• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Ranger 3.0 OBD not ready for smog after drive cycle

Socal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hope this is the right section to post. I'm just learning about cars so forgive my ignorance. I need some help to pass smog -- OBD is still not ready - oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor heater, evap, and cat are not completed. Expired tags for over a month so far :(.
I have gotten a new battery and have completed a few drive cycle attempts since then, maybe 3 ( looked at the ford drive cycle) after the new battery, about 200+ miles. Driving stop and go and at 55 on the freeway with hazards on, in socal... Smog guy checked the Fuel trim and STFT on both banks were identically +12.5, so running lean. He said maybe a vaccume leak, i have visually inspected vaccume hoses/lines, the PCV valve was replaced like 8 years ago, but have not checked this with smoke yet. There are no codes. Months ago i had a p0102 code but i replaced the MAF and cleaned my K&N air filter and it did not return. This was all pre - smog attempts, so im thinking i should clean the new maf again b/c of the fresh K&N oil in the air filter...? Maybe I need more drive cycles? Im gonna replace the cigarette lighter fuse just in case and get a new radiator cap. Any suggestions? Opinions? Truck has 97,000 milles and starts up great every time idles at under 1500 rpms at first ,then dips to around 1000, it vibrates a little but not a violent shake or anything.... no check engine light. Runs fine as far as i can tell but i dont drive that much. Thanks in advance for any tips. Hoping I don't have to just scrap my perfectly fine running truck because OBD monitors wont ready.

edit - I started the car and unplugged the IAC and the idle dropped to just above 500 rpms, like 600 rpms-ish - does this indate a vaccume leak as well?

Last edited:

Socal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yep I have that printed out and have been tryin to follow it each time. How excact do I need to be?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Trying to follow drive cycle "rules" is an insane and pointless task in my experience. Keep the gas tank around half to 3/4 full and drive normally. The system needs x amount of cold soak times that you simply can't force.

Btw change your freaking pcv valve for god sakes...

And as far as fuel trims, those numbers mean nothing without other info. They could be and probably are perfectly fine.

Unplugging the iac and having the idle drop like that is a good sign of no vac leaks.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've driven countless customer cars to clear the monitors so they could pass NH inspection. This is what I would do:
Make sure there's over 1/4 tank of fuel and the cap is on tight.
Warm up the engine and go for a test drive
Get on the interstate and drive 10 minutes at 55-65 mph- I'd go 62 because any faster would mean going another 5-6 miles to the next exit.
Get off the highway and get on the entrance ramp to head back, accelerating at least 2/3 throttle to 60 mph. Coast back to a stop and repeat the 2/3 throttle acceleration.
Get off at the next exit and find a spot to stop and let the engine idle in drive for 2 minutes
Drive back to the shop through town stopping and taking off as many times as I could.
The Ford manual says to avoid turns and hills on the drive cycle, that's impossible here. We have so few straight sections of road that we name them, I live about a mile from West Canaan flat, Canaan Flat is a couple miles in the other direction, and Hammond's Flat is on the southern side of Canaan. My method almost always worked.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've driven countless customer cars to clear the monitors so they could pass NH inspection. This is what I would do:
Make sure there's over 1/4 tank of fuel and the cap is on tight.
Warm up the engine and go for a test drive
Get on the interstate and drive 10 minutes at 55-65 mph- I'd go 62 because any faster would mean going another 5-6 miles to the next exit.
Get off the highway and get on the entrance ramp to head back, accelerating at least 2/3 throttle to 60 mph. Coast back to a stop and repeat the 2/3 throttle acceleration.
Get off at the next exit and find a spot to stop and let the engine idle in drive for 2 minutes
Drive back to the shop through town stopping and taking off as many times as I could.
The Ford manual says to avoid turns and hills on the drive cycle, that's impossible here. We have so few straight sections of road that we name them, I live about a mile from West Canaan flat, Canaan Flat is a couple miles in the other direction, and Hammond's Flat is on the southern side of Canaan. My method almost always worked.
Great description!! The Ford IDS diag computer has a process for this. Allows you to bypass the EVAP section, and clear the monitors. Most smog stations, will pass you with ONE monitor, uncleared.

Socal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK thanks guys, I'm not givin up yet. I'll will keep tryin to drive cycle and use 19Walt93's tips. And the PCV valve was replaced in 2013, I inspected it and it still sucks and rattles, so I think its good.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuse 21 in engine fuse box, 10amp, is the KAM(keep alive memory) power for the PCM(computer), this fuse always has power and holds the "test results" in PCM Memory when key is off, so it doesn't have to retest at every startup

Have a look at it, if you pull it out you will have start over again

And................test battery voltage, 12.8v-12.3volts is a good battery, after it sits overnight, need to test batteries after they sit for at least 6 hours
If lower then when you start the engine the voltage can drop too low, and KAM power goes to low, so memory is cleared and OBD tests have to start over every startup

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
NH uses the Gordon Darby OBD II test system, a Ford with one "not ready" will fail. Several Asian cars will pass with up to 2 not readys and that never made sense to me.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
NH uses the Gordon Darby OBD II test system, a Ford with one "not ready" will fail. Several Asian cars will pass with up to 2 not readys and that never made sense to me.
No, certainly doesn't, being that OBDII was to "standardize" this entire issue:cautious:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Obd2 is standardized for the most part but some cars have more systems monitored than necessary under different US or state smog rules. NJ allows up to 2 systems to not be complete as long as there are no permanent or pending codes.

Socal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at fuse 21 (kam) in the engine w/out pullin it out, seemed ok. I will check the battery again, even though its new. I've been reading through the forums tryin to get a clue of what could be wrong. Did two more attempts at a drive cycle, tried to follow 19Walt93's, I'll try Jim's next, and still same 4 monitors not complete. Maybe the truck idles a little high (1000) even when warm? Also air intake temp reads a little high, like 110 and its only 65 outside. I don't kno if this means anything. Here's the diagnostics from smog place today after driving for 40+ mins... Maybe I should clean the IAC valve?
:(20200205_123332.jpg

edit -With the IAC unplugged my car wouldn't start/dies instantly. idk what this means.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
After you clean it disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the memory- and don't unplug anything else- before the road test.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You test IAC valve while engine is warmed up and idling
THEN you unplug it and RPMs should drop to 500 or engine may even stall, either is GOOD, it means no vacuum leaks and IAC Valve is working, closing all the way

Computer opens IAC Valve all the way for starting the engine, if you unplug it and then try to start engine it won't have enough AIR to start and stay running
You could push down on "gas" pedal a bit to let in more air as needed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals