• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When is it time to call it quits?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No scrapping allowed - these things are just too perfect...at least to me.

Everytime I see one, I think man what a perfect vehicle...even the ugly ones.

I bought a hitch off a guy who scrapped his for @ $300...he could have made that in parts in a hurry. He said he didn't know.

Take a look at the pics of some of the great ones out there and stay the course. :icon_thumby:
I called a scrap yard on my B2 and they told me they would give me $150. I laughed at the guy and said I will sell you the wheels for $150. He hung up on me...imagine that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
What kind of mileage do people get out of the swap normally, would it be worth it for fuel economy to swap from the 2.8L to a 302? Or would I be worse for fuel economy doing so? I'm about at the point where the constant problems with engine work are annoying me to where I about want to rip out the engine and put something else in.
turbo 4 cyl.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
turbo 4 cyl.
Only if its a diesel LOL. If I had the money I'd seriously think about doing that 4BT swap, sounds like a pretty good diesel option. Problem is my pocket book says not only no but hell no you aren't LOL. Someday maybe, if the B2 stays around that long, the issues I keep having is edging it closer and closer to the junk pile.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What kind of mileage do people get out of the swap normally, would it be worth it for fuel economy to swap from the 2.8L to a 302? Or would I be worse for fuel economy doing so? I'm about at the point where the constant problems with engine work are annoying me to where I about want to rip out the engine and put something else in.
Swapping a V8 in is not going to cure your issues, in fact, you will likely have a lot of bugs to work out, especially right after you get it on the road.

Anyway, I get 11-12. That is with 4.10's and 35" tires. It's fun to drive and I drive it as such. A truck that is close to factory configuration would certainly do much better than mine.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Swapping a V8 in is not going to cure your issues, in fact, you will likely have a lot of bugs to work out, especially right after you get it on the road.

Anyway, I get 11-12. That is with 4.10's and 35" tires. It's fun to drive and I drive it as such. A truck that is close to factory configuration would certainly do much better than mine.
Kind of figured as much. I think I'll stick with my 2.8L, and get the wiring crap all fixed in it, and eventually get a carburetor for it so I can start driving it again, as I've got a fuel leak on the bottom of the front of the carburetor and one where the accelerator pump is as well so I try not to drive it unless I just have to now. Will be taking out the starter this week and adding shims as its making an awful grinding noise since having it replaced last week.

On my last tank of fuel running around town my calculations came out to about 17mpg which I don't find too bad for this engine for around town. Can't wait to get it running and reliable enough to run on the highway so I can see what kind of highway mileage it will get.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
To wild horse. I live in Kent and currently learning and working on my rig. First vehicle I've ever worked on so its been fun. I dont mind lending a hand to help if you need some. Let me know and ill see what i can do.

So far ive done a lift, 8.8 swap, and 4.0 swap. Some bugs still to work out with the 4.0 but it works. Just dont have tach or temp gauge. Next will be d35 when I can afford it. Still need to do my pitman arm

Anyway, pm me if interested.

Badeddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am on my sixth and LAST Bronco II. And I say last because nearly every one I've ever had I would let people around me convince me it wasn't worth fixing up and my dumb ass would sell it. NO MORE! I had an 85 that was a PITA rustbucket that I gladly got rid of bbut the rest were sweet but because they weren't perfect I was talked into selling them. My current one is an 87 Eddie Bauer. Green with tan interior. Sure it needs some work.trucks 27 yrs old. Needs a little bodywork and paint. Interiors in real nice shape. Engine smokes sometimes but not excessively. I drive it daily and he runs GREAT. So it boils down to this. If you are happy with it. Baby it. Improve it when you can and KEEP IT. NOT MANY LEFT OF US ON THE ROAD. WE TURN HEADS!

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Amen to that ! Well I finaly got the front diff dropped and am in the process of cleaning it up and painting and rebuilding it , But I found a pair of dana28 and 7.5 lockers for $100 each and wounder if I should get them? Or for $500 I can get a compleatly rebuilt front diff so which is a better idea?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Once you start tearing things a part, you will start finding crap you didn't know was wrong. If there's nothing wrong with the axles themselves why swap them? Unless you plan on modifying the vehicle heavily for offroad use you DO NOT need lockers period, they just add to the growing number of things that will lead to other things getting broke and more money to repair. Just use common sense when you are offroad on trails, don't drive through crap that you shouldn't be in in the first place. I used to take my 84 ford ranger 4x2 hunting on some pretty nasty roads and was often laughed at, but asked how the hell did you get here by guys in modified 4x4's.

If I were you I'd keep it as is, don't be doing all of the lift kits, engine swaps, axle swaps etc. that everyone on here tries to shove at everyone. These older trucks are getting harder and harder to find, and are more often looked at if they're stock rather than modified.

My 84 Bronco 2 has tons of issues, but I think I may be getting close to the end of the major mechanical stuff, now more or less onto the body rust issues if I only knew how to do metal work as all the shops around are telling me its not worth fixing which just makes me sad when they say crap like that. I think that if its repaired the right way you wouldn't be able to tell, and at 30 years old, things are going to go wrong no matter what you do. If I had the money to restore my bronco 2 I would leave it completely stock, and stock colors as well.

Just take your time, and do repairs over time, don't try to jump into it all at once because it will quickly get you going in so many different directions that things will get screwed up, you'll get frustrated and do something stupid like sell it. (Kind of like what happened with my 84 Ford Ranger 4x2. I got frustrated with the engine problems I sold it for $700, guy who bought it replaced the TFI module and well as far as I know is still driving it. Like I said take your time, plan everything out before jumping in. Once you get it done you will look back and realize what all you accomplished and will have a great vehicle to show off to everyone.

So a couple days ago I installed a different carburetor on my B2, got it somewhat adjusted and drove it to work, it ran like crap the whole way LOL, got home after work and did more adjusting and its running much better. Now to get my oil leaks fixed, and find out WTF the knocking noise is under load. Can't be something engine related as I can sit in the driveway in neutral and rev the engine and there's no knocking, just from stop up to cruising speed. It went away for a while after doing a bunch of adjustments on the other carburetor but then it was idling way too high.

Anyhow, keep with the project, I was tossing around the idea of either scrapping the B2, or seeing about selling it somehow and finding a small car but either way I wouldn't get crap for it because of the body rust and interior being gutted. Don't give up, even if you have to let it set for a while then go back to it.

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks wildBill ! Well at this point my B2 is way past the stock stage with the amount of lift it has and the v-8 and all , And I'm building it as a muddbogger or mud truck and the guy said he would sell me the lockers and diff for $400 so I'm thinking about it , but I hear what you are saying about just leaving it stock but thats all it's really worth now because of how beat it is but thats why I'm looking for a stock one to just drive around but around here they are going for alot of money that I cant afford so We"ll see what happens and keep going on yours and dont give up on it as it will all come togeather soon !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thanks wildBill ! Well at this point my B2 is way past the stock stage with the amount of lift it has and the v-8 and all , And I'm building it as a muddbogger or mud truck and the guy said he would sell me the lockers and diff for $400 so I'm thinking about it , but I hear what you are saying about just leaving it stock but thats all it's really worth now because of how beat it is but thats why I'm looking for a stock one to just drive around but around here they are going for alot of money that I cant afford so We"ll see what happens and keep going on yours and dont give up on it as it will all come togeather soon !
Do you drive your B2 on the road or is it a 100% trail rig? If you don't drive it on the road the lockers would be ok, but if you drive it on the road you really wouldn't like them it makes driving in bad weather extremely unpredictable at times. I drove a military K-5 Blazer one winter and the Detroit lockers made ice/snow driving kind of dangerous at times due to when they locked they would cause you to go into a slide really easily.

I wouldn't mind having a dedicated offroad toy but my wallet keeps tell me hell no LOL.

Mine just needs a major engine oil leak issue fixed, not sure if its the rear main or just from the back of the oil pan, hard to find it in this tight mess of junk they crammed into this small space. I'm going to slowly work on it, right now it just kind of upsets me looking at it knowing that it needs a lot of body work and no way I can afford to have it done, and I have no clue how to do any of it :sad:. The interior can wait I haven't really decided on how I want it, I really don't want carpet in it but don't want the bear metal either. The headliner I have an idea what I want to do there, but don't want to tackle any interior stuff until I get the rust problems fixed. I got it running pretty good and plan on putting a manual choke on it here in the near future as the electric choke crap I've never cared for and has never worked right on either my 84 ranger or this 84 B2.

Post some pics of your B2 as you go.

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well when I got mine I drove it on and off road , But now that it's as big as it is I cant because the cops will harass me . But I will probly drive it on the road once in a great blue moon so it will be a trailer queen from now on and with the gas prices and the fact that it gets lets less then 5 m.p.g I just can't see driving it on the roads and I'm shure nobody around here would inshure it . And I'm glad to hear that your rig is running better and as far as body work goes I can't help you there as I dont have any experince eather and pannels are very expensive to say the least.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
If you don't have any plans on driving it on road, other than an extremely rare occasion I wouldn't hesitate putting lockers in it then. My fear with people doing so is they'll put the lockers in and then winter hits and they end up in a wreck due to the unpredictable results of them locking up sometimes. These Bronco 2's and even the older 80's rangers are getting harder to find, I just wish I had someone around where I live that knows about body work that would be willing to teach me how and what to do. My B2 runs, just won't stay running when the engine is cold because it doesn't have a choke right now, but it does run a lot better, I'm trying to pinpoint a rattling or knocking noise under acceleration and have been told its carbon build up causing it, so I guess my next action is going to be figuring out how to get rid of that LOL.

So back to the original question, when is it time to call it quits: Answer, on a classic vehicle NEVER!!!!!!!

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Amen to that my friend ! And you are right and I'm keeping it and will just take my time on it till it's done. And as far as body work goes - my brother has a friend that lives in meridan and if he does body work and your interested I'll see about you two getting togeather to work on it so just let me know ? And as far as the 2.8 parts go that I have - you can have them for free and all I would need is an address to send them to so let me know on that too if your interested? L8ter Bud !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals