• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to mount my cb antenna?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I use a triple-magnet mount on the roof of mine with a 5' fiberglass whip (Francis Hot-Rod). It's just as good as a hard-mount AFAIC, SWR is perfect and I don't get any interference on anything inside (stereo, etc.).

As for 2M vs. CB... I guess it depends on what you're trying to do with it. There are some situations where the CB band works better (the longer wavelength of 11M travels around hills and other obstructions better, though it's also a bit more susceptible to interference too). 2M does give you the option of using repeaters, however 2M also requires a license, which many people are not willing to jump through the hoops required to get one (especially if it's just for trail communication).

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use a triple-magnet mount on the roof of mine with a 5' fiberglass whip (Francis Hot-Rod). It's just as good as a hard-mount AFAIC, SWR is perfect and I don't get any interference on anything inside (stereo, etc.).

As for 2M vs. CB... I guess it depends on what you're trying to do with it. There are some situations where the CB band works better (the longer wavelength of 11M travels around hills and other obstructions better, though it's also a bit more susceptible to interference too). 2M does give you the option of using repeaters, however 2M also requires a license, which many people are not willing to jump through the hoops required to get one (especially if it's just for trail communication).
Can you take a couple pics of your setup? I am completely new to the whole CB thing.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but the test is super easy. i passed it at the age of like 13. i think i'm getting a lot of the local jeep guys to switch over after seeing my 2meter set up.. and how nice and quiet and the range you can get.. and you can legally run more than 4 watts :icon_rofl:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm currently looking at the yaesu ft-2900, it's pretty powerful, 3 watt.... internal speaker, yeah that's right, the speaker gets almost the same as the transmiter on a cb... 75w transmit power

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but the test is super easy. i passed it at the age of like 13. i think i'm getting a lot of the local jeep guys to switch over after seeing my 2meter set up.. and how nice and quiet and the range you can get.. and you can legally run more than 4 watts :icon_rofl:
Huh?:icon_confused:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2m is a frequency band, it's named 2 meter, because the wavelength is 2 meters long, iirc

cb is another band, UHF is another (though it's also a frequency range)

if i remember right,
HF (high frequency) is 3-30mhz
vhf (very high frequency) is 30-300mhz
uhf (ultra high frequency) is 300-3000mhz

then the bands fall within those ranges... uhf band is roughly 400-470mhz vhf is 136-174 and cb is in the 26.965-27.405mhz

each of the bands and ranges and frequencies have benifets and drawbacks, there are also differences in transmit style, you can use FM, AM... ect...

lots to explain if you want to know...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
basically its like cb.. but controlled by the FCC (like CB used to be)

you have to have a license to talk on it. take a simple 35 questions (i think) test.. your license is good for 10 years. its a lot like cb, yet a lot different. main thing is you have to have a license. but i think its better b/c you don't have the bleed over from other channels-- you're not legally limited at 4 watts. (now i know that a lot of people have more than 4 watts, i know we used to when we did cb).. you get a lot better distance on 2 meter than cb, probably b/c of the 60 watts my 2 meter ham pushes.

my dad switched to ham radio when me and my bro were younger and didn't wanna deal w/ all that cussing and stuff on the radio. ham is pretty clean.

the best thing you can do is find someone that has it and can show you... i've showed the jeep guys and they like it so far.

just for a trail radio-- cb is fine, and most people use cb's for trail rigs- which is why i added a cb to my b2.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I've only worked with HF, fm, and tacsat/satcom systems.
I think fm is the easiest to work with troubleshoot.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Can't you get a power amp for cb to boost output power? Idk, just asking cause I don't deal with cb.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in canada, radio communication laws are very similar to the american laws, we don't have the FCC, we have IC (industry canada) which is more or less the same thing, our HAM licences (ameture radio operator's license in canada) are good for life you also have to transmit your callsign once every 15 minutes while using the radio (i think it's 15 minutes)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Can't you get a power amp for cb to boost output power? Idk, just asking cause I don't deal with cb.
you can.. yet the LEGAL limit is 4 watts.

but yeah. the callsign thing is the same thing. every 15 mins and when you logout.. i think. idk.. i talk on it all the time, yet don't remember most of this stuff lol

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya I've only worked with HF, fm, and tacsat/satcom systems.
I think fm is the easiest to work with troubleshoot.
fm isn't a band, it's more of a language, it's frequency modulation, vs amplitude modulation (am) typically hf use is CB, but you can get other hf radios and hf ham radios

yes, you can, however it's illegal, it IS possible to setup a higher powered CB repeater, but it is very difficult to get a license in the states, so no one uses them, not to mention you would need to re-program all of the radios that would use that repeater...

i HAVE seen cb-fm radio cross band repeaters, which picks up the cb on what ever channel, and re-broadcasts it at 91.5mhz or what ever you set it to, but that's the closest to a CB repeater i've ever seen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals