• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 94 Ranger Recovery

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have you thought about using Explorer leaves up front???

I would say you could make a bastard pack with Ranger leaves as well since they have the same offset center pin....

they are what I used to move my axle forward, and by no means do I have any steering issues...other than needing Hydro-Assist.....

also was able to keep a fairly nice approach angle with those leaves....

as for flex....you be the judge...

l8r, John

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hmm i swore i sent them to you on Pirate but i guess maybe my crappy internet didnt let them go through. Ill dust the ol girl off tomorrow after work and get you some pictures ill put on here. And ill see if i can get a poser shot in the back yard. I broke my front driveline a few months back but i bet i can get it to flex.
ya i never got those pictures. i didnt wanna keep bothering you about it. but now im about to start on the front end so i could definately use them now

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
have you thought about using Explorer leaves up front???

I would say you could make a bastard pack with Ranger leaves as well since they have the same offset center pin....

they are what I used to move my axle forward, and by no means do I have any steering issues...other than needing Hydro-Assist.....

also was able to keep a fairly nice approach angle with those leaves....

as for flex....you be the judge...
i was all up for using ranger/explorer leafs after seeing your build, until i tried to fit it to my application. You have a shackle forward setup. with me having shackle in the rear, the center pin was too far back and put my axle further rearward than stock. unless i extend the front of my frame another 5" and that seemed alot more difficult than just finding another option

railman

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
originally planned to have shackle rear too...but raised the truck up higher than I liked, almost an extra 3 1/2"....so went ahead with the shackle forward and have had no issues really so far....

yes, I have contacted the shackle a few times on obsticles.....but I have eased forward to see if this was going to happen....better than just "ramming" into them....

as for the the spring center pin...I went with the shorter side forward giving me the axle location forward of original....

sorry I didn't reply sooner....but was wheeling all weekend:icon_thumby:

l8r, John

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm must be nice. I'm going crazy not being able to wheel.

Even though some may be against it, I prefer the taller stance. I'd rather not cut my fenders since the body doesn't have a single dent on it. I was gonna go with 6" Chevy leafs so clearly I'm not going for low center of gravity lol. I don't think I'm extreme enough to risk rolling my rig

railman

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm must be nice. I'm going crazy not being able to wheel.

Even though some may be against it, I prefer the taller stance. I'd rather not cut my fenders since the body doesn't have a single dent on it. I was gonna go with 6" Chevy leafs so clearly I'm not going for low center of gravity lol. I don't think I'm extreme enough to risk rolling my rig
you can use Chevy's with a lower stance...if you use a shackle flip...which some do for the extra droop that can be found with that set-up...

but, in this pic you get a sense why I really need the lower COG...

l8r, John

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Ugh sorry between work and no internet heres the pics.

I need to cut the shackle mounts off and build a bushing that will sit the shackle closer to the frame, as well as make much shorter shackles. I use to run the middle hole but on the sand hammering down through some whoops would lock my shackles flat.

As for flex, the springs flex really well but if your not running lift springs, yours should flex more. Heres a link to a pic on my FB, i yet to get it on my photobucket. Ill have to look around for the other side of that pic.

Facebook

Hope it helps.
Taylor

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Cool. Thanks for the pic. Now I got a general idea of where my rear mount would be.

What did you mean by your shackle lock in place?

I'm no expert, but I think your shackle angle may be way too tall. If you move your mount forward an inch, it'll give you better angle, softer ride, more droop, and better caster. Won't it?

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I was running my springs in the middle hole in the shackles and my angle looked like \ but as i would romp on it and the springs would flatten over some whoop roads, the springs would get longer and the shackles would lock like ___

I need to move my frame mount about an inch back and then i can make shorter shackles.

In this pic you can see how my shackle was before and how it could easily invert and lock

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
But wouldn't moving your mount forward allow you to keep the same angle while using the longer shackle, providing more downtravel and also stopping the leaf from inverting?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals