• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires/lifting

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, explorers are coil sprung in the front obviously, and leaf sprung in the back, the leafs mount to the underside of the axle in the back, if u want to keep it small i would just do the 2" lift, if u can find someone with the skyjacker 2" springs for the front itll bring it back to life, as far as the back i would actually just use the shackle in the picture. dont skimp on shocks, lift is cheap but good shocks are not, if u buy the nitro shocks ull be better off then and the gas filled garbage. i would also see about a 2" body lift, its about 100 online give or take, itll give u just enough rum not to rub anywhere, be able to flex and not be unstable with too much lift not enough tire i would just run a 33 as like has been said 32 is pretty much a obsolete size anymore lol

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
A axle flip kit is a U-shape piece of metal, that will take your Explorer axle off the top of your Leaf springs, and move it to the bottom of the leaf springs, and then later IF you want to go higher, you can get a set of lift blocks and raise it even higher, there should be a post in the Tech section about the Axle Flip kit, and it only cost some where around 60.00.

Robert

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A axle flip kit is a U-shape piece of metal, that will take your Explorer axle off the top of your Leaf springs, and move it to the bottom of the leaf springs, and then later IF you want to go higher, you can get a set of lift blocks and raise it even higher, there should be a post in the Tech section about the Axle Flip kit, and it only cost some where around 60.00.

Robert
those are junk though, absolutly not something u wanna put into a truck that would be wheeled, if u were to spring over then u buy new perches and have them welded on

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here are some extended ones on an Ex. Pretty self explanatory. Just make sure you get some for an Ex.
Man, that looks complicated....do i have to have the shocks set up like that with that crossbar thing??

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
na, those look like some fox air shocks on the back there, or something along those lines, big $$, dont gotta spend that unless ur trying to run dunes at full throttle LOL

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ohh ok. Whew that had me worried for a minute. Can i buy longer shocks just about anywhere?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pretty much, best prices will be found online, lve had good experiences with skyjacker and procomp nitro shocks, ive wheeled the piss out of trucks with them on and they never missed a beat

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool. Those shackles look hard to install.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had problems mounting up shackles. It's easy.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Removing your old ones will be the hardest part.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would go ahead and just pull ur leafsprings out and put new bushings in them while ur at it, as im sure the leafspring bushings are junk

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok well i will find a write up somewhere im sure on how to install the shackles. Yeah everything on my truck that i havent already taken care of will need replaced lol. All in good time. So in doin the shackles, how much of a lift are we really talking about? Are they adjustable? I dont want too much of a lift to where i cant even get into the seat lol. Someone on explorer forum told me to also do a 2" body lift....isthat really necessary if i raise the suspension more than 2"?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok well i will find a write up somewhere im sure on how to install the shackles. Yeah everything on my truck that i havent already taken care of will need replaced lol. All in good time. So in doin the shackles, how much of a lift are we really talking about? Are they adjustable? I dont want too much of a lift to where i cant even get into the seat lol. Someone on explorer forum told me to also do a 2" body lift....isthat really necessary if i raise the suspension more than 2"?
the reason i mentioned the bushing is youra are probably non existent, and taking the bolt out of them is gonna make it that much worse, they will most likely just fall apart

u get about 2" out of a shackle lift, u can do a body lift aswell, a explorer on 35s isnt very big, its a advantage of smaller vehicles

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok sweet i didnt want really more than 2" of suspension lift. How would i do a body lift? Is that something i should have done? Or can one do that at home?

I will get the leafspring bushings. How long do leafsprings usually last b4 they need replaced?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it depends on how badly the vehicle was beat or how its used, most stock exploder springs should be fine, a body lift is very easy todo at home aslong as u follow instructions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals