• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 cylinder head replacement options

Aushkoshbgosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got an 88 ranger 2.3 I'm trying to fix
Heads cracked
4 plug 2.3s are getting harder to find
I can buy a rebuild for 7-8 hundred
I can get a new bare head for 400, using that and the parts for the old one I imagine I can have it rebuilt.
I'm also looking at alternatives.
An 8 plug head from 89 will fit, I have a distributor so I'll just run it to the 4 passenger side plugs and cover the driver side plugs
Thoughts? Opinions? Input?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure the 1988 intake will bolt to a 1989-1994 heads
The 1989+ head would be better to use(its a better design) and just put in 4 old spark plugs to seal the extra holes

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The intake pattern changed in '89 and the intake manifold needed for it will interfere with the distributor unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck needing a '85-88 head unless you switch to distributorless ignition... which would require some parts you don't have either...

Aushkoshbgosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea... That's what I was worried about
Well thanks
Is the manifold completely unfit? Can I get the head modified or get some kind of adapter for it? I can see the intake is pretty much completely different but I read that it's doable. (I just couldn't find any kits to do it)
As for the distributor I really don't want to change the the ignition system
But would my idea work in the first place? A four plug distributor on an 8 plug head?
At this point I'm just curious think I'm gonna have to shell out for the new rebuilt anyway.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The 4 exhaust side spark plugs are in the same location no matter what head as the exhaust side stayed the same from the 70's through '01, they just changed the intake side a bunch of times...

I haven't been able to or taken the time to compare the two, oddly enough I have a '88 and '89 engine on a pallet in my shop right now, I'm going to be pretty preocupied for the next week though... if you can wait until next week I might be able to come up with an answer if no one else has by then... Anything is possible with the right fabrication tools but I'll see how close the bolt patterns and port layout are.

I'm running an '85-86 turbo setup on my '90 but I'm using the intake from the turbo engine and the turbo head, annoyingly the two DIS engines I had when I did the swap got scrapped... wish I had the spare parts now but 12 years ago was a different time...

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here are some places in Texas that claim to have one.

Cylinder Head Assembly
Ford Ranger
X​
$150​
Eagle Mountain Auto Salvage USA-TX(Ft.-Worth) Request_Quote 817-237-3350 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1126​
Cylinder Head Assembly
Ford Mustang
LX,2.3,EFI,Factory
X​
AA0394
$Call​
SW Part Zone USA-TX(Houston) Request_Quote 346-666-7278 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1143​
Cylinder Head Assembly
Ford Ranger
X​
$Call​
K & K Motors, Inc. USA-TX(Graham) Request_Quote 1-800-766-2009 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Seeing that list just reminded me, the mustangs didn't go DIS til '91 so that adds a couple more things to look for... they had a slightly different cam but the Ranger one will drop in...

Aushkoshbgosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ ranger
Transmission
Manual
Damn this is awesome thank you

Aushkoshbgosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 4 exhaust side spark plugs are in the same location no matter what head as the exhaust side stayed the same from the 70's through '01, they just changed the intake side a bunch of times...

I haven't been able to or taken the time to compare the two, oddly enough I have a '88 and '89 engine on a pallet in my shop right now, I'm going to be pretty preocupied for the next week though... if you can wait until next week I might be able to come up with an answer if no one else has by then... Anything is possible with the right fabrication tools but I'll see how close the bolt patterns and port layout are.

I'm running an '85-86 turbo setup on my '90 but I'm using the intake from the turbo engine and the turbo head, annoyingly the two DIS engines I had when I did the swap got scrapped... wish I had the spare parts now but 12 years ago was a different time...
Ya
I'm not in a hurry
I'm still Shopping around for a replacement

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals