• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to mount my cb antenna?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could modify your 2M radio to get on the MURS CB band and reap some of the same benefits as 2M that way, but without the license & regulation stuff, though I don't know if that'd be any more legal than running a big fat amp on the 27MHz CB band... :dunno: I rarely hear of people getting caught doing either one, though it doesn't make it anymore legal.
you can get HF ham radios, and you are governed by the HAM laws, not CB laws on those frequencies, as long as you have your HAM license... in canada apparently you can transmit with up to 5000W legally, but no one does... IIRC of course...

as for the firestick, they are great antennas, though you REALLY want to get a spring mount, so that you don't have to worry about hitting low hanging trees, as the antenna is ridgid! i've bent the crap out of the mount several times with trees and garage doors... a spring mount would let the antenna bend out of the way in those cases, instead of breaking your mount or antenna...

i would ALSO recommend mounting it with a quick release, makes for removing it much easier... these are 2 components i will be buying when i have a) the time and b) the money

Rolled Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
86MUDRCJ, did you get it mounted up yet? Where did you put it? I just put one on mine today. I mounted it on the left side of the cowl, oposite the radio antenna. Next weekend I will get a spring for it so I dont rip a huge hole in the cowl.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
86MUDRCJ, did you get it mounted up yet? Where did you put it? I just put one on mine today. I mounted it on the left side of the cowl, oposite the radio antenna. Next weekend I will get a spring for it so I dont rip a huge hole in the cowl.
I have not mounted it yes as to I think i might go another way with my antenna choice but the cb unit, and pa are in!lol

DangerRangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yea I had a 102 inch whip before. It looked pretty good but I've always liked the way antennas look when mounted on a toolbox. And needless to say, its hard to match a steel whip, so gotta go with 2 little ones lol.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I had a 102 inch whip before. It looked pretty good but I've always liked the way antennas look when mounted on a toolbox. And needless to say, its hard to match a steel whip, so gotta go with 2 little ones lol.
I hear ya but i dont know wht im goin to do. I might mock up different places and see what i like best.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't do dual antennas... our trucks are not big enough for them, each antenna will cause interference with the opposite one...

if you've ever noticed, semi trucks with dual antennas have them mounted on the outside of the mirrors, because that's about the minimum distance needed to not have major interference...

the only way to do it on our trucks without major issues is to put one on the front, and one on the back, preferably opposite corners

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dual antennas are just useless usually...
like weezl said, they interfere w/ each other. i work part time at a semi body shop; more and more truckers are getting away from dual antennas and just using one GOOD antenna.

its just so much simpler. and a lot of us are just using the cb for a trail radio anyways-- you don't need that much stuff for it.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cb radios are actually illegal while driving, where i live now, unless being used for commercial purposes (which is technically illegal under a different law)

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright thanks guys. I have been lookin a a wilson 500 nag nount and i thing i might drop the cash on one of those.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you like your body/paint, don't get a nag nount... i have heard of more than a few times the nag letting go, while driving down the highway, and the amtemma swinging back and forth on the door while you're frantically trying to stop to grab it, and while it's doing this, it takes all the paint off...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
if you get a good triple base mount, you can knock the crap out of it and it won't move... but any single mag mount will move, and can scratch paint and crap.. and you don't get as good of a connection and crap if you do a perm mount.

DangerRangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I peraonally havent noticed any interference running 2 antennas. Mainly though I just.like the style of it. Plus my radio is putting out pr.etty good so why not have 2

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well paint is the getting redone.but if i put the antenna on the roof I don't want it to move at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals