 usually is better mated to the M5OD...and they are plentiful...so far.
Not so much around these parts...there are a lot of Rangers in the yards, but usually, the M5od's get pulled faster than anything else...

I just finished swapping my '85 to M5od...happy I did, but surprised at how high the demand for them, and associated parts are, here.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where could i get the kit? Cuz i would rather have that brand new instead of used

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where could i get the kit? Cuz i would rather have that brand new instead of used

If you are talking about roller cams it's a lot cheaper to find them in a salvage yard then buying them new. The roller cams (not factory Ford cams) are in the $300 - $400 range, and 8 roller cam followers are another $300 +. I've done a few "salvage yard" roller cam swaps with no failures (as long as the inside of the engine is clean, plus checking over the cam, and followers for wear isn't that hard to do).

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How much greater of a difference is the m5 over the fm?

Last edited:

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is your guys opinions about full synth motor oil? In brand new motors and older foreign motors? My brother and i have some jdm beaters he a an 88 civic and i have an 86 corolla, but in the 130k mile range, and was just curious about what you guys with more experience building/maintaing motors and some with even high performance motors, what would be your reccomendation? And i only run valvoline with fram filtera

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I picked up a few pails of synthetic for free from a company that was cleaning house. When I use it in high mileage motors I see more leakage from seals and gaskets. But it was free so ....
Newer motors or motors that have had synth the whole life it doesn't do that.
JMO

Richard

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Full synthetics are not worth the cost unless you can run it for an entire life cycle. For example, Royal Purple, if your car does not leak any fluids and has a tight cylinder will last for 25,000 miles. Most people can't run it that long though because of blow by gasses. Run conventional oil, I do I'm my 600cc microsprint motor, and we turn 13,000-15,000 rpm all night in those motors. We just change it every 2 or 3 races.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals