• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Deuce

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
you need to hurry up and get wheelin lol. but i do have to say your probally far closer to it then i am now...

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
you need to hurry up and get wheelin lol. but i do have to say your probally far closer to it then i am now...
Oh I'm wheeling it, In fact she's still dirty from the last trip out, lol, she's ready to play.

The plan is to gather and build everything before I even touch the bronco, so down time is minimal when I perform the swap. This time of year is tough finding time to wheel but she be wheeling for the whole winter provided I don't grenade something big lol. These last couple weeks before Christmas are far too busy but once Xmas has past its AWN! I'll be wheeling every chance I get.

Hoping to have everything built and ready for a spring time swap fest, gives me a few more months from now to get my shit together anyways.

Oh and we have at least a foot of snow here now too! lol

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i was just outside in a t shirt and painted the hood of the samurai... its 13 degrees here still

christopherjones

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.6L Sohc (94 xr7
Transmission
Automatic
Small steps. Appreciate that you have a shop that yu can get a vehicle into and not have cold drafty snow blowing directly on yah like last the last few years
Just having a dry floor is nice but being without six shirts three sweaters and a parka would definitely make crawling around under trucks a lot mo comfortable

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Small steps. Appreciate that you have a shop that yu can get a vehicle into and not have cold drafty snow blowing directly on yah like last the last few years
Just having a dry floor is nice but being without six shirts three sweaters and a parka would definitely make crawling around under trucks a lot mo comfortable
Ya man! Definitely neeeeed heat in the shop now, it's cold and I need six shirts 3 sweaters and a parka just to keep warm in there.

Started pulling the c4 apart yesterday, my hands froze before I got very far into it. Working with thick winter gloves isnt very fun.

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
how did you make the coil mounts on the axle?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
how did you make the coil mounts on the axle?
I used the stock lower coil plate and spring retainer from the 77 d44. the ones that originally bolted to the top of the radius arm. Instead of attaching to the arm I welded them to a piece of 2x2 and then welded that to the axle tube inboard of the radius arm. My theory was that having the springs closer to the center of the vehicle I could possibly achieve more suspension travel than if I spaced out the upper spring mounts like everyone else was doing. Using a shorter spring to get more flex was the idea. LOL It was a theory anyways, she can twist up pretty good.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For sure, send em my way if you need to. I ain't forgot about ya, I just put 6k miles on the road since monday, so I really only have a chance to get online on weekends...shoot me a pm with some pics so I know what i can tell the machinist needs to be done. But like you were saying, get the adapters fabbed and the doubler built so you can get an accurate measurement on the shaft...Have you figured out if you will have enough material with the shaft, or will you need a new shaft??
SVT

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
its a good idea actually, how has it gone so far?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
its a good idea actually, how has it gone so far?
So far so good! :D

For sure, send em my way if you need to. I ain't forgot about ya, I just put 6k miles on the road since monday, so I really only have a chance to get online on weekends...shoot me a pm with some pics so I know what i can tell the machinist needs to be done. But like you were saying, get the adapters fabbed and the doubler built so you can get an accurate measurement on the shaft...Have you figured out if you will have enough material with the shaft, or will you need a new shaft??
SVT
Yeah I've been poking away at disassembling the c4's and still need to p/u those 2 1354e's so I can use the planetaries and input shaft from one of them.

So dang busy getting ready for xmas I hardly have time to think, lol. Oh well 3 more work days then things will calm down after this weekend and I'll finally be able to get shit done!

I'm undecided on whether the shaft is able to be splined, hard to measure it with the speedo threads. It might be thick enough at the speedo threads, however, with the governor off it definitely is thick enough. AA says to remove the governor assembly for the shortest c4 combo possible, but then they say you need a reverse manual valve body.

Heres the 2wd c4 output shaft.

This 2wd c4 I got was smoked I think, what was left of the fluid was very dark with lots of silver and the pan only had 2 bolts holding it on, lol. Not that it matters as I'm using the 4wd c4 and rebuilding it anyways.

Every thing I've read says the 4wd c4 uses the "truck" case that has heavier duty case and internals compared to the 2wd "car" c4.

Is there a trick to getting the pump out?

Last edited:

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Well after fighting with the c4 pump I beat the snot out of it with a dead blow and it finally came out.

I now have 1 shaft ready for shipping.

Apart the c4 came to extract output shaft.

Then back together loosely so as not to loose any parts.

So I found out some more useful info on the c4 front. The light duty case fill c4's from cars are the bell housing match for the rbv c5 only. The EB pan fill c4 and the truck pan fill c4's are not a match, the bell housings DO NOT interchange between pan fill and case fill. The tail shaft and tail housings however do interchange. Some internals interchange but this depends on what year each case is from as they changed valve bodies and drive/reverse drum spline and size throughout the production life of the c4. Parts will swap but you might need more than just one part when swapping in older or newer internals as changes made to internals required several parts being changed to work together.

I pulled the 1354e apart only to find it has a 4 pinion planetary... :(
1354e apart with shitty 4 pinion planetary. I'm trying to locate a newer 1354e to rob the planetaries and associated parts from. For now this one will serve as template for doubler plate build, trans-tcase adapter build and output and spud shaft measurements.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Payin and playin!

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Also got the shaft out of the 1354, so all 3 shafts are ready for shipping as soon as I can get the doubler plate built and measure for the spud shaft and get the adapter built and measured for the output shaft length.

Hey for you 1354 doubler guys, why couldn't this work better than what lots of guys are doing? ( I came across this pic on Pirate)

Heres my parts all apart, lol.

Heres the 3 shafts ready for travel.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cheapthrills had that shaft made, I don't think it's been run in a case yet. It's hard to predict how it will perform once its installed. I wish someone would use it so we could find out though. haha

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah? OK

I've been thinking about this type of shaft (among others) for a while. I wasn't sure on it's performance either as the inside splines aren't cut into the hardened shaft surface but rather the slightly softer inner shaft. You'd think it should be stronger than the press and weld type shafts some guys are running. (and breaking)

If you don't mind me asking, what type of shaft are you running in your doubler Bray D?

I'd be a willing tester if he were to free-bee it my way, lol. Tho it looks a little longer than necessary, I'm sure it could be shortened if need be...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals