• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

VSS problems

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ranger, 3.0, auto, 2WD. I bought the truck with no engine, Long story short is that the only engine I could get was out of a 1999 Ranger 3.0.

The truck is still using the 2002 transmission. the 1999 engine harness is missing the plug ins for the VSS near the tailshaft housing. therefore I'm getting no speedometer and the trans shifts funny.

What I'm trying to figure out is what two wires go the the VSS on the back of the trans? (what colors, and where do they come from?)
I've traced out one of the wires I think, through hours of research but I cant figure out anything else. There is a grey/black wire that I've found to be the VSS wire, I found that wire going to the GEM and traced it out to pin #58 on the PCM.

Even if someone with the same truck could take a look under their truck and tell me what color wires are going the the VSS on the back of the transmision it would be extremely helpfull!!

-thanks!

mecman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Abandon your other question did we ?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I take it they stripped the 2002 harness out with the engine?

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the 2002 engine harness is gone. I did find out that 1998 and newer Rangers, the speed sensor is run off of the differential ABS sensor. I have no idea what the little plug in(that I thought was the VSS) on the back of the trans is for (the trans is a 2002)

Does anyone have a schematic for the speed sensor circuit? I did trace the two wires coming from the ABS sensor all the way up to the PCM. I'm so frustrated with this thing, any help would be greatly appreciated!
-thanks

mecman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I posted this to you days ago .(Does anyone have a schematic for the speed sensor circuit )Well I have 2002 wiring diagrams for RANGER and if you tell me what you need I’ll try to send them to you. On the 5r55e trans I see two sensors. One in the front by the bell housing and one in the rear by the tail shaft both on the side of the trans case. Towards the top area drivers side on the same side as the big plug by the manual valve. THe frt One is overdrive drum speed sensor the other is ("I have no idea what the little plug in(that I thought was the VSS) on the back of the trans is for (the trans is a 2002))" try output shaft speed sensor!! . Are they the ones you are talking about? Are they the ones you need to wire in? Both are held in by a t30 torx bolt.

this is the speedometer operation
"Anti-Lock Brake Speed Sensor
The programmable speedometer/odometer module (PSOM) receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor. After processing the signal, the PSOM relays it to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the speed control module. Information from the PSOM is used to help determine shift scheduling, torque converter clutch operation and electronic pressure control
"I did find out that 1998 and newer Rangers, the speed sensor is run off of the differential ABS sensor." again is that not what i said? you have had this info for days so since I see you did not will not reply so you are not interested in my help I won't bother you any more so good luck ..

Last edited:

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man I'm sorry, I do remember seeing that you posted that, The notifications I get go to my phone and I mustve been right in the middle of something when I got it and forgot about it I suppose. Thanks for all the information, I read somewhere that the 2001 and newer Rangers, the speed is read off of the output shaft speed sensor. The information you gave me is extremely helpful and I really appreciate it! Do you have schematics for the O/D circuit and the output shaft speed sensor? Again, thanks a ton!!

mecman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pm me your email address and i'll send them to you and what part of the OD circuit do u have in mind?

ivrb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 exp
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 exp 5r55e tranny speedo fluctuations

would this be the same as the 2000 explorer? I have speedo fluctuations and abs light on the dash?

I posted this to you days ago .(Does anyone have a schematic for the speed sensor circuit )Well I have 2002 wiring diagrams for RANGER and if you tell me what you need I’ll try to send them to you. On the 5r55e trans I see two sensors. One in the front by the bell housing and one in the rear by the tail shaft both on the side of the trans case. Towards the top area drivers side on the same side as the big plug by the manual valve. THe frt One is overdrive drum speed sensor the other is ("I have no idea what the little plug in(that I thought was the VSS) on the back of the trans is for (the trans is a 2002))" try output shaft speed sensor!! . Are they the ones you are talking about? Are they the ones you need to wire in? Both are held in by a t30 torx bolt.

this is the speedometer operation
"Anti-Lock Brake Speed Sensor
The programmable speedometer/odometer module (PSOM) receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor. After processing the signal, the PSOM relays it to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the speed control module. Information from the PSOM is used to help determine shift scheduling, torque converter clutch operation and electronic pressure control
"I did find out that 1998 and newer Rangers, the speed sensor is run off of the differential ABS sensor." again is that not what i said? you have had this info for days so since I see you did not will not reply so you are not interested in my help I won't bother you any more so good luck ..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals