• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Deuce

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I think that would actually work better than the press/weld, but again, no one has yet to try it...I was actually going to go that route til I found out I can use a one piece in mine. But seeings how I will be building a RBV doubler in the next few months, I will be using this stye..
SVT

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Well if hardening was the issue I guess a guy could send it to get cryoed or get heat treated properly to harden the splines could they not?

I thouight about just cutting the output splined section of an rbv trans for the short shaft piece and then just getting the 1354 output bored out and splined to match the output chunk. 1 piece bored and machined instead of 2...

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not have the stock shaft lathed and splined? One piece hardened. Thats what mine was supposed to be, but the guy splined the wrong end so it turned into a 2 piece. But I will be getting him another to redo.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Dustin, so there is enough material there to spline the end?? I wasn't sure, but I thought there was...
SVT

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Why not have the stock shaft lathed and splined? One piece hardened. Thats what mine was supposed to be, but the guy splined the wrong end so it turned into a 2 piece. But I will be getting him another to redo.
Well, to be honist, I am worried about having a thin hollow shaft that will break at the splines.... Also if you lathe it down it will no longer be hardened as you would have lathed the hardening away would you not?? Kinda what I'm worried about when I have the c4 output shaft turned down and splined.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha. Let us know how it works.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Like you said, I would get it machined, heat treated then vetoed for the best results...
SVT

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
im just making sure.....you did a full size axle swap and didnt shorten them, right?

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depends if the shaft is case hardened or full hardened. If it is case, then it would be soft in the middle. Turn one down, take it to a heat treater and have the rockwell checked

Type of metal will determine the heat treat process and weather it can be re treated or not also.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Depends if the shaft is case hardened or full hardened. If it is case, then it would be soft in the middle. Turn one down, take it to a heat treater and have the rockwell checked

Type of metal will determine the heat treat process and weather it can be re treated or not also.
Oh ok, is that something they can tell just by looking at the steel? Do you know how far into the shaft case hardening would go?

im just making sure.....you did a full size axle swap and didnt shorten them, right?
Yes I did a "full size truck" axle swap, no shortened anything. My front high pinion d44 came from a 76 f100 4x4 and the rear 9" came from an early 80's f150. Both measure 65" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface right from the factory. These are unmolested 1/2 ton full size Ford truck axles rebuilt and spools installed.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, you can't look at it and tell. They can spark test it it figure out the type of steel, and from there you can get a good idea of the heat treat process or if you can anneal and reharden it. You could probably cut it down to length and check the Rockwell in the cut section also.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Let the tubing fly!!

SVT

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
This last year flew by, I was too busy to sit and think. But things are slowing down again and I can finally get back to what I enjoy doing, building and wheeling.

Well, got out wheeling finally, first time since september. Blew first gear out of the fm146. This 27 year old factory 86 bii trans lasted amazingly long for what it is.

Poor Bronco has been romped hard over the last few years and now she could use some tlc. Lots of little stuff has quit working, like signals, , oil pressure gage, heater fan, and wiper washer, I've broken a rear shock off, worn out all the rear spring bushings, shock bushings are hashed too, pan hard mount at the d44 has wobbled out the big ass bolt in the factory cast bracket, fuel relay needs replacing, rear shackle hanger is almost torn off the frame now. I was never happy with my upper and lower coils spring mounts up front and the pan hard frame bracket needs a support brace added to prevent frame twist. Same with the front bump stop location needs improvement. I want to build an engine cross menber and engine cage, eliminate rad support and front inner fenders, blah blah blah right. Long stary short the decision has been made.

Time for her to go under the knife......again.....

Picked up an np205 to twin stick for the build yesterday. Hopefully buying my buddies 96 gt40 5L Expo very soon too.

The loose plan at this point is gt40 5L/4r70/np205 but until I have the Expo in my 2 bay garage/shop, it's still up in the air. Hoping I can get this in progress in the next month or so then the plan will be to take it one step at a time. Tare down, clean up, fabrication and swap, reassembly and then finally beat down, lol. I'll try and keep this updated as frequently as I can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals