• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seeking 2.9l to 4.0 4x4 manual swap help and electrical guidance

jules82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The code on the ECM is F27F-12A650-TC I got it on eBay from Penrose Auto Salvage in CO the engine harness I got from NC on eBay both 5 speed 92 very hard to find I have the harness and ECM for my engine but to much work I will sell it for a 4 cly. To 4.0 93 or 94 it's a 4 wheel drive 5 speed

Sent from my iPhone

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
theres severel nice looking 4 bangers in the local pick a part yards around here i think they want around 200 $ for a complete engine, but theres hardly any 4.0 stuff just lots of late model 95 n newer stuff
or look on Craigslist. thats where i found my 4.0 n it was cheaper then anywhere else

jules82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's where I got the 94 40 for $300 with $50000 miles. I want to put headers on the 4.0 I'm putting in my 90 Bronco II will any work?

Sent from my iPhone

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
im guessing at this point, But it would make sense that 91-92 explorer Headers for 4.0l would work just fine. as the engine bay of the two vehicles is the same.
just make sure you get the same specs as your B2 because if your b2 is 4 wheel and u get 2w explorer headers thats where the problems usually run
other then that they should fit nicely with the 4.0 in your 90 B2 frame

I know people have been looking this thread over!! any help with that last electric question? id probally be tearing it apart right now if i had a lil more help

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well pretty much spent all day on TRS Browsing lots n lots of usefull info on my 4.0 swap
but im still a little skeptical
I Need some support from the all knowledgable RBV Gurus on here

I would of started pulling my 2.9 today and at least have the engine bay cleaned up, But i use my B2 as my DD and its my only vehicle.
so i dont want to have it inoperable for too long, as i do work n need my truck

so ive heard you can use the 4.0 computer from the auto trans 91 explorer with my man trans (which i have) n make it work.
im going to end up tying the EX 4.0 and B2 4.0 harness together as its not looking good for a 90-92 ranger harness
i know its a lil more work but im up for it the suspense is killing me!!

right now i have a coolant leak from somewhere near the intake in my 2.9 and im putting a half gallon of antifreeze in everymorning before work and, when i get out of work. so its getting expensive to keep limping on this 2.9
ive thrown too much money at this thing.

TIME FOR THE 4.0!!!!

its looking like a Christmas Break project three days fri sat sun
hope it doesnt take that long,
because by that time ill have everything perfectly planned out HOPEFULLY

so Once agin anybody have the EVTM's for these vehicles??

I have read this build thread on a 91 auto 4.0 to a 89 b2 (exact same as mine)
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4-Liter_Conversion_wiring.html
He has a word file with all the correct splices

I would just like a broader diagram of the wireing on both vehicles.

im not new to replaceing engines but i have never gone this far into wireing anything.

Thanks Everyone for your help
-Sean

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry,
Been working on mine this past week when I had time, been in an exercise this past week too. 12 hours/day takes it's toll on you. Turns out the only EVTMs I don't have are the 89 BII and 91 Ex. Any others I've got you covered. As for the Ranger harness swap into a BII you will lose the ability for rear defrost/wiper, if you have them. The Ex harness should plug into your 89 but there will most likely be differences in pinouts. Also, the EX harness does not have the wiring for the rail mounted fuel pump so you have to splice there and the others shown in that write-up. You're right that the engine swap is the "easy" part but for the most part the woiring isn't bad as they are simalr vehicles. Also, on the subject of headers. Yes, you can use Ex header but the frame rails are not the same deminsions and you'll have to cut and/or notch the frame on the BII's passenger side. I have that next on the list for my 88/4.0BII project, right after the 8.8 axle I'm reading to go in, the man exfer case swap in, head gaskets, etc, etc.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
okay so today is the day i will be ripping into the B2!!!!!!
The 4.0 is my christmas present, lets hope its not a late one!!

Going to the inlaws for dinner/presents, then when i get back home the 2.9l is coming out!!!!!!

im planning on keeping my auto computer as i scoured both the LKQ pick a part yards around the greater grand rapids area and i couldnt find one manual 4.0 vehicle in both lots, i was pretty bummed.
so i need some questions answerd

What Sensors am i going to have to disable or short/cross on the auto trans part of my harness to disable the park/shift selector..
i currently have the clutch saftey switch on my b2 stuck open with a golf pencil so my clutch dosent need to be pushed in to start.

what other problems am i going to run into useing a auto computer on a manual trans?

ALSO still looking for 91 Explorer 4.0 auto trans 4x4 EVTM
ALSO LOOKING FOR 89 Bronco II 2.9 man trans 4x4 EVTM

Btw idc if your answers are 100% correct but a lil help is great help n will most likely help me figure out the problem

will keep everyone updated and the computer will be right next to me during the swap.
thanks for your help

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
also are the wiring colors going to be the same on the 89 B2 and The 91 Ex?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can use my write-up for the 89 B2 side. Wiring on the Ex side shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

And you can use an auto ecu, just bypass the neutral safety switch.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Sweet can u scan me the engine bay electrical diagrams or send a couple hi-def pics?
that would be awesome!!!

I just got the 2.9l out of the engine bay, boy is that thing a greasy mess!!!!!
Itll be a month or too before i wear that off lol

so tom after all the christmas festivities hopefully around 6pm ill be back to Working on the BII

First priority is to clean up the engine bay a bit then start compareing harnesses when im starting to feel comfortable with how the wiring will be ran ill drop the 4.0 in and start making my new harness.

OKay so for the guys that have done this What/where is going to be a good place to start my wiring Adventure?

i also took a lot of pics today of what i got accomplished too tired to upload them now but will tom for sure

Merry Christmas To Everyone At TRS!!!!!!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The wiring isnt that bad. Just start taking it out atarting at the computer and work around.

On mine the only place we spliced was at theback towards the taillights.
My donor was a 94 2wd Ranger.

My problems came w pw and the elec 4wd. No biggie. I switched to manual doors and tcase.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
First day ripping into the B2 Lots of Pics

Okay here is the last picture of the 2.9 untouched in the engine bay

heres the 4.0 once agin with the harness in a rats nest on top of it

Getting the 2.9 all unhooked just about ready to pull her from her old home
BTW IF ANYBODYS LOOKING FOR 2.9L Stuff My ENGINE IS UP FOR ADOPTION SOME SLIGHT PROBLEMS BUT It was running strongish before i pulled it out
all new gaskets less then 3 months ago entire engine was cleaned out all the grunge from the oil panect and new oil pump n new head gaskets

Gotta have a little heater in the cold here in michigan, we might not have snow yet but it gets a little chilly. this little heater does enough just to keep the nipp down, also im doing all of this in my garage that comes free with my aptment, not supposed to work on cars here but IM a REBEL

Here is where i cut my 2.9l fuel lines
still figuring how ill connect the two

this is how greasy my engine bay is although im not complaining at least i know my frame will never rust :D
partly from haveing a leaky clutch slave and a powersteering hose i waited months to get fixed along with valve covers leaking before the new gaskets

theres no going back now!!!!!
the old 2.9 has left the building

shows a little better exactly how much space im working with a little tight but im manageing at least im out of the wind and cold.

found out i got some rot on my radiator support, its still decently strong but it wouldnt hurt to replace it when the time and money is right.
truck spent is first ten years down in texas but these last ten years in michigan have been rough on her

Heres a better pic of my 2.9 if anyones interested not looking to get to much out of it so if anyones looking let me know

2.9 clutch basket

2.9l flywheel

not a bad lil motor but its on to bigger n better things now

theres the 4.0 not as pretty yet but def bigger :D

OKAY heres the wiring parts that ive came across so far
this plug not sure what it acctually goes to but this part is coming out of my B2 head light harness near the battery it has three wires going to the plug
there is the same plug coming out of the 4.0 harness from the ecm that wants to connect to it but this one has 4 wires, all the same colors just a extra wire with the 4.0
this is the b2 head light harness female side (3 wires)

this is the male side coming from the 4.o harness ecm plug (4 wires)

hoping i could make my first connection between the EX and B2 i tried plugging them together and this was preventing me

so there is my first electrical road block

Okay so i have the 4.0 ecm plug ran through the firewall and the engine control relays attached to the firewall i also have the mass of the harness that runs along the top back of engine bay sort of in place

here is where the 4.0 harness im guessing will tie in with the B2 headlight harness or the trans harness IDK IM getting closer to the SCAREY PART

this is where my spliceing will begin or wires will be rerouted? near the big white plug on drivers side,,, this is 4.0 harness

okay this is the EX Big white plug, it starts from fuse box runs behind headlights behind overflow/winshield resovior and ties back into the BIgwhite plug and the EX harness that runs over the back of the engine bay and i think connects into the plugs i previously metioned that i would have to splice for engine controls or trans switches

Im guessing i will be getting rid of most of this as everyone says i will use the B2 headlight harness
but what will i have to pull out of that mess? brake fliud resivoir switch?? windsheild wipers? oil pressure? water temp??
or will i use all of my existing connections from the B2???

Heres my garage as i left it tonight not too much space but as you can see im really diggin in at it

okay heres my fuse box on the b2 side and my ignition wire that goes to starter solinoid, im pretty sure im keeping this for the 4.0 correct me if im wrong. also the 2.9 alternator harness where it meets the box.

so i use all the alt wires from the B2 just splice the 4.0 alt wires to these here?
then start spliceing all the circuts from the b2 fuse box to the explorer fuse box like fuel pump, ecm, headlight, power windows, ect????

also it seems like i found a plug under my b2 dash that seems to wire what looks like heater wireing(not for certain) but it hooked to my 2.9 harness near ecm plug.

the big plug with about 8 wires on it on the right corner starts somewhere up in my dash and connects to the other gray plug on the left then leaves the cab next to the ecm rubber socket and plugs into my heater blower motor....
where the question arises is i see the same plug coming from the fuse box on the 4.0 harness and dosent run to my dash???
also there is a pink wrapped wire that plugged in by the ecm on the explorer and i dont know where or if it will go anywhere on my B2..

so basically if you know what any of these connections is please help me out, i am clueless untill i get these evtms or a RBV GURU magically shows up at my garage

sorry if i am rambleing or if something doesnt make sense please feel free to ask any questions or provide any bit of info it will Be greatly appreciated

now i shall go to sleep well 2.9ls and 4.0ls dance in my head and the colors and plug shapes begin to haunt me.

I HOPE EVERYONE AT TRS HAD A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!!!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The one by your headlights is your power windows.

I used the ranger harness on my headlights. I just spliced at the taillights.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Okay thanks for that bit of info any idea as to why there is a extra wire on the ex side? Maybe a extra ground is all I can think of:?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals