• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes, we use them to sell electricity to Calif

Most are hydro-electric but we tell the Californians we use Moose and Beavers on tread mills and mouse and beaver food is expensive so not a price gouge just expensive food
But the jokes on us, they default on most power bills, send back the bills with "Not at the address" on the unopened envelope
That sad thing, is this might be true...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is true, I read it in a Tabloid Headline

"Moose on treadmill powering Calif Air Conditioning"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It is true, I read it in a Tabloid Headline

"Moose on treadmill powering Calif Air Conditioning"
That part I took for granted. I meant the part about California snubbing y'all on the bill.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Happen in the early 2000's and then Calif won a lawsuit against BC Hydro for Price Gouging in 2013, to the tune of 270million
But in fairness if you think a client won't pay you always raise the price since its a write off for taxes, lol

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Happen in the early 2000's and then Calif won a lawsuit against BC Hydro for Price Gouging in 2013, to the tune of 270million
But in fairness if you think a client won't pay you always raise the price since its a write off for taxes, lol
It wasn't because they thought they weren't going to get paid. It was simply market manipulation. There were numerous companies that were sued by California. Not all of them generated electricity. Some of the companies transported electricity. It was part of that whole mess created by Enron.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some call it manipulation, others call it freeloading :)

Depends on which side of the cash register you are standing, lol

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I posted earlier, there are now test results showing that best battery life is by keeping the battery between 60% and 80% charged nearly all the time. That is not hard to do if one is just driving it to and from work roughly 20-50 miles a day.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some call it manipulation, others call it freeloading :)

Depends on which side of the cash register you are standing, lol
It wasn't anything close to freeloading, and it wasn't the State that didn't pay the bills. Several of the large utilities couldn't pay the bill and the state had to bail out the utilities. PG&E in particular (which is always getting into trouble). I don't know why people think this kind of thing is OK. The issue was hammered out in the courts through multiple lawsuits and multiple angles. The discovery showed that Enron's game was to deregulate the energy markets and to intentionally create an energy shortage , and the defendants lost as a result. It has everything to do with corporate corruption. Enron wrote the laws to deregulate energy and lobbied the politicians. Corporations shouldn't be in the business of writing legislation. After the dust settled the State sued various parties involved with Enron to recover the costs.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not going to read everything. I'm not against EVs becoming a thing, but I don't like how they are being pushed or forced down our throats. They won't work for everyone. The infrastructure isn't there to support widespread adoption yet. Many other reasons I don't like them and think they are not a good fit for my life, some (most?) of which are already covered in the thread.

Having said that I think I might have found one EV that I have room for in my life. https://meyersmanx.com/pages/manx-2-0-ev

I could see using this as a daily driver for much of the year around here. Especially if it has a heater since our winters are fairly short and mild. Might be a fair weather ride, but I'd still have a gas/diesel ride for the nasty days. I'd be keeping a ICE truck for camping and hunting anyway. For the camping I'm pretty sure it would fit in a managable toyhauler to pull behind said truck.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Wow... the Manx is making a comeback. Who woulda thunk it.

They had a pretty large following back in the day.

I have considerable experience with these on a shortened VW beetle chassis and air cooled power plant.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i didn't hit the link but saw meyers manx and immediately know what it was. there is an old original one for sale here with a spare beetle

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i didn't hit the link but saw meyers manx and immediately know what it was. there is an old original one for sale here with a spare beetle
Link? There is someone looking for a body up here...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Not going to read everything. I'm not against EVs becoming a thing, but I don't like how they are being pushed or forced down our throats. They won't work for everyone. The infrastructure isn't there to support widespread adoption yet. Many other reasons I don't like them and think they are not a good fit for my life, some (most?) of which are already covered in the thread.

Having said that I think I might have found one EV that I have room for in my life. https://meyersmanx.com/pages/manx-2-0-ev

I could see using this as a daily driver for much of the year around here. Especially if it has a heater since our winters are fairly short and mild. Might be a fair weather ride, but I'd still have a gas/diesel ride for the nasty days. I'd be keeping a ICE truck for camping and hunting anyway. For the camping I'm pretty sure it would fit in a managable toyhauler to pull behind said truck.
Not a manx but built a tow bar for this in H.S. metal shop and towed it from NJ to NC in 1976 so I can see where that would work. I LOVE the way they kept the speedo :) but the seats have got to GO! :icon_rofl:
1662488654314.jpeg

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
There's alot of cool EV stuff out there besides EV's. It ain't so bad, just as someone mentioned, having it stuffed up our hineys and down our throats is a major turn off.

There is a lot of mini sized utility/sport useful or fun stuff on Alibaba or whatnot that they are not showing us.

I am looking fwd to conversion kits getting it together. I would mess with those on a few things.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I have a 94 F250 with the IDI diesel. I've done a little research into homemade biodiesel, and once I get settled down I might try it. The process is reasonably simple. It never gets (really) cold here which simplifies living with biodiesel. I read in an article someone was even using beef fat from a processor as their source of waste oil.

That said, the new house we're looking at buying is across town from work. I'd like to just use my bicycle for commuting when it's not the rainy season. In the rainy season an EV might actually make sense. My new 'commute' would be less than 10 minutes, a short enough trip that it could actually be damaging to my ICE vehicles as they wouldn't even warm up. And again, with the weather, batteries should be happy most of the time.

I didn't mind the 30 minute commute to my previous job most of the time. There was very little traffic and it gave me a chance to wind up and down before and after work. Oftentimes in the winter it was the complete opposite, extremely stressful. It's been an adjustment not having that "me" time now and I have to remind myself of those blizzardy drives to work when I start really missing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals