• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 94 Ranger Recovery

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So here it goes old man had this in his back 40. Been sitting since '06 he was orig. owner so when i got it, it had 119,000 miles not bad. has a dent in driverside rear cab and bed but its fixable. So i towed her home and popped the hood found a 4.0 auto 1354 with new 4yrs ago plugs wire oil filter everything. Seems he thought a headgasket went out. Had to remove carpet due to mold and grass. Then me and my dad Powerwashed her, paint seems good need to polish it out tho. ran her found out water leak was bad freeze plug replaced it and 300miles later shes still runnin strong. Installed a 3" BL and made new bumper brackets and sectioned the rear hitch 3"s to raise it up. Also put my stock premo explorer 16" wheels with 32s on it and ditched the 29s. So all im into doing now is installing new coils in front to remove sag and add some lift and gonna try to find some 33 - 35s to put on the old 15's. Oh last i built my own front receiver so i can snag my winch off my 78 f350 if i need it. Grand total in this rig is 500 bucks 300 for ranger 200 for registration tags plates and etc.

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
Some people just have all the luck... nice truck man. Best wishes with it.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks ya now i will just have to see how these coils will fit. Dunno what they are off of but we had tried them on my buddys cherokee gave good lift. After they are on i have a pair of fairly new bilstein shocks for the front only will fit when its lifted. SO my question is this, will the drop down brackets for the centers of the ttb be the same as the drop down brackets of a full size bronco? if so my buddy has a set for me to copy

Man do i need to wash my bike lol

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Starter whoes

So far loved my lil steal of a deal ranger but as we all find out 4.0 auto starters are expensive like 140!! Thankfully a local parts store thinks i work at an ol company so got one for 64 thank god. So far she is on a 3" bl 1" coil spacer and runnin my buddys 33 bogs to see how i like the size. They drive great rub a hair at full turn full stuff, have the power to light both on dry pave and cruise 80 down the hwy. Lookin like im gonna find me some 33 tsls or some 285 75's m/t. Before i got new starter i did a lil lookin and found out that a couple of magnets where broken not sure how so it stranded me ass ended in a puddle sunday night lol anyways enjoy. Looks like the misses wants her exploder to sit higher than mine now lol

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Great now i need a motor thanks to fords brainfart filter box location. Hydrolocked the motor Wont budge.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well even tho it dont have a power plant im gonna keep on fixin her up. Removed carpet due to alot of mold moss and crap and decided to clean the floor and bed line the floorpan. I am goin to put carpet back in seein as the flowmaster is a lil loud but not as bad as my big truck. Removed the seats and stripped the covers off to get drycleaned and im stuck between leavin em alone or removing the lil seat attached to the drivers seat. Either way i am gonna keep the center consol. Removed the fender flares cause the rears where a lil beatup cleaned and painted black, thinkin of gettin some screws with black caps to give a fake bushwacker look. Installing switches for driving light and reverse lights nice there is a factory harness in there i just got to tap into. Anyways this is my lil update seein as i am not workin due to physical therapy on my arm im gonna try and get alot done

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so me having tendonitis aint gonna stop me from fixin my ranger sure it may hurt, alot, but i got good friends that i have helped out numerous times nows my turn. Sold the tires and wheels that came with it for 120 and sold a ridin mower i got for free for 150 grand total of 270. Got a buddy at B&R got me a motor for 275 plus 50 core. Thinkin i can sell the heads and whatever else to make back core and more. Gonna prob keep injectors for spares. Came with a good tps so anyone need anything lol?

Appears the only diff between egr is the drivers side exhaust manifold and the intake plenum? Is that correct? I took mine off and it fit perfectly on new motor so i believe it was really that easy.

So if thats it i will have old motor out tomorrow and new one in by weekend. Heres a couple pics, I hat when threads are all typing lol

New engine with my non egr plenum

Old motor u may be able to make out the water in the rear 2 intake holes. That was alot of water in this engine

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Motors In! updates later on tonight just gotta get a plenum gasket and hook some misc connectors up.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Got motor all bolted in everything good to go beside i lost the plug for the cam sensor and have had no luck finding where the 3 pin plug is. Anyone have any pics of location????

i was told it was one same wiring harness the pass side 02 sensor is on but its just not there i feel so so dumb please any help would be awesome

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Sofar i been talkin to alot of people and some say i need a cam position sensor some say i dont. Im assuming i do not seeing as ive pulled the harness off twice and no plug to be found. Got spark problems now when cranking i get no spark but as soon as i stop cranking i get spark.

Any ideas??????????????????

Slingblade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here you go. I had a 94 harness sitting around and a sensor.
FYI 94 was the first year of the cam sensor on these engines

Chris

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so much Slingblade ya i recently just found that out about the first year. Correct me if im wrong but i heard the cam position sensor was in both egr and non egr models and on non egr like mine they are just filling a hole and do not have a plug.

Ive made a lil progress so far, when i crank the motor over either via the key or jumping solenoid, i get no spark. As soon as i stop jumping the solenoid i get spark as its still spinning. Found that the 4 wires goin to coil all have 12v with key on and when cranking all 4 still have power but 11v

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Turns out my cps wires where crossed hence causing the intermitent spark. Had a shop find that out for me after alot of head scratchin. When me and my buddys pulled the motor the cps plug broke, so we wired a new one on and put the 2 wires backwards. Oh well im happy she runs now. Now time for sliders and headache rack. Finally got me some new meats some 33 12.5s came on a set of 15x10 chrome wheels i got from a buddy. a lil bald but will work great on the sand for good float. Got some 285 75 16 dean sxts on the road tires now.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since I've updated. Finally made some sliders and a headache rack with bed rail tie downs seein as I use this for my dd work rig. Did the F150 coils with 3 degree bushings sits nicely. Also swapped my body lift out for a beefyer one that's 3 5/8" tall. Just need to made 2 inch taller rear shackles to level her off. Well here's a pic till I get home and get on the computer. Sporting 33 12.5s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals