• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The south west is going dry

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Don't worry guys when I become an Engineer I will solve this!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
hmmmm...if engineering is anything like medicine or other research your efforts would have to be pro bono until you come up with something valid...and in the mean time you will spend more time designing things correcting mistakes made by others...

I always wanted to be a doctor...until I found out that most of them die prematurely from drug or alcohol addiction...I think they even have mortality rates figured out somewhere that tell you what you will most likely croak from if you spend your life in a career...

People who live the longest live in desert plains, eat mostly vegetables, and smoke dope or other available plants...something to strive for!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just Leave the Great Lakes alone. The southwest is trying to make a pipeline from the lakes to there and then use up our water here in the midwest. Desalinization is the best bet you guys have as well as conservation. No pools and no green golf courses water to be used only for non decorative/recreational purposes only.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Mother Nature is already taking care of this...reduce the world population of humans to a sustainable level, simple as that...whoever's left gets to fight for the renewable water sources and the strongest prevails.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
They could just stop filling their mansion swimming pools since they're right by the damn ocean. Which brings up another huge point, they're right by the ocean there's plenty of water, and there are systems out there to desalinate the water...The navy uses these systems all the time.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Just Leave the Great Lakes alone. The southwest is trying to make a pipeline from the lakes to there and then use up our water here in the midwest. Desalinization is the best bet you guys have as well as conservation. No pools and no green golf courses water to be used only for non decorative/recreational purposes only.
I grew up a 1/2 mile from Lake Erie. Spent most of my life living within a few miles of it. I never thought much about not having water. It's right there.

It would be crazy to live by a major body of water, but not have water to drink/use.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
For the past couple of years I keep hearing that the southwest wants to build a pipeline to the great lakes and use our water here to fill their pools.:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I grew up a 1/2 mile from Lake Erie.
Where was that? You might have lived near or gone to school with my mom or one of her younger siblings.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I believe that some of it has to be because of the farming that is done. They say that CA. has some of the richest land in the US for growing. Plus the seasons are longer. The water level of the Great Lakes has been going down for some years now. I thought that desalinization plants didn't last that long. The saltwater is very corrosive.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe that some of it has to be because of the farming that is done. They say that CA. has some of the richest land in the US for growing. Plus the seasons are longer. The water level of the Great Lakes has been going down for some years now. I thought that desalinization plants didn't last that long. The saltwater is very corrosive.
Blaming the lack of rain on farming is a bit of a stretch...

Plopping big cities in a land that can't support them (hence why they dammed up the water to start with) is the problem.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Feeding a world population that won't regulate itself is the problem...more people suck more trees/resources from the earth...yadda, yadda, yadda...and we keep feeding them for the almighty buck...then we start running out of the resources that we need to sustain the system that feeds the world. See where this is going? Mother Nature hates parasites.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Feeding a world population that won't regulate itself is the problem...more people suck more trees/resources from the earth...yadda, yadda, yadda...and we keep feeding them for the almighty buck...then we start running out of the resources that we need to sustain the system that feeds the world. See where this is going? Mother Nature hates parasites.
:icon_confused:

i dont agree to this, as education and women empowerment grows 1-2 kids becomes the rule. the turn around on that is scary in a 40 year cycle. go from "potentially too many" to unsustainable. white people will be endangered species at most present rates.

i have seen estimates of sustainable world population from 500 million to 60 billion over the years. nobody knows.

the great lakes are way down compared to the 60's...i worked in port sanilac all last fall up to mid jan...i was shocked at some of the levels recorded on the wall over 60 years where i fished from....

the ogallala is the big issue.

fuk california....the ogallala means more to me then anything in cali....cali is easily solved with technology in the sense of cost ratio and what we actually have to do it with now.

at the end of the day, there is a hard cycle noted from tree rings mentioned earlier that is truly indicitive that we are screwed. this would happen according to that data....whether we humans are present on this rock or not.

look at the societies of the original natives, some even thought to be the ones that bred our current corn lineage that instantly disappeared due to water and potential forest mismanagement issues(thought to be self inflicted from overpopulation in a desert:D)and its easy to imagine there will be flight on the level of the dust bowl at the minimum... if the cost effectiive solutions are here, it fill be one issue...but the political failings of our society in current up against this real natural event and crumbling infrastructure bid a gloomy future for us americans.

potentially horrific future...and i dont mean 10 years from now either.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Planet has 4 times the people than it can support, there are only two things that are infinite, space and human stupidity, and people think that oil is so lmportant, that they pump water into the ground to help bring it up, the same with fracting, let me know how the oil tastes

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the ogallala is the big issue.

fuk california....the ogallala means more to me then anything in cali....cali is easily solved with technology in the sense of cost ratio and what we actually have to do it with now.
I went out to Wyoming 2 years ago for vacation in early August, it was a dry year then too. I remember one of the Platte rivers was bone dry, not a drop of water in it... and they were still running the center pivots watering the dead corn right beside it. It was dead dead, 5' tall and the ears were half size in both dia and length... get out the chopper and make silage because it won't pay to combine it dead. And they were still dumping water on it.

On my little patch, we couldn't get it planted until early June last year because it wouldn't quit raining, it got maybe two or three ok rains after that at just about perfect timings and it was green until the frost killed it this fall. Still made over 100 bushel/acre and the corn only saw about 3" of rain all summer... that is what you get when you are not trying to farm sand. The depth control was terrible, it was so muddy the planter wouldn't close (and the packer wheels were picking up mud pulling the row units out of the ground), I had to disc it to cover it... so my root base was crap to boot too. Horrid year, everybody was holding their breath...

IMO there is a lot of land that just shouldn't be farmed, the Ethonal boom isn't helping it any either. The price of corn being cut in half last summer should take some of the wind out of its sails.

Last edited:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
research united nations agenda 21....
and the georgia guidestones....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals