• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spark plug wires to distributer

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
im an idiot and forgot to mark which plug wires went on the distributer cap...can anyone help and tell me where to put each plug wire on the distributer?

-jeff

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
there is a number 1 stamped on the distributor cap.

from the front of the vehicle the cylinders go as followed

3 6
2 5
1 4

so start with the number one it is stamped and attach it to cylinder 1
going clockwise after that is 4 2 5 3 6 and then your back to 1.
Edit found a picture of the firing order just click th elink
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/2_9_firingorder.gif

Last edited:

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
there is a number 1 stamped on the distributor cap.

from the front of the vehicle the cylinders go as followed

3 6
2 5
1 4

so start with the number one it is stamped and attach it to cylinder 1
going clockwise after that is 4 2 5 3 6 and then your back to 1.
Edit found a picture of the firing order just click th elink
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/2_9_firingorder.gif
is this for a 88 bronco II? i tried that way and i tried 246 on the driver side and 135 on the other and that didnt work either still wont fire..

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok the cylinder order is in fact
front

That link shows the firing order for ALL Ford V6 engines, regardless of year or application.

You are at the point where you need to start from scratch.

Take plug 1 out, stick your finger in the plug hole and have someone bump the key until you feel a puff of air out of the hole. Then put the plug back in, take the dis stem out and set the rotor between the two markings near the TFI module. Set the dis stem back in, adjust it so the rotor is centered between the marks again and put the cap back on. Then wire it up and time it.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Ok the cylinder order is in fact
front

That link shows the firing order for ALL Ford V6 engines, regardless of year or application.

You are at the point where you need to start from scratch.

Take plug 1 out, stick your finger in the plug hole and have someone bump the key until you feel a puff of air out of the hole. Then put the plug back in, take the dis stem out and set the rotor between the two markings near the TFI module. Set the dis stem back in, adjust it so the rotor is centered between the marks again and put the cap back on. Then wire it up and time it.
what are the normal reasons the broncos dont fire up? i dont know much about em my grandpop left me a hunting/woods truck wen he passed away and it ran for 2 days good but at the end of the day it wouldnt start and i cant figure out why

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Try the TFI module. On the first 5 years or so of Ford's Fuel Injection systems they were usually the culprit in no-starts or poor running.

Check for spark. Stick a screw driver in the dis end of the coil wire and have someone crank it while you hold the driver near the hood prop-rod. If its blue-white you are good, if its yellow-orange, get a new TFI.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Try the TFI module. On the first 5 years or so of Ford's Fuel Injection systems they were usually the culprit in no-starts or poor running.

Check for spark. Stick a screw driver in the dis end of the coil wire and have someone crank it while you hold the driver near the hood prop-rod. If its blue-white you are good, if its yellow-orange, get a new TFI.
alright ill have to check that out tomorrow or something..i just put all new spark plugs and wires on it cuz its pretty beat 183k miles but was running good now just wont start..

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
TFI biggest annoyance ever. i have been through about 3 in a year. just keep one in your glove box.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
TFI biggest annoyance ever. i have been through about 3 in a year. just keep one in your glove box.
The small blocks and the cars didn't usually have as much trouble with them. It was really just the Ranger/B2 engines that were trouble because they lived at the back and didn't ever get any air. That's why they overheat and fry so often.

They still account for about 90% of the no start/rough running on the cars and v-8s those just had fewer overall problems after going to FI.

camobroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
is it hard to replace this? keep in mind i dont really kno to much about this stuff..motor yes distributors and electric no

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
it is fairly simple just its kinda to hard to reach. and little room. it is on the back of the dizzy 2 bolts on the back need a deep socket or a depending on what bolt is holding it in. torx

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is an easier way. Go to advanced, get your self a Ford TFI tool for $5. Slip it in there and use a wrench to undo the bolts with it. Then it will just pull down.

I've never seen a TFI bolt in a torx.

They are 7/32, and you will need a deep, thin-wall socket, which are hard to find, or a $5 common tool that can be found at any advanced auto.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It`s either or thin wall socket or torx I say turn the distributor till tdc on #1 piston note where the rotor position is and pull the distributor to change it the first time anyway be sure and use the heat sink grease on the flat surface when you put it back together you just need to make sure the rotor ends up in the same position when you put it back together. there not cheap but if you buy the cheap one you will probably be changing it again that much sooner. the last time I did it my coil was bad if you have a multimeter and some time the tech section has procedures for testing the ignition and find out for sure before replacing expensive parts GL

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
There is an easier way. Go to advanced, get your self a Ford TFI tool for $5. Slip it in there and use a wrench to undo the bolts with it. Then it will just pull down.

I've never seen a TFI bolt in a torx.

They are 7/32, and you will need a deep, thin-wall socket, which are hard to find, or a $5 common tool that can be found at any advanced auto.
I have ran in to a torx on a tfi from an 88 and to top it off it was a security torx....

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals