• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The south west is going dry

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's the growing season. In Ohio the growing season is probably half that of California. But I don't remember seeing any kind of irrigation being done in Ohio. Yes the lakes are going down there is talk about having to dredge the marinas. You will never get them to limit the world population. What used to die by war, disease, famine, and weather are surviving.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the growing season. In Ohio the growing season is probably half that of California.
I saw on tv last night that 80% of the water in California goes to farming. So cut it half, do you think with no irrigation equipment (center pivots, cannels...) Ohio is using 40% of the states water to grow its crops?

No, it uses what falls from the sky for half the year. :icon_idea:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You will never get them to limit the world population. What used to die by war, disease, famine, and weather are surviving.
So true...we can decide to limit the population ourselves voluntarily or Mother Nature will do it for us. Ever seen a habitat/ecosystem vastly overrun by one species??...Mother Nature finds a way to take it out, back down to an environmentally friendly level...if the species has something to contribute to the overall ecosystem. Farming isn't causing the weather/drought changes, but the overgrown population we keep feeding is. If America loses its crops for 3-4 seasons in a row, people overseas will drop like flies after the supermarket and food riots abate. There's a sayin' out West...Whiskey's for drinkin, water's for fightin' over...west of the Mississippi it's always been about who controls the water...that's why the gubmint is finding ways to own all the water...if you live in a water-rights state you've seen this already.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Planet has 4 times the people than it can support, there are only two things that are infinite, space and human stupidity, and people think that oil is so lmportant, that they pump water into the ground to help bring it up, the same with fracting, let me know how the oil tastes

based on???? looking at the bumper years of other critical mass issues...mice/rats we are not even close globally.....on the other hand certain areas of the world on a local basis offers a perspective of massive overpopulation.... a different issue altogether local to global.. in that sense there are solid basis for population limit.

research united nations agenda 21....
and the georgia guidestones....
yeah....the 500 million number seems a solid item with those clowns. sustainable developers are as patently full of shit as it gets on the numbers as any other group.

So true...we can decide to limit the population ourselves voluntarily or Mother Nature will do it for us. Ever seen a habitat/ecosystem vastly overrun by one species??...Mother Nature finds a way to take it out, back down to an environmentally friendly level...if the species has something to contribute to the overall ecosystem. Farming isn't causing the weather/drought changes, but the overgrown population we keep feeding is. If America loses its crops for 3-4 seasons in a row, people overseas will drop like flies after the supermarket and food riots abate. There's a sayin' out West...Whiskey's for drinkin, water's for fightin' over...west of the Mississippi it's always been about who controls the water...that's why the gubmint is finding ways to own all the water...if you live in a water-rights state you've seen this already.

at the end of the day, as women globally are educated to the issues at hand....i dont fear long term overpopulation.... although many have no choice at this moment to this...or rather the vast majority at the moment, time passes and shit gets worse and better....take brazil as an example. i know when i was looking through some projections a few years back i was really impressed how they are shaking out.

the a21 tards and the whole overpopulation...global warming-errr climate change revolutionaries and even the occupy clowns were killing me with the 1 percenter bullshit.

perspective is a m-f-er.

for instance in the world at this time on the whole according to some of the things i have been watching(this is paraphrase detail)....the poor in america earning like 17 k a year are the top 1 percent earners of the world population.....if the clowns at the occupy rally were willing to give 75% of their meager earnings to some big happy single common agenda 21 type governing world order so the rest of the world could live better...or rather equally miserable it would at least be consistent.

everything they apply to the 1 percent greedy wallstreet fawks is easily justified towards our entire american society from 99 percent of the world.

i guess its pretty easy to talk about over population and water issues from where we stand in america right now, but looking around the last few years i think we may be getting a reality check. sooner than later.

water and energy always at the center of it.

energy is the ability to produce. the true governing authority overall.

no water, no food. no food, no energy.

i sure as hell dont think the world has 5 times its population limit....not even at our current energy consumption extreme inefficiency.

sidebar toxicity of consumption seems reasonable for a population argument rather then the planets actual ability to produce.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pollution, manmade issues causes this to happen. Then when the rain does begin, the floods will start. History repeats itself. Years ago I always said 'When we get all this heavy rain and flooding, why doesn’t anyone pump out the water and put in tankers and use it where there is drought. The rain water can be purified for drinking as well. The water can be used for irrigation/crops...livestock'. Nobody ever listens I guess. I have had rain barrels for over 30 years I have used to water my gardens and our yard and to give our horses drinking water whenever we go into a bit of a drought. Easy and cheap...the rain water is free!!! Go figure, mankind.
Stray.... the problem is.... We are the ones that listened to what the old guys had to say... ( we have many rain barrels here ) most others of our age, where too busy off trying to make money...

It's too bad that money can NOT water your garden or wash your (their) car 5 times a week.....

:) Greg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Stray.... the problem is.... We are the ones that listened to what the old guys had to say... ( we have many rain barrels here ) most others of our age, where too busy off trying to make money...

It's too bad that money can NOT water your garden or wash your (their) car 5 times a week.....

in many areas it is illegal to do that.

we have allot of water here, but i still want a 5000 gallon working cistern based off the gutters. in many of the areas discussed here you could land yourself in court if ya got caught with a barrel or cistern....which i find disturbing really.

back home in the detroit area when i was building a house i started to spud a well i intended to water my lawn with as we were only 2-3000 feet from the detroit river/lake erie and i knew it was only 20 feet or so of pounding to get water that would be fine for the lawn when i got around to putting a lawn in. i have done that many times as a kid down there and in the area i currently reside....

that got me in some serious shit. i was told to stop, and that offended me to a breaking point, but the law won on that.

if i had to do it over again....i would have played dumb and said sorry and stopped instantly....cut a hole in the basement floor and did it the way i always did when i was younger for other folks....i forgot why till i got into it with the inspector and it was too late...paying 300 a month water bills because people in the city proper dont pay is incentive enough for that.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The earth's ability to produce is not the issue, nor is man's efficiency when he really puts his mind to something...like farming. The issue is exponential population growth consuming nonrenewable resources and polluting as it goes on its way. Only Mother Nature knows how many humans is enough/just right/too much and we're close to finding that out I think. Doesn't matter much what you can do/produce or how efficiently you can do it if there is no potable water to keep the human species and other species alive. I'll be worm food before people start killing over water, but you younger people will probably see it...we're already seeing human conflict over dinosaur juice necessary to fuel industry and societies based on consumption. Where's the brake pedal on this mess??

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
not that oil isn't renewable because the same processes that made it are at work today. it just takes a very long time (geologic time scale as opposed to a human time scale). the human race has only been around for about a blink in geologic time. and we are consuming resources on our time scale. just to put it into perspective..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
not that oil isn't renewable because the same processes that made it are at work today. it just takes a very long time (geologic time scale as opposed to a human time scale).
Eh, not really. Under the correct conditions oil can be produced quite quickly. A matter of years, not millenia. It is quite similar to the process for producing diamonds, except that is requires more heat and pressure, and you don't put in #2 pencils, you put in trees and squirrels and other things that can be eaten, so we are back to the food or gas argument.

People were digging around in the blast field from Mt St Helens a few years back and found small deposits of oil very close to the surface. Made from trees and squirrels and such that had been growing and living there at the time of the eruption.

So it's not that oil can't be made quickly, it's just that it is very energy intensive to do it. It puts oil on par with solar as far as renewable.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
:icon_thumby:^
There's very few places left in the world where man hasn't interrupted those natural processes. Now it's volcanic, flood or mass earth movement that buries the parts to become the fossil stuff like we find now, rather than the slow burial of geologic time.
Granted there are the examples of those type of fossil events, (Cambrian Burgess Shale in the Canadian Rockies and many more), but the slow cook has been the recipe, i.e. carboniferous coal beds with whole specimens of vegetation.
There's probably some of the process at work, but the renewal is not as it has been. A million years might change that . . .

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Hate to jump off topic, but since oil was brought up.....
I can't see how anyone believes that oil is a fossil fuel....as in dead dinosaurs.
Almost a laughable Theory now. Because if that is the case, people still believe that there were enough dinosaurs walking around back then to produce billions of barrels of oil every year from decayed corpses? Also the world still has trillions of barrels of oil reserves in the ground?
I think a better logical theory is oil is produced by the earth...like blood.
It’s the earth's blood and the earth (heart) keeps pumping to replace it.
We humans (parasites) act like mosquitos and suck it out of the ground every time we find a vein. So yeah...I don't buy the whole "peak oil" garbage...that were going to run out.
But I don't agree with our human activity of trying to force it out of the ground with fracking, pumping saltwater down, and all other dangerous means.
The main reason I am against the Keystone pipeline is they want to run it right through the Ogallala aquifer. Yea...I don't think so! We suck at maintaining infrastructure and I don't think we need to destroy the aquifer with oil leaks.
Since I am back to the topic of water...the desalination plants take HUGH amounts of power to run. So there requires the need for more nuclear reactors/power plants... and we all know how great they are.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic

It is a pain sometimes, Bro!!! Years ago people used to laugh at someone makeing bottled water. Spring water came out bottled, purified water came out bottled. Go figure, that bottle water bussiness is huge. I just hope those states that need the rain so bad willget it soon and not heavy flooding.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
A process called thermal de-polymerization can make fuel in a few days from garbage. Just about any hydrocarbon, carbohydrate refuse. The smell is ghastly. It generates enough methane to fuel the process. :D

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I just watched a show called 'Flow: For Love of Water'. The issue of the worlds fresh water supply is becoming more and more of a concern for me. They were talking about companies like Nestle that pump so much water from the ground and sell it. It's odd. Growing up near the Great Lakes, I never worried about fresh water. The more I learn, the more I worry about the future of fresh water, and the less I want to move very far from a huge fresh water resource.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals