• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1988 XLT Carb Swap Questions

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Hey all,

Recently got my hands on a 2.3 that’s currently fuel injected but the engine wiring harness is toasted. Edward scissor hands got into the engine bay and went to town.

Currently piecing together the conversion for carb based off posts here and other places.

Here’s what I have so far:
- [ ] Weber 32/36

- [ ]

- [ ] Adapter for lower intake

- [ ] Distributor

- [ ] Gm hei

- [ ] PC 91 e coil

- [ ] Freeze plugs for injector holes

- [ ] Fuel pressure regulator

- [ ] Fuel lines

- [ ] New spark plugs

My only concern is this distributor and e coil I got:

E coil:

I am not sure if that setup would work with the gm hei system. Or if I may have gotten the wrong distributor. I tried to search for ones from older pintos and mustang II but no place, along with rock auto, has any in stock with the vacuum advance.

Any help/insigits would be appreciated. Want to get this old girl back on the road.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The 8000 series is called a "magnetic pickup" style distributor. So the HEI module should work with it. That is what the GM HEI distributor uses, and is also what the Ford Duraspark II distributor uses. It generates a A/C signal when the distributor turns.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
The 8000 series is called a "magnetic pickup" style distributor. So the HEI module should work with it. That is what the GM HEI distributor uses, and is also what the Ford Duraspark II distributor uses. It generates a A/C signal when the distributor turns.
Okay thank you. I had thought it would since according to the other listings I had seen it shows up as a replacement part for the older engines I was mostly concerned since on the listing description it also said a cd type distributor.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
An update:

Got the adapter in today and managed to get the top intake off and I ran into my first issue.

The lower intake is a 4 barrel but the adapter I got seems to be setup for a two barrel.

Not sure if I need to get an adapter for an adapter or find another setup to use.

here’s the adapter I went with:

Attachments

Cowboy Jim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

Recently got my hands on a 2.3 that’s currently fuel injected but the engine wiring harness is toasted. Edward scissor hands got into the engine bay and went to town.

Currently piecing together the conversion for carb based off posts here and other places.

Here’s what I have so far:
- [ ] Weber 32/36

- [ ]

- [ ] Adapter for lower intake

- [ ] Distributor

- [ ] Gm hei

- [ ] PC 91 e coil

- [ ] Freeze plugs for injector holes

- [ ] Fuel pressure regulator

- [ ] Fuel lines

- [ ] New spark plugs

My only concern is this distributor and e coil I got:

E coil:

I am not sure if that setup would work with the gm hei system. Or if I may have gotten the wrong distributor. I tried to search for ones from older pintos and mustang II but no place, along with rock auto, has any in stock with the vacuum advance.

Any help/insigits would be appreciated. Want to get this old girl back on the road.
Hey I have a solution! You could just drop this in it and call it a day! I just pulled this out of a lifted Suzuki Samurai I had built that was lifted with a crap ton of mods. No, not kidding, it really was in a Zuk. You may or may not notice a "slight" increase in performance. Oh and that hole in the hood, thats all ok. It lets pretty and shiny things stick up and make noise!! LOL

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
An update:

Got the adapter in today and managed to get the top intake off and I ran into my first issue.

The lower intake is a 4 barrel but the adapter I got seems to be setup for a two barrel.

Not sure if I need to get an adapter for an adapter or find another setup to use.

here’s the adapter I went with:
That is not a 4 barrel lower intake. That is a 4 hole EFI lower intake. Even though it looks like a 4 barrel intake, you will never find a 4 barrel adapter that will fit. For a bolt on solution, you most likely need to find a earlier engine that had a carb from the factory and use that manifold. IF, it will fit your cylinder head. I have not experimented much with the 2.3, though my turbo SVO had a intake on it just like yours.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have this efi manifold that has a homemade phenolic adapter to fit a 2bbl. The efi ports were welded shut. I've never used it yet so don't know how well it will work.

Attachments

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
That is not a 4 barrel lower intake. That is a 4 hole EFI lower intake. Even though it looks like a 4 barrel intake, you will never find a 4 barrel adapter that will fit. For a bolt on solution, you most likely need to find a earlier engine that had a carb from the factory and use that manifold. IF, it will fit your cylinder head. I have not experimented much with the 2.3, though my turbo SVO had a intake on it just like yours.
Yeah I was hopeful but you're right.

I have this efi manifold that has a homemade phenolic adapter to fit a 2bbl. The efi ports were welded shut. I've never used it yet so don't know how well it will work.
Was that a 3d printed adapter you made? Or how is it made?

I managed to find this one:

Which is referenced on this website:

Ford 2.3l SOHC EFI Intake Manifold Adapter
Install Holley, Weber or Ford 4 cyl 2-Barrel. CNC machined from billet aluminum. 1" thick, full stepped plenum, increased fuel atomization and optimized carburetor position. Clear Hard Anodized. This adapter is designed for stock EFI manifolds, and can be ported. Complete with instructions, bolts and gaskets.

I believe this one might fit and work for what i'm looking for.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Install Holley, Weber or Ford 4 cyl 2-Barrel. CNC machined from billet aluminum. 1" thick, full stepped plenum, increased fuel atomization and optimized carburetor position. Clear Hard Anodized. This adapter is designed for stock EFI manifolds, and can be ported. Complete with instructions, bolts and gaskets.

I never made it. It came with an engine I got in trade for some work. It looks to be custom made as the engine was custom built for salt flats racing.

The link you show looks like it will work to me too.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Good find, though not cheap is it?

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Good find, though not cheap is it?
Unfortunately not no. So far the most expensive part of the swap. Everything else so far has been around 100 or less. So far with the cost of the truck and parts I am about 950 into the project.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
You got a weber for 100 or less? Wow, prives have dropped, or its not a real weber.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
You got a weber for 100 or less? Wow, prives have dropped, or its not a real weber.
Trying out the chyna version of a 32/36

So just around 95 with a discount I had from a gift card.

I’ve heard negative things about them but in the motorcycle world I’ve used china replacement carbs and parts and so far haven’t had any issues

Today I also managed to un spaghetti the engine harness and yank it out.

Still need to move some things around but it’s getting there.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you have any woodworking tools? You could possibly make your own spacer/adapter out of phenolic. Problem is, it's not that cheap either. You can get a 6 inch by 6 inch by 3/4 inch thick piece for $76.14 from McMaster Carr.

A scroll saw would probably do a decent job of it.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Do you have any woodworking tools? You could possibly make your own spacer/adapter out of phenolic. Problem is, it's not that cheap either. You can get a 6 inch by 6 inch by 3/4 inch thick piece for $76.14 from McMaster Carr.

A scroll saw would probably do a decent job of it.
For the cost of getting the tools and the material, plus being inexperienced with woodworking and fabrication, I’ll just spend the 130 for this bracket for now and see if it works. I’m pretty hopeful with this one. Won’t come in till the weekend though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals