• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 xlt ranger with a 2001 engine swap 4L

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
i bought this truck a few years back and it treated me rather well other than (i am sure i am using wrong word, little black box that plugs into the wiring hardness) silenoid giving me issues with truck not starting unless it was played with in the wiring harness, not sure if it was the right fix but a friend just soldered some wires and it fixed that issue

fast forward a year or so and the truck was getting me to work and back with very little issues, well one day on the way home from work it felt like the entire truck was tugging like i was going uphill with a huge load but i wasn't i was barely going at a incline at all and the truck was slowing down, it eventually stopped and it ran perfect all the way home, the next morning i put it in reverse after warming it up and i heard this noise like i had just backed into someone, freaked out i get out of the truck and see nothing (funny part is that i actually got out and made sure nobody was behind me before hand) so i put it back in reserve and it moves only a few feet backwards and wont go any futher i put it in drive and it moves just about to where i normally park and its been sitting there for sadly 1+ year i have had several "mechanics" look at it nobody really ever gives me much to go on, the most recent guy put it on jackstands and did a few tests i didnt really understand and he claims the rear diff needs repaired/replaced.

well if this is the wrong section i am sorry first time user just signed up today found this site on duckduckgo.com search ty for any help!

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
darn no replys well it turns out (i think) i need to get a new rear end,
1999 Ford Ranger Rear Axle Assembly
XLT, 4.0, 4X4 8.8 RING GEAR, 9 BRAKES, 3.73 RATIO

the prices seem all over the place for these tried several local wrecking yards only to find out most of them are all connected to same business B & R, anyone have what they think is a fair price for one of these?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Sorry no one responded

Yes, could be the rear axle, did you ever notice a HUMMMM coming from the rear will driving before this happened?

Yes, you can use a 1993-2009 Ranger rear axle, so the one listed is fine

You can check on your drivers door label, back edge, for your AXLE code, then go here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

This AXLE code will tell you what it has now

I ASSUME you have a 2WD not a 4x4, if you have a 4x4 then you MUST match ratio, i.e. 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10
If 2WD you can use what you want, speedo will still be correct because its a 1998-2000 Ranger

Go to car-parts: http://www.car-part.com/

Enter your info and see what the going rate is in your area
1999 Ford Ranger, axle assembly rear w/housing
Then select the type you have now from the list

Prices vary by area, also miles on the used part when its part of the drivetrain

Last edited:

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
yah its a 4x4, but you know i do think there was a hum sound here and there, with that said i put it on jackstands and when i move the tires it makes some messed up sounds, ty for the reply ill look into this

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
another thing that makes me thing you might be right about the axel the left back tire if you put one and on the top and one on the bottom the tire its self can wobble back n fourth and that cant be normal

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, reads like rear differential has failed in some way

Because its a 4x4 you need to match rear axle ratio and front axle ratio, so get the AXLE Code

Any rear axle from a 1993-2009 Ranger with matching ratio will work and fit, you have a 8.8" but a 7.5" will work
9" or 10" brakes also don't matter, 10" would be better but 9" work just fine
L/S, limited slip are best to find/use but also not required

The RATIO is the big deal because you have a 4x4

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
damn this is really helpful yah 3.73 ratio for sure, ty for your help

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If it's not a daily driver that you need done immediately I'd hold out for a L/S axle. Or even a 2010-2011 so you get the disc rear brakes.

DrCox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
ill def call around town see if i can find a disc break unit that sound like a nice upgrade if i can get it

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's a rare option being the last 2 years of the ranger. But if you find one, why not.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well.............rear discs do require more work, i.e. brake lines and brake cables

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals