• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 94 Ranger Recovery

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
How did you overcome the pinion angle after switching to shackle in the rear? How much did you have to lower your front mount and how short of a shackle did you need to keep it level? I'm still trying to figure it out for my sas.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry i didnt see your other post.

Ya they are 78-79 3" wide f250 f350 6" skyjacker springs with the 3 bottom leafs removed. They rode really good with the 4.0 and i had no front shocks on it. I planned it to accommodate my V8 swap so i can add a leaf if need be and they wont sag out.

Pinion angle was corrected by a degree shim installed into the leaf pack via center pin. My perch is high and tight like i wanted so they dont get hit on rocks and etc. and shackles are i believe only 4-5" eye to eye

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was going to run a 4.5" shackle and I'm using the same leafs you are. But it seemed I needed an 8" drop on the front to accommodate for pinion angle. I thought about shims but i assumed that would be unsafe. I'll look into it though. Thank you

Im mainly trying to avoid front shackle setups due to the endless stories I hear about death wobble

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Shims are no problem at all. People dont like blocks in front, not shims. Just make sure you use a shim that is as wide as your springs.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I think I'm Gonna stick with that idea. Front shackles and panhard is unnecessary work to make it ride decent. Just gonna make a decent, yet safe drop up front, prob about 4" below frame horns and make up the extra gap with shims

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was also planning on sending my passenger knuckle to sky. Do you have to mill both sides or can you just remove the driver side steering arm and attach a hi steer arm to the factory studs?

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to use the factory studs but id recommend a new stud kit instead of using 34 year old studs.

What i did on my ranger is capped the frame and i think i mounted the front hanger 1.5" forward and 1.5" below the frame but i was going for a really high mount. Just make sure you brace the perches good and tie them together if they hang down, these frames where never meant to have leaf springs. If you can id chop the crumple zone off and replace it with rec. toobing for strenght and better mounting point for the hangers

Last edited:

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Motor is permanently mounted in now. Tranny crossmember was modded to accept the new tranny/ transfercase. Just picked up a like new Edelbrock performer intake off C list for a hundred bones. Just need to sell the MSD Pro billet dizzy i have to fund a carb friendle dizzy.

To Do List:
-Install radiator (fullsize aluminum one fits nicely)
-Swap intake to carb intake
-Swap dizzy for carb friendly dizzy
-Plumb coolant lines
-Plumb tranny lines
-Shift linkage
-Drivelines
-Some electrical
-Install oil relocation kit
-Install accessory brackets and belt
-Plumb fuel
-Exhaust
-Fill tranny with ATF
-Change motor oil
-Patch heater box
-Pray like hell
-turn key and :3gears:

Theoretically that should be it. Hopefully by next weekend ill have it going since i got a week off. Ill add more pics soon now back to :icon_welder:

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Update

She runs. Got it all wired into the factory wires. Need to do the tach mod. Gutted the engine bay harness and got rid of every fuel injection wire and computer.

Having troubles with t cases and drivelines tho. I swapped the broken 208 for a 1356 and the rear is a flange and front is for a standard u joint. I need a double cardone(sp?) yoke for the front. And i think i can make the flange work with a lil time.

Heres the most recent To Do list:
Get 1 intake bolt 2.5"
Shorten rear d line to 58.5"
Swap front yoke to accept DC joint
Make front d line
Exhaust
Install radiator
Replace power steering pump
Add atf, water, p pump fluid
Air cleaner 3" spacer
Install electric fans
Wire alternator
Brake booster hose
Install B&M ratchet shifter

Ill add pics later today when im not tired

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well i been up for 36 hrs straight working on this thing and it finally paid off. Shes 2 wheel drive for the moment but shes a driver now. Built a 2 into 1 exhaust exiting the pass fender into a 3" muffler inside rock sliders. Some mild tuning and she will be good.

Now its time for bed...

Sitting next to my buddys freshly fixed up 2wd

Drive flange redrilled for ranger yoke

My baby oil filter that flows the same as a ph8a

Picked up a B&M mega shifter from a buddy

Got a couple front drivelines for when i get the right yoke

Updated list of to do's:

bigger elec. fan
cowl hood to allow heat to escape
Still need an intake bolt
f350 yoke for front of t case
make front d shaft
rebuild carb
replace power steering pump
make t case shifters
delete colum shifter and cables

i think thats all for now

Last edited:

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh and i forgot my license plate fits the ranger better now too.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Carnage!

Toasted the rear driveline and debeaded my bogger. Rear driveline had suffered damage before when it was in my 78 so i think thats why the ears tore. And i was attemping a sloppy hill climb out of a mud hole that my buddy on 44's and a BBF could barely make. Going forward i kept stalling out so i did it backwards. Got up it but coming down debeaded tire and blew d line.

Did all the snow in front wheel drive only had to get a pull twice cause of ice. I have to say that that dana 44 sure surprises me with the 38.5's on it and throwing all the power of the 351 at it.

Time to build a new shaft and get some beadlock rings

Last edited:

BAMFranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
truck looks pretty good anything new to it latley.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey. I know your build thread kinda died but I was wondering if I could bother you for a couple snap shots of your front setup. About to start on the front end of my sas and I could use a visual aide. I could really use a close up of your front mount, axle shim setup, and rear mount. I'm not gonna steal your idea, just trying to compare your setup to mine. And if you have a poser shot, that would be awesome so that I can get an idea of how my f250 leafs will flex. Thanks in advance

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey. I know your build thread kinda died but I was wondering if I could bother you for a couple snap shots of your front setup. About to start on the front end of my sas and I could use a visual aide. I could really use a close up of your front mount, axle shim setup, and rear mount. I'm not gonna steal your idea, just trying to compare your setup to mine. And if you have a poser shot, that would be awesome so that I can get an idea of how my f250 leafs will flex. Thanks in advance
Hmm i swore i sent them to you on Pirate but i guess maybe my crappy internet didnt let them go through. Ill dust the ol girl off tomorrow after work and get you some pictures ill put on here. And ill see if i can get a poser shot in the back yard. I broke my front driveline a few months back but i bet i can get it to flex.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals