• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spark plug wires to distributer

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ok the cylinder order is in fact
front

That link shows the firing order for ALL Ford V6 engines, regardless of year or application.

You are at the point where you need to start from scratch.

Take plug 1 out, stick your finger in the plug hole and have someone bump the key until you feel a puff of air out of the hole. Then put the plug back in, take the dis stem out and set the rotor between the two markings near the TFI module. Set the dis stem back in, adjust it so the rotor is centered between the marks again and put the cap back on. Then wire it up and time it.
There are actually two different "firing orders" or at least two different ways the plug wires can go on 2.8's specifically, not that it matters for his application, just FYI for you. Depends on year of vehicle, what distributor you have, and it ONLY applies if you are doing a Duraspark conversion.

There are also in fact Torx screws on TFI modules.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
well i found my problem..i went and replaced the tfi module liek yous said and it wasnt hard at all but i did lose one of the bolts which i gotta find..anyway still didnt fire up so i went and tried a new relay and it fired right up..but shortly after it blew..this means i have a short but im not sure on how to fix that

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
are you referring to the starter solenoid? on the passenger fender? if you are you can manually jump the connections with a metal screwdriver if you need to take the bronco anywhere.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
are you referring to the starter solenoid? on the passenger fender? if you are you can manually jump the connections with a metal screwdriver if you need to take the bronco anywhere.
well im not sure what a starter solenoid is but i bought a fuel pump relay and put it in the spot of a relay in the front fender..there were 3 of them i just replaced the one that looked like the one i bought and the truck fired up..then shorty after the relay or something blew cuz its not starting again.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Some of the first gens have multiple fuel pump relays. My '86 Ranger has two of them. You can carefully pull the caps off them to see if they burned out.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I`m just wondering if it a bad connection take a small screwdriver and push the wires in from the back side of the relay connector with the relay in and try that or just look at the connectors and see there all the way in the plastic. I had the same problem with my voltage regulator after changing it found out its just a bad connection. check the fuel pump also. I turns over and has spark right

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
was looking at a schematic and what the f#*c is the inertia switch and what does it do it is between the relay and fuel pumps

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
was looking at a schematic and what the f#*c is the inertia switch and what does it do it is between the relay and fuel pumps
The inertia switch cuts power to the fuel pumps in the event of a crash. You, specifically, don't have one because they are only on fuel injected trucks.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks where is it located this poster is having trouble getting his truck started and it is pointing toward fuel issues

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It is located under the carpet on the passenger side floorboard but I don't think that is his issue.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
yeh only reason im thinking of a short in the wires is cuz as soon as i replace the relay it fired up and my starting issues were over then i heard it blow and the truck went back to the same issue..so even if there were 2 relays its def that one that keeps going bad..my dads gonna check each wire with his electric tools and try to find the wires shorting out..but if theres other reasons this still could be happening id love for your input..

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
I`m just wondering if it a bad connection take a small screwdriver and push the wires in from the back side of the relay connector with the relay in and try that or just look at the connectors and see there all the way in the plastic. I had the same problem with my voltage regulator after changing it found out its just a bad connection. check the fuel pump also. I turns over and has spark right
it definatly has spark i felt that lol..and it does turn over..only other problem could be fuel but wen i replaced the relay and it fired up it blew out within a minute..so i found why its not starting but now i gotta find out how to stop that..where would i be able to get a schmatic of the setup? trying to look and i cant find..i wanna make sure i replaced the right relay

Last edited:

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
can someone take a few pictures of theres motors and post em on here..i believe my grandpop did a motor swap with another 2.9 and i wanna check out what the wiring harness and stuff are supposed to look like

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
It is located under the carpet on the passenger side floorboard but I don't think that is his issue.
you think the inertia switch could be shorting out my relay?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
you think the inertia switch could be shorting out my relay?
Doubt it, but you could temporarily eliminate it and put a piece of wire or a paper clip in the plug.

When you turn the key to "on" without moving it to "start" can you hear your fuel pumps run for a second or two? Should sound like a quiet whining noise under the truck.

If you find the diagnostic port (red plug) in your wiring harness, you can ground out one of the wires on that to make your fuel pump run constantly for testing purposes. Your key has to be turned to "on" for this to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals