• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keeping it cool while at low speed!

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
So, I've been cruising around some in the 4.0 OHV A4LD. Its been real hot out, 100 plus for a week or two now. I've noticed while climbing or idling with the AC running my coolant temp is climbing out of the normal range for the truck.

Firstly, the fan clutch and fan are getting replaced, going to order the oem Motorcraft fan clutch and a new whatever brand fan. Im not real suspicious of the fan clutch being bad, however maybe its not hooking up as it should. Thought about tinkering around with doing an electric setup, bleh, seems like the factory setup will end up more reliable.

Secondly, I started looking into some options for a better radiator than the OEM two row aluminum with plastic tanks setup. Found the Champion brand, seems to be alright, not horribly expensive, and should fit without too much fuss. There is also the Be Cool brand, as seen on summit racing, substantially more expensive, maybe a better made product.

I am hoping to provide more cooling capacity for the motor and protect the poor A4LD from dieing on me. Maybe a substantial enough radiator upgrade would eliminate my plans for adding an additional transmission fluid cooler.

Now is my request for experience or input! Have any of you folks had any experience fooling around with these all aluminum aftermarket radiators? Are they worth the 300-700 dollars for some additional peace of mind?

Thanks folks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I seem to remember there being a three row radiator being available that will fit in a Ranger. Perhaps an oil cooler would help since oil is also a cooling agent for the engine. I would avoid messing with the thermostat temp if possible but it may be a way to go as well if the other stuff doesn't help enough.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
The Champion is an all aluminum radiator that is a 3 row setup. I got in contact with the distributor, they are currently backordered for an undetermined amount of time. :(

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Unfortunately, there is a lot of stuff on back order right now. It sucks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock hould work fine. Make sure yours isn’t plugged with bugs and dirt. Make sure it doesn’t have cardboard in front of it too.

Clutch might not be bad to throw at it. You might try a thermostat too. Put both old/new in a pot of water with a candy thermometer and heat it to boiling to see how they compare.

Add a tranny cooler for the A4LD if you are worried about it. I wouldn’t fuss over a 3 row for a 4.0.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm not sure bigger is better in some cases and this is one of them. I kinda feel like putting a bigger radiator on a 4.0, especially one like yours that already has the auto with AC radiator option, just creates a bigger heat sink. More air flow would be my suggestion... a heavier duty fan clutch or an auxiliary electric fan in front of the radiator to push air through it. And make sure it's not full of dirt and bugs.

Additional larger trans cooler is a must as well.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Yea, the radiator in it is in good shape, the system has been flushed out by me just a few months ago. The trans cooler and new clutch are probably a certainty at this point.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I don’t have A/C but I cool a 5.0 with a two row 4.0 radiator...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'm not sure bigger is better in some cases and this is one of them. I kinda feel like putting a bigger radiator on a 4.0, especially one like yours that already has the auto with AC radiator option, just creates a bigger heat sink. More air flow would be my suggestion... a heavier duty fan clutch or an auxiliary electric fan in front of the radiator to push air through it. And make sure it's not full of dirt and bugs.

Additional larger trans cooler is a must as well.
+1. I installed the thicker radiator (2.75") and it did not help. I went back to a new single core (.75") along with new fan and clutch and shroud, and that made the difference. It never overheats.I also installed a new oem motorcraft thermostat.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No on the larger radiator, no need for it

Classic symptom of rising temp gauge at low speed or idle, is fan clutch failing

If that doesn't help then radiator is clogged up or water pump impeller blades are dissolving from galvanic corrosion

When changing fan clutch, drain coolant and remove radiator from vehicle, just 2 bolts, and trans cooler lines
Should be VERY LIGHT, 0 coolant left inside, flip radiator over, if more coolant comes out replace radiator its clogged up

And remember to swap around heater hoses at the firewall ever few years, backflushing the core while driving, makes them last longer

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I seem to remember there being a three row radiator being available that will fit in a Ranger. Perhaps an oil cooler would help since oil is also a cooling agent for the engine. I would avoid messing with the thermostat temp if possible but it may be a way to go as well if the other stuff doesn't help enough.
Why? I've run a 180 on my 98 for 20 years now/. Never been a problem. And the temp needle is always below the normal range a small amount. Usually points at about one third on the gauge. normal is exactly one half. I run a 170 in my Lightning, stock is 180. I run a 170 in my 07 Mustang, stock is 180. Never had a single problem with any of them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
While running a lower temp thermostat is fine, it won't solve a problem with fan clutch or clogged rad or water pump issue

Engine is just more efficient at 190-200degF, better MPG and better at burning off oil contaminates, but doesn't hurt anything to run it cooler, also doesn't help if there an overheating issues, the 10 or even 20deg lower starting point is maybe 5second delay if there is overheating

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Relying on the factory gauges for any useful info can be expensive. You can waste a lot of money without a real gauge with numbers or at least getting a cheap infrared gun and shooting the radiator when you think it's hot.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Why? I've run a 180 on my 98 for 20 years now/. Never been a problem. And the temp needle is always below the normal range a small amount. Usually points at about one third on the gauge. normal is exactly one half. I run a 170 in my Lightning, stock is 180. I run a 170 in my 07 Mustang, stock is 180. Never had a single problem with any of them.
I view the change of the thermostat as the choice if nothing else works. I did the thermostat thing some years ago and it worked great in the summer but winter time was no fun. Of course, the OP lives in California, so winter isn't that much of a concern.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Relying on the factory gauges for any useful info can be expensive. You can waste a lot of money without a real gauge with numbers or at least getting a cheap infrared gun and shooting the radiator when you think it's hot.
Agreed. Most don't even have numbers anymore. The gauge reads in the middle. Great. What temperature is middle? What temperature is red for that matter?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals