• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to mount my cb antenna?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mount it where ever, it doesn't make a HUGE difference... what are you planning on using it for?

tuning is HUGE though!

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I plan on using it for trail use, but I also will be using it for stuff like when i go with my buddies to move farm equipment and stuff.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where i have mine mounted, limits my range infront of my truck, the range behind is somewhere around 1.5x farther... same with off the left side, it's much farther than the right... but in general, i can still get 3.7km roughly, through forest and houses... (don't feel like doing math, divide by 1.6)

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where i have mine mounted, limits my range infront of my truck, the range behind is somewhere around 1.5x farther... same with off the left side, it's much farther than the right... but in general, i can still get 3.7km roughly, through forest and houses... (don't feel like doing math, divide by 1.6)
I could deal with that.lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah for just a trail rig.. mount it where ever you won't rip it off... then tune it properly

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sound good. Ill probly pay someone to do it cuz I have no idea what I'm doing.lol

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go find a shop where the owner knows his shit, buy the stuff you need an ask him to show you how to tune it.... It's not hard!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Can you take a couple pics of your setup? I am completely new to the whole CB thing.
Best pic I got of the ant & mount at the moment...

(cable runs within the BII's roof channels under the factory roof rack and then inside at the rear hatch)

There's not much to it though... just screw the antenna to the mount and plop it down on the roof wherever you see fit. Then run your cable inside through a window or underneath through a grommet in your Ranger's floorboard, check your antenna SWR and you'll be set.
There's a quad-magnet version of this same mount available too, though I don't think you'd need that unless you want to run a full-length (96-102") whip on it to trim some trees lol.

but the test is super easy. i passed it at the age of like 13. i think i'm getting a lot of the local jeep guys to switch over after seeing my 2meter set up.. and how nice and quiet and the range you can get.. and you can legally run more than 4 watts :icon_rofl:
True, especially since they eliminated the code tests a number of years ago, though it's still something that takes time to do and some just would rather go buy something and hook it all up (plus all the regulatory crap is a turnoff for some too).

Could modify your 2M radio to get on the MURS CB band and reap some of the same benefits as 2M that way, but without the license & regulation stuff, though I don't know if that'd be any more legal than running a big fat amp on the 27MHz CB band... :dunno: I rarely hear of people getting caught doing either one, though it doesn't make it anymore legal.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i know... we had some special amps for cb back when we were on cb.. acutally i still have them. some tube type MACO amps. modified... pushing some major wattage.
between us in walls and my brother on the other side of southaven, we could dead key anyone that tried to take over the channel, or wanted to start crap... or was cussing a lot or something.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best pic I got of the ant & mount at the moment...

(cable runs within the BII's roof channels under the factory roof rack and then inside at the rear hatch)

There's not much to it though... just screw the antenna to the mount and plop it down on the roof wherever you see fit. Then run your cable inside through a window or underneath through a grommet in your Ranger's floorboard, check your antenna SWR and you'll be set.
There's a quad-magnet version of this same mount available too, though I don't think you'd need that unless you want to run a full-length (96-102") whip on it to trim some trees lol.

True, especially since they eliminated the code tests a number of years ago, though it's still something that takes time to do and some just would rather go buy something and hook it all up (plus all the regulatory crap is a turnoff for some too).

Could modify your 2M radio to get on the MURS CB band and reap some of the same benefits as 2M that way, but without the license & regulation stuff, though I don't know if that'd be any more legal than running a big fat amp on the 27MHz CB band... :dunno: I rarely hear of people getting caught doing either one, though it doesn't make it anymore legal.
Ive thought of running one of those.lol My friends think it looks like a rc toy and it would really complete that look. PLus wouldnt it imoprove range?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
As said earlier, the roof is about the best place to put your antenna. You'll have the best range with it there for sure.

Edit:
Maybe you were asking about the full-length whip? A full-length whip will definitely work better than any shortened-length antenna. Though like I said, you'll be trimming trees and gas station overhangs with it lol (I've knocked bulbs out of the fluorescent fixtures at gas stations twice with the whip on my Ranger. I've been told they're supposed to have them covered, though I don't know if that's actually a law or not).

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As said earlier, the roof is about the best place to put your antenna. You'll have the best range with it there for sure.

Edit:
Maybe you were asking about the full-length whip? A full-length whip will definitely work better than any shortened-length antenna. Though like I said, you'll be trimming trees and gas station overhangs with it lol (I've knocked bulbs out of the fluorescent fixtures at gas stations twice with the whip on my Ranger. I've been told they're supposed to have them covered, though I don't know if that's actually a law or not).
Well if they aint covered it there problem.lol but yeah i want to run a whip on mine or maybe dual whips, but for now i was goin to use the firestick:annoyed:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
firestik is a great trail antenna

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals