• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When is it time to call it quits?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Amen to that my friend ! And you are right and I'm keeping it and will just take my time on it till it's done. And as far as body work goes - my brother has a friend that lives in meridan and if he does body work and your interested I'll see about you two getting togeather to work on it so just let me know ? And as far as the 2.8 parts go that I have - you can have them for free and all I would need is an address to send them to so let me know on that too if your interested? L8ter Bud !
My problem is lack of money, lack of tools, and I live in Emmett and can't afford to leave town so probably wouldn't work but I appreciate the offer.

Parts would be nice LOL, but same issue there lack of funds for shipping. Having a hard time right now not knowing how my hours at work go week to week so I can't plan a head for anything. :annoyed: Plus I have 1 day off a week and unfortunately its Sunday so everything I need is always closed, or closes before I could get there grrr... LOL. Some day I'll figure things out and be able to do this restore at least somewhat, even if I have to paint the whole thing primer gray LOL.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Never give up, never surrender!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Not exactly giving up but may just have to sell my Bronco 2 just for the fact that I'm not able to get the stuff done that it needs to have done to it. The only reason I was able to have the head gaskets done was because of a kid in the high school auto shop, and I already had the gaskets.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Not exactly giving up but may just have to sell my Bronco 2 just for the fact that I'm not able to get the stuff done that it needs to have done to it. The only reason I was able to have the head gaskets done was because of a kid in the high school auto shop, and I already had the gaskets.
Lol I had to say it, throw in some inspiration, I understand when you can't get stuff done, way it was trying to bring back my 88 F-150, if you can't sell it as a whole, you should try and part it out at the least.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Lol I had to say it, throw in some inspiration, I understand when you can't get stuff done, way it was trying to bring back my 88 F-150, if you can't sell it as a whole, you should try and part it out at the least.
Problem with parting stuff out is I don't have the equipment to do so. I have basic hand tools that's it. Anything that I need done has to be done at a shop due to my limited tools, and unless the weather is nice and sunny then working on something in the rain and snow doesn't work out well. It runs and drives just looks like crap and leaks oil all over because of the rear main seal. A shop quoted me $800 just to do the rear main seal, that's complete BS since they have all the nice equipment and all the tools.

It sucks I want to keep it, but at the same time it bothers me looking at it knowing what it needs and not being able to fix it. I've put quite a bit of time and money into it though to let it go now. How bad would it be to park it and let it set for several years given its already rusted pretty good on the passenger side.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Problem with parting stuff out is I don't have the equipment to do so. I have basic hand tools that's it. Anything that I need done has to be done at a shop due to my limited tools, and unless the weather is nice and sunny then working on something in the rain and snow doesn't work out well. It runs and drives just looks like crap and leaks oil all over because of the rear main seal. A shop quoted me $800 just to do the rear main seal, that's complete BS since they have all the nice equipment and all the tools.

It sucks I want to keep it, but at the same time it bothers me looking at it knowing what it needs and not being able to fix it. I've put quite a bit of time and money into it though to let it go now. How bad would it be to park it and let it set for several years given its already rusted pretty good on the passenger side.
Letting is sit is the worst possible thing to do, people let their cars sit and rot away when maybe someone else would love to have it... Well, I guess you can try and sell it, people out there that don't care about looks, they just want it to get to point a and b. And would take the time to fix it up and get it running well at the least. Then again, you can just rip it apart and make the most epic off road vehicle ever. Like I would love to make it awesome, I have all the tools, space and equipment you could ever imagine, but the main enemy is time, I'm already working on 2 classic cars and despite there simplicity they take up a lot of my time, and are a lot of work.

Last edited:

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time with your rig wildbill - If I had a vehical I would come and help you work on it as I have alot of tools and time lol :) , But I'm not that luck in life and it took me all day today just to get the drivers side radius arm bracket off lol! But one of the other members is supposed to come over this weekend to help work on it and whatnot so we will see how things go? And as far as the parts go that I have I will ship them to you at my cost so it would not cost you anything , And I just beleave in giving foward to others and thats why I give stuff away on here for free - it's just who I am. Well ttyl bro !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I'm kind of at a loss right now due to I only have one day off a week from work, so I am afraid to tear into anything as I don't want to start doing something and forget what step came next when I left off. I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town. If anyone has any instructions on this, I have a manual transmission BTW, I would appreciate it. I got a floor jack to make this a bit easier LOL. However, I don't want to tackle this for the first time and screw something up. What all do I really need to remove, and what can I get by without removing basically is what I need to know for sure.

Parts don't do me any good when I can't really drive it reliably enough to make it worth while LOL.

I'll PM you my address, but I don't really want to have someone paying my way, I've never been that way, I've always been the person to help people so I don't really expect anything from anyone period, just some advice on how to easily do this seal replacement.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town.
You can always use sticky notes.. :icon_twisted:

It just reminded me on my motorcycle, it had an oil leak due to a seal, so I stuck duct tape on it and put in thicker oil. LOL :icon_rofl:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You can always use sticky notes.. :icon_twisted:

It just reminded me on my motorcycle, it had an oil leak due to a seal, so I stuck duct tape on it and put in thicker oil. LOL :icon_rofl:
HAHA, I bet that seal was a whole lot easier to get to than the rear main in the 2.8L V6. I'm wondering really if it would be easier to pull the engine out than pull the transmission and everything, or does it really make a difference?

Actually I was thinking about a sharpie marker, and drawing arrows, circles etc. saying start here idiot LOL.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
HAHA, I bet that seal was a whole lot easier to get to than the rear main in the 2.8L V6. I'm wondering really if it would be easier to pull the engine out than pull the transmission and everything, or does it really make a difference?
Maybe lifting the body off? You could get to everything easily if you did that..

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Maybe lifting the body off? You could get to everything easily if you did that..
HAHA!!!, engineers design stuff they way they do because they aren't the ones that have to work on the stuff they think up. If they did have to work on it, they'd come up with a lot better designs for sure. They need like quick disconnects on everything that would make an engine or transmission replacement like a 5 minute task LOL.

Oh well at least I have a vehicle to drive while the bronco 2 is undergoing surgery.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm kind of at a loss right now due to I only have one day off a week from work, so I am afraid to tear into anything as I don't want to start doing something and forget what step came next when I left off. I need to change out the rear main seal, as its losing a lot of oil back there every day about a half a quart a day just around town. If anyone has any instructions on this, I have a manual transmission BTW, I would appreciate it. I got a floor jack to make this a bit easier LOL. However, I don't want to tackle this for the first time and screw something up. What all do I really need to remove, and what can I get by without removing basically is what I need to know for sure.

Parts don't do me any good when I can't really drive it reliably enough to make it worth while LOL.

I'll PM you my address, but I don't really want to have someone paying my way, I've never been that way, I've always been the person to help people so I don't really expect anything from anyone period, just some advice on how to easily do this seal replacement.

might be info in here that will help

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139198&page=2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
That link makes the job sound more difficult than it really looks. My biggest thing is if I disconnect the clutch assembly to get the transmission out of the way, would I have to bleed the clutch hydraulics again when I get it all back together? If not I think I'm good, the clutch hydraulic bleeding sounded to be a big pain in the a**. Looks like it is going to just be very time consuming to do to get that seal changed, but at $4 a quart every 2 days that's quite a bit of money in oil every month.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well for now all I can say is that my father told me, "If you work hard and do it right, you'll end up with something great."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals